FTB server hosting HELP!!!

thefireislit

Jul 29, 2019
Im looking to have a server for my friend and I. I have no idea on what kind of server I need. I want a dedicated server but i dont want to pay a lot. It is only for two people but i dont now how hard FTB is on a server. Please give any suggestions on what serverhosting company I should use or how fancy the server needs to be to have no lag.
Also I live on the west coast of the US

h0gtitties

Jul 29, 2019
I use Servercrafters.ca and are happy with them. Only two players use the server so there is not a huge load on the server. I'm on the west coast, the other is on the east coast. So far minimal lag experienced.

I also used creeperhost with good results.

Many hosts have a public server set up so you can test the connection to your location. I would recommend giving them a try first before you pay for a server.

EDIT:
I can no longer recommend ServerCrafters.ca Ownership appears to have changed hands. Someone else is running the show over there now and it has go to shit. All support tickets have been left unanswered. My multicraft admin page currently displays a 404 error, and the main multicraft portal page shows the default Welcome to IIS 8 page as if the server was completely reset. *shame* I was totally happy with them until now.

Everlast

Jul 29, 2019
PytoHost gets my recommendation. They have several locations available, affordable prices, DDoS protection at their US location and I think they even offer free webhosting. I had a 1.5GB server with them for roughly three months for a small group of people (read: 3-4). I'm sure you could fit more people on a server, depending on how much RAM you order and how much you want to span out in the world.

Edit: Also, if you do decide to sign up, I'd appreciate it if you did it via my affiliate link. If you insist on not using the affiliate link then you can use: http://pytohost.com/

Also, if anyone doubts the validity of my recommendation: http://i.imgur.com/XXedhkb.png

Reactions: Jared39 and Profjb

Mr Chris

Jul 29, 2019
Creeperhost's Zombie server should be ideal for you. Ive used it before for around 5/6 players just playing FTB together and it runs like a dream. Their panel also has a '1 click' FTB install button which, if you've never run a server before, should be pretty helpful!

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
I would not use Envious Host as they just got DDoS attacked on my server so I just told them that "okay I'll want my refund then" and they told me that it'll take 24 hours but even though they terminated it without letting me get my world first and it's wasn't even 3 hours after I told them to get me my money back. I'll try another that promise 99.9% up time and looked at their reviews and there wasn't a negative one in the pile of them. So going to give them a world. They said for 10 players I can get away with a server that cost less than 10 bucks so see how that goes.. The link is under my sig if you want to check them out.

h0gtitties

Jul 29, 2019
So my previous host (see edit above) has gone AWOL and I tried creeperhost again (zombie), unfortunately I am having some real lag issues with their LA servers and with the creeper panel. I'm in California so I thought LA would be best. I was pulling the best ping to LA data centers on speedtest.net (average 12ms) The CP is soooooo sluggish it's painful. The server lag was also unacceptable. Anyone else in Northern California having better luck with a different location. Can anyone share your IP with me to ping from my location?

Jared39

Jul 29, 2019
I would agree with Everlast in saying that PytoHost is the way to go. They offer good services for a low price.

