Dumb Modular Powersuit Tricks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
A thing that I've been wonding why is that only armor and batteries "cost" weight, i'd like to see a system where you actually have to consider if it's worth adding that extra module that will mostly be turned off because i cant afford the power drain anyway.

MachineMuse

Jul 29, 2019
A thing that I've been wonding why is that only armor and batteries "cost" weight, i'd like to see a system where you actually have to consider if it's worth adding that extra module that will mostly be turned off because i cant afford the power drain anyway.
Mainly because the way it works right now, weight disappears when you turn off the module, so I only have it on non-toggleable modules. Fixing that is part of the refactoring I was doing when 1.5 hit.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Wow.. then this is going to blow your traditional little mind: mps isn't designed to be balanced against any one mod in particular. It's designed to break this convention of everything being pre-packaged magical blocks and items with recipes spoon-fed to you by NEI, making the only actual gameplay component the resource-gathering. It's designed to put more power, and more responsibility, in the hands of the users. The way it is now, each recipe set is balanced around what the fans and/or authors of each mod have expressed. I can do something with, 'iridium plates are too much for the advanced plating, can you make them cost tungstensteel instead?' 'Yes I agree' 'me too'. I can't do anything with 'well i'm puttimg away the powersuit because it's not keeping up'.

I'm not going to limit the mod's capabilities just so you can wrap your head around it. Why don't you focus on the recipes *you* use and ignore the others?

What did i say to offend you? In fact, did i say anything about you modifying your mod in any way shape or form? Re-read my posts, i was asking for clearer indication of where the power level of MPS was supposed to fall against, but apparently, you're just that kind of person who doesn't really know how to take in any kind of criticism. Well, that's your design philosophy, at least you answered my question, even if it was in an insulting and roundabout way. Now, i don't agree with your philosophy, and i don't think it has anything to do with being spoon-fed anything. In fact, by your tone, i think you're being rather rude to other mod devs who don't follow your views. My point always was that something is easier to balance, and easier to be evaluated as balanced or not, if it has a good comparison point and a goal in mind. You don't share the same viewpoint. That's fine, but in the future, you should really reevaluate your tone, and show a little more respect.

Reactions: MagusUnion

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry but this is my chivilrous side coming out so lemme say I respect you bru.

I believe MM said what she said because she got tired of having to repeat herself as well as people saying that it is based on vanilla. It is a multi mod suit that is slowly being worked into a lot of different compatability. There isn't a balance point as it is its own freakin mod! It never was designed to be the new grav suit it is just a modular powersuit that anyone can use.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Machine, I am wondering if you ever thought of adding in things like a different type shot fired from the power tool. Like a heat beam or ice beam or (fill in MegaMan type Buster Cannon shots)?

Or Metroid-style stuff... That would be fun. Loads of fun indeed for a challenge map designed after a Metroid game world.

What did i say to offend you?

Why are you so defensive? Some people just type truthfully, and don't hide behind fake masks.

you should really reevaluate your tone, and show a little more respect.

Pot, meet kettle. Seriously now. Although I've yet to see MachineMuse's tone be anything more than "mildly harsh because of stupid input" (yes, there are such things a stupid questions. One of the biggest is "Are there such things as stupid questions?").

MachineMuse

Jul 29, 2019
What did i say to offend you? In fact, did i say anything about you modifying your mod in any way shape or form?
Actually, yeah, you did. You said I should pick one set of recipes and stick to it.

Re-read my posts, i was asking for clearer indication of where the power level of MPS was supposed to fall against, but apparently, you're just that kind of person who doesn't really know how to take in any kind of criticism. Well, that's your design philosophy, at least you answered my question, even if it was in an insulting and roundabout way. Now, i don't agree with your philosophy, and i don't think it has anything to do with being spoon-fed anything. In fact, by your tone, i think you're being rather rude to other mod devs who don't follow your views. My point always was that something is easier to balance, and easier to be evaluated as balanced or not, if it has a good comparison point and a goal in mind. You don't share the same viewpoint. That's fine, but in the future, you should really reevaluate your tone, and show a little more respect.
Thanks, I'm glad I have BRUJON on the Feed The Beast forums to tell me what kind of person I should be. Otherwise I might foolishly express an actual personality that isn't centered around making others more comfortable.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Giant Mechs? Ohhhh so I can have Quatra's Gundam..ohh or better yet the DeathScythe!

Hah, if only. I was thinking something closer to the Mo Creature's "Golem" is size.... For the Mark Two MPS suit (which you need a Mark One MPS to utilize for interfacing).

The Mark Three though.... Yeah, this would go PlanetSide on us, hahah.

i now demand giant gundam mechs. Let it be so.

Sure:

https://archive.thedarkcave.org/foolfuuka/boards/po/image/1348/70/1348706563952.jpg

3.jpg

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
*Squees* TallGeese PWZ!!!!!

*calms* >.>;;;;;;;; <.<;;;;;;;; Sorry for carried away.

Yeah, let's just hope that it does not end up going down that direction, otherwise we'll NEVER go outside.

Perhaps a fusion reactor to power the mark three unit, heh.

BTW: Although I appreciate the support, I don't need white knights to protect me from guys who can't handle someone being mean to them on the internet. If anything, they need protecting from me. :p

Heck, that's fine with me. I'm just in it for the amusing arguments conversations that are involved, but when you see my crazy minty face helping some dummy that is calling your mod "poop on a stick", well, don't blame me! Mmm, actually, I think I know the exact person for this.... Heh heh heh.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Okies. I didn't mean any offense just my nature. ^_^ Btw I love this forum

Indeed, it's a great way to express your opinion whilst getting free entertainment for the costs in time/etc.

