Feed The Beast Sphax Addon Pack

JezuitX

Jul 29, 2019
Okay I can't figure out what's going on with this pack but something is seriously wrong with it. I've made my own kind of piecemeal version of Sphax for my own server, and I can get 60FPS pretty rock solid. I use this and I'm lucky to get 25FPS. This is with and without Optifine 1.4.2 HD U A7. I even checked if it was just FTB and Sphax for me by just using only the unpatched version of Sphax PureBDCraft 128x MC14. With that I get a rock solid 60FPS. Soon as I add on the patch I nose dive down into the teens and twenties FPS wise.

One thing I noticed right off the bat was that it didn't make any difference if I was set to fast or fancy, tiny or far, or if I had particles on or off. The RAM use is pretty high to boot as well. I have FTB allocated with 4GB, which is pretty insane, but I saw when I had the normal 1GB the Sphax pack was using up 80% of my RAM. Now with 4GB it's using around 40% to almost 50%. My specs are as follows.

Intel i7 3.07GHz
9GB of RAM
Nvidia GTX 680

So I'm kind of doubt it's my specs. Any idea what could be causing this packs FPS issue on my machine? I don't even think it's a size thing either because the John Smith pack is only 20MB smaller, and that's pretty rock solid for me. Any help would be appreciated as I love how Sphax looks.

FMAylward

Jul 29, 2019
Don't know if this will be why but graphics card is useless unless you force it to work with Java, not minecraft. Go to your nvidia control panal, manage 3D settings, Program settings tab, add program files/java/jre7/bin/Java.exe

That fixed running at less then 15 fps on my laptop.

boborene

Jul 29, 2019
I think centrifuge from greg's mod and forestry can cause a crash when is texture installed.

I removed centrifuge png from greg pack and it seems is no more generating crashes.

djtlite138

Jul 29, 2019
Okay I can't figure out what's going on with this pack but something is seriously wrong with it. I've made my own kind of piecemeal version of Sphax for my own server, and I can get 60FPS pretty rock solid. I use this and I'm lucky to get 25FPS. This is with and without Optifine 1.4.2 HD U A7. I even checked if it was just FTB and Sphax for me by just using only the unpatched version of Sphax PureBDCraft 128x MC14. With that I get a rock solid 60FPS. Soon as I add on the patch I nose dive down into the teens and twenties FPS wise.

One thing I noticed right off the bat was that it didn't make any difference if I was set to fast or fancy, tiny or far, or if I had particles on or off. The RAM use is pretty high to boot as well. I have FTB allocated with 4GB, which is pretty insane, but I saw when I had the normal 1GB the Sphax pack was using up 80% of my RAM. Now with 4GB it's using around 40% to almost 50%. My specs are as follows.

Intel i7 3.07GHz
9GB of RAM
Nvidia GTX 680

So I'm kind of doubt it's my specs. Any idea what could be causing this packs FPS issue on my machine? I don't even think it's a size thing either because the John Smith pack is only 20MB smaller, and that's pretty rock solid for me. Any help would be appreciated as I love how Sphax looks.

I have experienced similar issues with this. i may have to go with the piecemeal style as well...

JezuitX

Jul 29, 2019
Go to your nvidia control panal, manage 3D settings, Program settings tab, add program files/java/jre7/bin/Java.exe

Definitely a good tip to others, but I've already done this on my GeForce control panel. I'm thinking about taking the Gregtech stuff out based on what one guy said about it stopping his game from crashing. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

edit: Taking Gregtech out didn't make a bit of difference.

FMAylward

Jul 29, 2019
Only idea I can think of is testing the 32x pack fine with a 2ghz i7, 8gb ram (2 to minecraft) and a GT 540m.

I had problems when running the 128x but I can't remember if I had optfine installed then or not and sine that I found out it was that crashing the game. It also overheated my laptop but I think that was more my fault then the game.

Vrork

Jul 29, 2019

Intel i7 3.07GHz
9GB of RAM
Nvidia GTX 680

This is a problem with all HD texture packs, the liquids are causing major lag/FPS drop (Somebody alredy explained in other topic this). I hope it will be updated in the next version. I have to use the 64x version because i have fps drop with the 128x in the FTB, but in the Tekkit, no.

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
Im curious as to why facades always look lighter with this sphax texture pack but when using a default BC texture pack they do not? Is this a texture problem or what? Any way to fix this? Would be lovely if it was possible as it is quite annoying.

FMAylward

Jul 29, 2019
Is the custom colours an optfine or normal MC video option? Turning them off fixed it for me.

Not sure if its a texture pack issue or a limitation with how textuer packs can be applied to stuff but my grass facade in a swamp is not getting the swamp grass colour.

JezuitX

Jul 29, 2019
This is a problem with all HD texture packs, the liquids are causing major lag/FPS drop (Somebody alredy explained in other topic this). I hope it will be updated in the next version. I have to use the 64x version because i have fps drop with the 128x in the FTB, but in the Tekkit, no.

Yeah I get what you're saying, but unless something else in the patch is changing liquids I don't think that's it. Default Sphax pack with nothing added runs at a solid 60 FPS. When I add the patch that's when it drops to 15 to 20-ish FPS.

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
Is the custom colours an optfine or normal MC video option? Turning them off fixed it for me.

Not sure if its a texture pack issue or a limitation with how textuer packs can be applied to stuff but my grass facade in a swamp is not getting the swamp grass colour.

Oh that was it, Thank you so much. That was driving me slightly insane. :)

Vrork

Jul 29, 2019

timewarp

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I get what you're saying, but unless something else in the patch is changing liquids I don't think that's it. Default Sphax pack with nothing added runs at a solid 60 FPS. When I add the patch that's when it drops to 15 to 20-ish FPS.
Default Sphax has 2 liquids, while FTB has 10 or so.

JezuitX

Jul 29, 2019
Default Sphax has 2 liquids, while FTB has 10 or so.

I seriously doubt when I'm in a village there's more than two or three kinds of liquid around me. It's not like I'm in Dire's liquid room with honey, biofuel, gasoline, oil, etc. Anyway I'm hoping that the update to 1.4.6 will fix issues with the pack. It's a long shot and probably not reasonable, but hey I'm hoping.

timewarp

Jul 29, 2019
I seriously doubt when I'm in a village there's more than two or three kinds of liquid around me. It's not like I'm in Dire's liquid room with honey, biofuel, gasoline, oil, etc. Anyway I'm hoping that the update to 1.4.6 will fix issues with the pack. It's a long shot and probably not reasonable, but hey I'm hoping.
That's true, but if it worked the way you expected, it wouldn't be a bug. ;)

According to the following post, mod makers are trying to make a work-around by having liquids in their own separate sheet so they can be scaled down to mitigate the performace hit.
http://bdcraft.net/forum/psa-mods-with-liquids-hd-textures-cause-major-lag#comment-9325