MrBrunty

Jul 29, 2019
I would disagree with the majority of the people in this post and tell you to stay clear of creeperhost, despite fast response times to their tickets, when I first started hosting with them I knew very little about mc servers and so spent $10 a on their top support package. Every time I had an issue, or needed help their solution was plain and simple. Reset the map, or delete the mod. I would then do my own research and eventually find a solution which worked without having to do something so drastic. Additionally, there was never a time when we didn't have lag, and that was me running through their 4GB package, 5.5GB package, 8GB package and a dedicated server which I had to pay an additonal $30 a month for because it was highly recommended I had an SSD as 'modded servers require one to play' - to add the new company I'm with doesn't have an ssd, and I have very few tps drops with more people on. But anyway, when I eventually upgraded to that dedicated server, I asked for them to transfer all my stuff over. I even asked them if I needed to do anything beforehand for them. The response I got was, 'can't access your server files right now, keep your server running, and I will transfer them over for you when I can' 2 hours later they began transferring, they didn't shut down the server first and so with people playing they managed to corrupt several hundred chunks - mainly orientated around my spawn area - oh and then blamed me for leaving my server running. There was then a nice long wait of around 6 hours after the eventual transfer because nobody could connect to the server because creeperhost hadn't even bothered to set up the IP tables... But to continue, a week after this, when I was getting an average of 15 tps consistently, the server went down, out of nowhere. Submitted 3 support tickets and guess what? there was an issue with my HDD and they couldn't restart it (but it took 24 hours and for them to shout at me for not using it correctly to realise it was their fault, btw creeper host, still no apology for that...) We then had to wait 5 days for them to fix the issue, and guess what?!?! This time ALL my files were corrupted, I lost countless world edit schematics the entire map and pissed off the majority of my members because I had to do another world reset. and during that time I went from a strong player base of 35 people at peak times to 15... the majority of which were my donators. At this point I decided to cut my losses with creeperhost and go elsewhere, switched to Astral Game Servers and have to say - fantastic quality and a good price, I rarely drop below 20 tps, and have yet to encounter a problem which isn't the doing of myself or members. I get zero lag, and have taken my uptime of around 45-50% to 99% but I will add, their customer support from what I have experienced is friendly and VERY helpful but they are a bit slow to reply.

I hope this gives you a good idea of exactly what you are jumping in to bed with if you go with creeperhost and really hope it helps others to not make the bad decision, if you want to see some screenshots of transcripts with them and how they handled themselves so poorly then send me a message as I'm sure even this comment may get moderated for slating the official ftb sponsors so much, if you want to experience how good astral is or speak to some of the longstanding people from my server who have been with both then feel free to join it though it is whitelist:http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...eak-whitelist-great-community-90-slots.17996/
or message them on my website: deltro-nr.enjin.com

Added note that is not done for advertisement, it is there because I want people to be with the right service provider.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
There are 3 types of servers.

GSP, VPS, and Dedicated. GSP is a managed setup, giving a small chunk of hardware to you to run your server on, this is best for 5 players or under. VPS is a larger piece of a dedicated server, it acts like one in that you can do anything you want, like running a mail or web server alongside your game server. This is good for 5 to 20 people. Dedicated is the whole box, you get the full power of all the hardware. With that there is zero restrictions as to what you can and can not do, aside from your hosts TOS. This is used for 20+ players.

RSNET-Radic

Jul 29, 2019
@thefireislit - You mention that you want a dedicated server. Do you know how to manage a fully dedicated server?

How many players do you want to host?
What sort of budget are you working with?
Do you need DDoS protection?

PytoHost is great, they have a good amount of servers with us and are really knowledgeable at what they do.

DigitalOcean is cheap, but you'll get very little CPU. Overall I would recommend staying away from VPS/Cloud providers, it's tough to get consistent performance from them.

D

DARKMA77ER

serverminer.com if fantastic check it out

3 months for £15
and smpicnicuser interface

darkma77er.serverminer.com

T

Techly88

serverminer.com if fantastic check it out

3 months for £15
and smpicnicuser interface

darkma77er.serverminer.com

Unfortunately they charge "extra" for their extended support. Anyone know anywhere you just pays for the GBs and get the extended modded support fully included?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately they charge "extra" for their extended support. Anyone know anywhere you just pays for the GBs and get the extended modded support fully included?
No, because those that do realize that modded costs them more resources. So most hosts that know what they are doing will always charge you extra.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

T

Techly88

No, because those that do realize that modded costs them more resources. So most hosts that know what they are doing will always charge you extra.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

They already DO charge you extra to HAVE to start on 1.5GB (I would be fine on 1GB to be honest).

Beside I rather not be "nickel and dime" at and just pays ~$10/GB. That way I always pay the same thing for every GB I need. Not extra to get a larger package+extended support.