Direwolf 20 1.6.4 Pack Won't Work With Optifine

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
yay just not the ones I want or care to play this realy does pI$$ me off a bit it should not be there choice to say hay we cant use this and if u do poof there we stoped your game and this is me just being a mad rant

I don't think anyone is crashing you on purpose. There might be a conflict between optifine and...well a large number of mods and some of them may cause crashes, so I guess it is up to the end user to decide which to choose.

Spok3d

Jul 29, 2019
Ive found a solution! I use the ultra version but this may work for others, i fixed it by using the C6 Version instead of C7 and it works so enjoy optifine in all its glory!

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Ive found a solution! I use the ultra version but this may work for others, i fixed it by using the C6 Version instead of C7 and it works so enjoy optifine in all its glory!

yup, for me C6 works, but C7 and C8 don't. but then I've another problem, if I use C6 with ChickenChunks I get another crash. I have to remove ChickenChunks to get rid of the crash.
what's also very weird is whenever I use optifine with MultiMC5 I get terrible fps lag. if I remove optifine it's ok, but still not very good enough to play with. so that means I can't use MultiMC5 aswell

I'm really sad to see Optifine going this way, because I'm someone who just can't play without it. I've been hoping for a while that a new mod developer would be willing to make a forge compatible version of optifine, but I guess that's not really happening as it'd probably be quite alot of work.
I know forge does a few things to improve things like fps, but not enough for me to say that I can play without optifine.

also am having alot of problems with Biome's o Plenty and Optifine, I usually end up removing Biome's o Plenty to get rid of terrible FPS lag, which is a shame because I quite like Biome's o Plenty

Rampant

Jul 29, 2019
I also have a problem with Optifine and the DW20 modpack, except this is the 1.5.2 version, I added optifine to the jarmods folder yet it doesn't work. If it can't work, may I at least have a suggestion to get rid of the fog at lower levels of the map? (I believe it is called Void Fog or some such) (also I wasn't sure if I should make a new thread, I saw not to post anything about optifine on tech support, decided to err on the side of caution)

CLAVDIVS CAESAR

Jul 29, 2019
In the absence of a compatible release of OptiFine, what other options are there for high-res textures for Minecraft? I can run the game fairly well without OF (I've been getting 50-60 FPS with Dire's new pack), but I use Sphax's textures when I play, and even though I'm fine with the 32x version, some mod add-ons aren't available in anything less than 64x.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
In the absence of a compatible release of OptiFine, what other options are there for high-res textures for Minecraft? I can run the game fairly well without OF (I've been getting 50-60 FPS with Dire's new pack), but I use Sphax's textures when I play, and even though I'm fine with the 32x version, some mod add-ons aren't available in anything less than 64x.

go oldschool with MCPatcher? http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1496369-174-172-164-and-earlierupdate-127-mcpatcher-hd-fix-431/

Reactions: Randomguy404

CLAVDIVS CAESAR

Jul 29, 2019

Dunno about anyone else, but I'm extremely wary of using a tool like that alongside other mods, especially using a launcher like FTB or MultiMC; I've had bad experiences with it that seemed to stem from it directly modifying the base files in a way the launcher can't account for.

However, googling about has found mention that Forge itself adds support for up to 128x textures, but I can't seem to find confirmation of this in any official documentation. If it's true, though, that solves like 90% of my problem. (I like the rest of OF's functionality, but I tried it in the first place just for HD texture support.)

EDIT: Welp, I just tried using the 64x Sphax textures and they worked fine, so I guess that's that. So, uh, nothing to see here, move along. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Randomguy404

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
However, googling about has found mention that Forge itself adds support for up to 128x textures,
Yup, added some time ago. Optifine has some nice features, and YMMV performance improvements, but it's such a mess compatibility wise, it's hard to recommend.

neo123123

Jul 29, 2019
This morning I opened up ftb to see a new Direwolf 20 modpack. My instant reaction was to download optifine because my computer isn't amazing. When I downloaded the standard 1.6.4 optifine I noticed it was a jar file instead of a zip. I opened edit mod pack and pulled the file into jar mods like usual. I loaded the pack and everything loaded fine except for optifine! I also tried converting the jar into a zip file but I had the same result. Any feedback on how to fix this would be great.