And wait, that's right, MachineMuse is a female. I think KirinDave told me this a while ago, but I had forgot until the term "white knight" was used.

Bah, sexism everywhere, can't even argue on the internet without it, hahahah.

Hmmm, where is that sarcmark?

Reactions: ApSciLiara

MachineMuse

Jul 29, 2019
Reading back to some posts saying how the maxed pick upgrade being slower than an actual pickaxe, I recall seeing something like this, even with the Axe/ Shovel.
Seems like some things like regular stone/ dirt/ wood are indeed being broken at a faster rate, while gravel, or basalt/ marble and ceertain types of woods seem to break at a "regular" rate (as if it was a stone/ iron tool), so maybe it has to do with the different speed it takes to break different blocks normally?

Also, the kinetic generator seems fine to me, mainly since I have no other way to power the suit, it doesn't seem too fast so that I NEVER run out of power, but not slow enough that I have to run 15 miles every 10 seconds. :p

As it is now, I still need to pace myself to not overuse it, a nerf would make it almost useless.

Btw, just gotta say, really love he mod, specially as someone who doesn't use IC2, plus this is even more fun than the quantum suit, rather than "insta" demi-immortality as soon as you make it, you have to slowly work your way up to a strong, yet not invincible suit, and with lots of customization and (what I believe to be) fair costs.
Yes, I've been struggling with this general issue for a while now and I've heard a little bit about the particular case you're mentioning. It's kind of weird and hopefully the refactoring I've been talking about will help mitigate it - with the tool modules each encapsulated in their own class, it will be a lot easier to group the behaviours together in a way that makes sense.

Basically, Forge has a map of toolclass+blockID+blockMetadata -> breakspeed, but it only applies to special cases like obsidian. The rest of the time, it defaults to the Vanilla value which is based on the block material - 'Stone' and 'Iron' blocks take pickaxes, 'dirt' and 'snow' blocks take shovels, 'log' and 'plank' blocks take axes. But then, some blocks define their tool effectiveness in their own way. The net result is that there are about 5 different places where tool effectiveness could be referenced, and it's a huge PITA to track them all down. I thought I had them all, but apparently that's not the case? So yes, this will be another thing that 'might but probably won't' be fixed in the migration, but at least it will be easier to figure out what's going wrong.
the term "white knight" was used.
I was mostly responding to the 'chivilrous' bit, but yeah.

Reactions: Yuka

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
BTW: Although I appreciate the support, I don't need white knights to protect me from guys who can't handle someone being mean to them on the internet. If anything, they need protecting from me. :p

Rules
1. Be respectful. No racist, sexist or homophobic comments will be tolerated.
2. Be polite do not use obscenities or engage in name-calling.
3. Post topics in the appropriate forums.
4. Signatures should be less then 615 wide x 150 Tall.
5. No Spam posts.
6. Do not argue with a moderator. If you have an issue with a moderator talk to a global mod. If you have an issue with a global mod contact Slowpoke.
7. Profile pictures should be in good taste, non-offensive. Do not use your profile picture to make a statement about a personal world view.
8. No buy selling or unsolicited advertising of items or services on the forums.
9. Do not use adfly or similar links in posts without prior permission.

And i did say "Choose one recipe and stick with it", but that's my opinion. I wasn't even talking to you, at that point in time. And my opinion is just that, my opinion, i never straight up said to you to change anything, i just gave you my opinion, in a respectful manner, and in compliance to the rules of the forum, which i reproduced above for your convenience. I wasn't disrespectful, and i wasn't impolite, and you did both.
If you're going to do one of the above, simply do not respond, it's simply better. I didn't offend you, and you took upon you, personally, to respond in a disrespectful and impolite manner. Just because you disagree with my opinion, doesn't mean you should diminish me publicly on a forum, or even insinuate that i have a "small mind". It's not just because this is in flagrant violation of the forum rules, but also because it's in flagrant violation of good taste. You're a mod developer. You put a lot of time and work in your mod, because it's something you like to do, and because you want recognition for it, and you did it free of charge. I get that. I can relate to that, i understand that. But just because you did something you liked because you wanted to, that doesn't give you the right to climb in your high horse and make little of the people who criticize your work.
Whenever you produce something, and make it publicly available, it's there for critique and evaluation. Now, if i had made my point while being disrespectful and making little of you or your work, you would most assuredly be entitled to take personal offense to that, and respond in a manner you should see fit. But did i do that? No. What i did was to make my opinion publicly available, and you and everyone else here has the right to agree or disagree, evaluate and critique my opinion in the same way i critiqued your work in the first place, but it most certainly DOES NOT justify the kind of language or manner of speech you used in your replies.
And for those in the thread who are agreeing to the way she's behaving herself in her replies and the way she talks, i just have one thing to say. Those who do something that's well-liked and admired for others most certainly deserve respect and admiration for their work, but those who self-aggrandize themselves out of the work they did, and put themselves above others, are those who deserve neither respect or admiration.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Was reading through the todo and saw your enchantments. For Fortune have you thought of maybe making the module cost a few diamonds and then the module makes the pick use a lot of energy such as adding a 50x multiplier to the energy cost of the pick module while turned on? This would cause people to have to remember to turn it on or off based on what they're mining and would make them manually recharge their suit more often. Other than energy and module cost I can't see any way to make it work outside of something like making it cost items to recharge (like every so often you have to throw in an enderpearl or bottled exp or something).