[FTB Ultimate] Centrifuge Extractor - How fast is it? What is M/S exactly?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Slaughtz

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all,

I looked on the official thread for the Advanced Machines mod, around the IC2 wiki and IC2 forums and wasn't able to find any details on the technical aspects of this machine's operation. I did find details in the FTB Wiki and the Technic Wiki, but they are inconsistent with each other.

The FTB wiki says:
"The default maximum processing speed is 1 item every 0.6 seconds."
And that "This machine cannot operate faster than 7500 M/S unless you add Overclocker Upgrades. The maximum achieveable speed is 10,800 M/S."
http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Centrifuge_Extractor

The Tekkit wiki says:
"At 7500 M/S it need 16 ticks(0.8 seconds) to every operation. Each Overclocker Upgrade reduces 1 tick of the operation time"
http://www.tekkitclassic.wikia.com/wiki/Centrifuge_Extractor

What's going on here? Why is one different from the other? Which one is correct, if any? If I didn't want to go by the word of wiki contributors alone and do a test myself, how would I go about doing that?

I've tried looking for mods to slow down my games' ticks per second, but I couldn't find any that I would be confident would affect the timing of every operation the Centrifuge Extractor performs. For example, a slow time mod that seemed to keep the same ticks per second for the player but not anything else, for Vanilla version - doesn't seem like it would work.

The only thing I haven't looked into yet is going in the mod files and looking for it - I'm not very confident I'd be able to find the numbers, though.

Any help in getting answers to these questions would be appreciated.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Trust the FTB Wiki. Tekkit is very outdated and untrustworthy, it is obvious, look at the history of Tekkit.

Slaughtz

Jul 29, 2019
Trust the FTB Wiki. Tekkit is very outdated and untrustworthy, it is obvious, look at the history of Tekkit.

If that is the case, I am still curious if the overclocking information is correct on the Tekkit wiki. I'm not sure if the overclocker upgrade works as it does in basic machines, using the same formula with the advanced machines. I just found the 'newer' and more active mod thread on IC2 Forums for this machine (thanks to the FTB official wiki, which I rarely use) here and asked these same questions. Hopefully I get a solid response soon from the actual developer, assuming the timings were unchanged in the FTB mod pack.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Tekkit wiki seems to be more up to date compared to the FTB wiki more often than not I've found.

But in response to the OP's question what is M/S, meters/second, something that relates to how an actual centrifuge works. normally however it would be expressed in RPM.

and as to setting up a test environment yourself, Time whole stacks being processed, or even stick a hopper on the top and time two or more stacks. Then convert the time into ticks, and divide by the number of items you processed. The more stacks and the more tests you do the more accurate the value will be, however I'm not entirely sure why you would ever need to the tick item processing times

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds a bit prejudiced.

Regardless of the past dramas that surrounded tekkit, the wiki is fairly solid and I spent my share of time there before the btw wiki got into a semi-stable shape.

The best option would be either asking the author, testing or decompiling.

If you don't get an answer, then I'll do the last for ya ;).

Reactions: Slaughtz

Slaughtz

Jul 29, 2019
Tekkit wiki seems to be more up to date compared to the FTB wiki more often than not I've found.

But in response to the OP's question what is M/S, meters/second, something that relates to how an actual centrifuge works. normally however it would be expressed in RPM.

and as to setting up a test environment yourself, Time whole stacks being processed, or even stick a hopper on the top and time two or more stacks. Then convert the time into ticks, and divide by the number of items you processed. The more stacks and the more tests you do the more accurate the value will be, however I'm not entirely sure why you would ever need to the tick item processing times

I share that experience, but I think he was talking about the actual mod being out of date, not the wiki - so the mod may be an old version and set differently than the new one.

Yeah, the M/S confused me since I didn't picture the machine to work with distance, but with rotations. (Technically that is distance, but still.) I was hoping someone would have had a technical answer for what M/S translates into for operation time down to the tick.

As for me wanting information down to the tick, I thought it might be able to save me some materials in a Multiplayer server I'm on by getting exact measurements. It is for the calculations of my needs for a project which I expect I'll be needing a substantial amount of them for and affect more variables than just themselves.

Never really used a hopper, I'll have to look into that and see what it is - if it can provide a more technical and reliable way of measurement than myself. Using a stop watch and watching is an obvious way to do it, but isn't as reliable and accurate - though doing multiple tests and averaging the results might have to suffice. The issue is that I'm not sure how to calculate margin of error in order to be conservative in my calculations. lmgtfm(myself): How To Calculate Margin Of Error

Slaughtz

Jul 29, 2019
That sounds a bit prejudiced.

Regardless of the past dramas that surrounded tekkit, the wiki is fairly solid and I spent my share of time there before the btw wiki got into a semi-stable shape.

The best option would be either asking the author, testing or decompiling.

If you don't get an answer, then I'll do the last for ya ;).

Haha, thanks for the offer.

Likely I'm guaranteed to be able to get an answer, just not a very efficient one (by my standards.) I don't trust my ability to measure things down to the tick with my eyes and pushing a mouse button (.05 seconds)

If the author doesn't answer within a week or the next time he posts, I'm going to assume he's not going to bother with answering and I'll want to take you up on that - I've seen the difference between an operation taking 0.05 and 0.06 and over time it adds up and can cause problems in a system as elaborate as the one I'm making.

Bloodfrost

Jul 29, 2019
Last i saw there was actually something in the config about what the overclockers do... might be worth taking a peek in there. Some of the info in there might be helpful.

As a side note, overclocking the advanced machines <Rotory macerator, induction furnace, centrifuge extractor,singularity compresser> isnt really worth the power or time... its actually really dissapointing lol.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
[Snip]
Never really used a hopper, I'll have to look into that and see what it is - if it can provide a more technical and reliable way of measurement than myself. Using a stop watch and watching is an obvious way to do it, but isn't as reliable and accurate - though doing multiple tests and averaging the results might have to suffice. The issue is that I'm not sure how to calculate margin of error in order to be conservative in my calculations. lmgtfm(myself): How To Calculate Margin Of Error

Hoppers should reduce the margin of error, simply because they input items into a machine automatically, and can store four stacks of items inside, they put items in faster than maxed out machines use them (Disclaimer, in my experience). That means you can do tests fairly accurately with 2-5 stacks of items. Which means margin of error is simply your reaction time in starting and stopping the stop-watch. Negligible when a delay of 500ms or so is transferred to 320 items. You should be within +/- a tick of operation time.

Repeating the test multiple times to ensure precision, will increase the likelihood of accuracy.

That's how you'd test it without decompiling the code, however there obviously is still room for error.

EDIT: yes in essence it's watching the machine process with a stop-watch, which is why I'm not testing it myself >.>

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
The numbers in the Advanced Machine GUIs are just arbitrary values to indicate how fast things will be processed. All you need to know is that when they aren't going up anymore (if you have a redstone signal applied to them) they're at maximum efficiency, which can then be overclocked by overclocker upgrades if you so wish. I guess. I think IC2's Induction Furnace doesn't accept upgrades, though.