Thanks,
Jackson:)
unfortunantly i have the same prob and i discovered there is a problem with the render derp with the exo armor from Tinker's construct and that's why it ain't let you load minecraft.. :3 i tried to find a config that can disable that armor but there is non so we'd better report this to mDyo(the modder of TC and natura) and wait for a new version of TC ...

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
unfortunantly i have the same prob and i discovered there is a problem with the render derp with the exo armor from Tinker's construct and that's why it ain't let you load minecraft.. :3 i tried to find a config that can disable that armor but there is non so we'd better report this to mDyo(the modder of TC and natura) and wait for a new version of TC ...
Um. You do realize the entire onus of this is on the dev of Optifine, right? TiC is doing renders properly according to how Forge does rendering. Optifine does not. Hence why so many of us highly recommend NOT using Optifine, as it has major rendering issues with many Forge mods, TiC included.

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running the DW20 pack just fine with Ultra C6 optifine. Well, there's sometimes some flickering on stuff, but that's totally worth it.

wizardglick

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly, none of the solutions worked for me. I can add Optifine to the modpack (Direwolf 20 1.64), but it just doesn't add show any fps improvement. I get the same ~20 fps "resting", 11-14 fps running around and doing this, with regular lag spikes.
Tried a new world and everything. Still the same problem. I have not yet tried a different pack.

With this D1 release it certainly does look like the Optifine author is attempted to increase his compatibility with other mods. I wonder if he will receive the same courtesy from Forge?

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Eh, really with 1.6 Optifine really doesn't offer as big a FPS help as you'd expect, especially given the tradeoff of incompatibility with an increasing number of Forge mods. Seriously, from my own experience 1..5.2 + Optifine is only marginally faster than 1.6.4 without. And the graphical derpiness it has always caused has made it not worth the trouble in forever.

And anyway, in most cases it isn't the graphics that will bring your computer to its knees these days, it is trying to run 1000 mods at once. Try running just plain vanilla Minecraft with no mods. If you get a nice stable framerate...well Optifine won't help you. Try a lightweight pack, and stay away from the more lag prone mods.

wizardglick

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, back in the pre 1.3 days I used to have half a dozen mods at most. Everything was cool. But I'm trying to make these modpacks work to play with my son who watches Direwolf and and other mod let's plays and wants to try everything. I have no idea why I need 140 mods to play Minecraft, especially since most of these mod packs are terribly feature overlapping.
I still don't have a very good understanding of the MC 1.6 launcher, and especially how it interacts with Forge, though. So it's a bit confusing to add different Forge clients to different profiles and not get everything all screwed up.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Yeah, back in the pre 1.3 days I used to have half a dozen mods at most. Everything was cool. But I'm trying to make these modpacks work to play with my son who watches Direwolf and and other mod let's plays and wants to try everything. I have no idea why I need 140 mods to play Minecraft, especially since most of these mod packs are terribly feature overlapping.
I still don't have a very good understanding of the MC 1.6 launcher, and especially how it interacts with Forge, though. So it's a bit confusing to add different Forge clients to different profiles and not get everything all screwed up.

MultiMC is your friend. Makes maintaining seperate Minecraft instances for different mod packs a breeze.

wizardglick

Jul 29, 2019
I used the old version of multiMC, but I came up with some sort of java error when i tried the latest. Haven't solved that yet, but I would like to use it again.
My big problem right now is the current forge installer. I don't know how to tell it what minecraft instance to install to. I tried to set up a 1.6.4 forge profile and it went ahead and updated my existing Terrafirmacraft 1.6.2 install. I'm hesitant to venture onto the Forge forums to ask about it since their board rules seem to be "Do it this way or you are stupid and your posts will be deleted."

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Its great to have access to absolutely everything, but ultimately your computer will only handle so much. Mods have exploded in the number of things they have per mod. Then there are microblocks for lots of stuff too. On top of that are custom mobs that are added. I dont think people can really compare performance of 1.4.7 to 1.5 or 1.6.