Direwolf 20 1.6.4 Pack Won't Work With Optifine

Jackson Silverman

Jul 29, 2019
This morning I opened up ftb to see a new Direwolf 20 modpack. My instant reaction was to download optifine because my computer isn't amazing. When I downloaded the standard 1.6.4 optifine I noticed it was a jar file instead of a zip. I opened edit mod pack and pulled the file into jar mods like usual. I loaded the pack and everything loaded fine except for optifine! I also tried converting the jar into a zip file but I had the same result. Any feedback on how to fix this would be great.

Thanks,
Jackson:)

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
This morning I opened up ftb to see a new Direwolf 20 modpack. My instant reaction was to download optifine because my computer isn't amazing. When I downloaded the standard 1.6.4 optifine I noticed it was a jar file instead of a zip. I opened edit mod pack and pulled the file into jar mods like usual. I loaded the pack and everything loaded fine except for optifine! I also tried converting the jar into a zip file but I had the same result. Any feedback on how to fix this would be great.

Thanks,
Jackson:)

in 1.6 optifine goes in the normal mods folder. IIRC there's no jar or coremods anymore in 1.6
there's forge which can be installed through the installer, and the rest that goes into the mods folder

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
You might still find that some mods will be incompatible with Optifine, even if you install it right. This is because of Optifine's refusal to adjust to changes in the way Forge handles modifying certain vanilla features. The change was done to make Forge compliant with Minecraft's license/terms of use, which every single mod violated before that change was made (and non-Forge mods continue to violate). However, Mojang has never enforced that part of the terms and have no plans to enforce it in the future either, so the Optifine author basically said "I can't be arsed to change my code" and just kept on business as usual. As an unfortunate result, Optifine now conflicts with some mods that do custom rendering, because they call the Forge hooks while Optifine brute-forces its way into vanilla, which in turn calls Forge to fall on its nose because it doesn't find what it expects there any more.

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
I actually took out BoP, and every time I open a chest I crash to desktop. Eh.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
You might still find that some mods will be incompatible with Optifine, even if you install it right. This is because of Optifine's refusal to adjust to changes in the way Forge handles modifying certain vanilla features. The change was done to make Forge compliant with Minecraft's license/terms of use, which every single mod violated before that change was made (and non-Forge mods continue to violate). However, Mojang has never enforced that part of the terms and have no plans to enforce it in the future either, so the Optifine author basically said "I can't be arsed to change my code" and just kept on business as usual. As an unfortunate result, Optifine now conflicts with some mods that do custom rendering, because they call the Forge hooks while Optifine brute-forces its way into vanilla, which in turn calls Forge to fall on its nose because it doesn't find what it expects there any more.

Well that is quite annoying. And there is absolutely no alternative? Like the OP my pc isnt exactly brand new and I had much joy of the optimizations of Optifine. But not only that but how else can we get the full benefit of many of the features added by texturepacks?

And in:http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/direwolf20-1-6-4-optifine-wont-work.35468/
it was indicated that some mods now deliberately crashed the game with optifine present. If it was just a matter of a few buggy textures on some items in 1-2 mods, I could have lived with that rather than loosing all the good benefits from Optifine. Shouldn't it have been our choice of what to do?

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Well that is quite annoying. And there is absolutely no alternative? Like the OP my pc isnt exactly brand new and I had much joy of the optimizations of Optifine. But not only that but how else can we get the full benefit of many of the features added by texturepacks?

And in:http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/direwolf20-1-6-4-optifine-wont-work.35468/
it was indicated that some mods now deliberately crashed the game with optifine present. If it was just a matter of a few buggy textures on some items in 1-2 mods, I could have lived with that rather than loosing all the good benefits from Optifine. Shouldn't it have been our choice of what to do?
Until Optifine fixes its code... no. And it won't, because it will involve a full re-write.

The problem here is that, going forward, more and more Forge-compatible mods are using textures the correct way. Optifine isn't, and won't. Therefore, going forward, Optifine and more and more Forge-compatible mods will become incompatible.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Until Optifine fixes its code... no. And it won't, because it will involve a full re-write.

The problem here is that, going forward, more and more Forge-compatible mods are using textures the correct way. Optifine isn't, and won't. Therefore, going forward, Optifine and more and more Forge-compatible mods will become incompatible.
I see. So in essence we are stuck without all those features until someone makes a new "optifine"? Like Connected textures, Improved water/grass/snow, multiple mob looks, custom fonts, custom colours, smooth biomes, improved sky/clouds/celestial bodies etc. Because I guess I can make a workaround for all the optimizations by forking out money for a new pc, but even though the texture packs support all the graphical features, there is no way of incorporating it into the game without optifine?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I see. So in essence we are stuck without all those features until someone makes a new "optifine"? Like Connected textures, Improved water/grass/snow, multiple mob looks, custom fonts, custom colours, smooth biomes, improved sky/clouds/celestial bodies etc. Because I guess I can make a workaround for all the optimizations by forking out money for a new pc, but even though the texture packs support all the graphical features, there is no way of incorporating it into the game without optifine?
Many mods already have built-in connected textures. For example, ExtraUtils has built in connected textures for all of their new brick and glass blocks. TiCo glass has connected textures.

The rest can be done with texture packs already, and don't need Optifine to run anymore.

Aubinator

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to make SEUS (Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders) to work without optifine?

Are there any other options for shader packs that are good?

bigwolf2101

Jul 29, 2019
so thouse that don't have a good pc and have to use optifine cant play unless we shell out $$$ for a new PC
I gess this is the death of mods for me as I cant play the game with out it

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
so thouse that don't have a good pc and have to use optifine cant play unless we shell out $$$ for a new PC
I gess this is the death of mods for me as I cant play the game with out it
Eh, there are still mod packs you can play. For example, on the AT Launcher, ShneekeyCraft is very low-resource (as long as you don't pick any of the optional mods), and as long as you don't use BoP, it should be compatible with Optifine. However, even without Optifine, I was able to run it on 256 MB RAM.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com

Sigh. The problem with this is that for many people, Optifine isn't an option, as playing without it is ridiculously slow.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Sigh. The problem with this is that for many people, Optifine isn't an option, as playing without it is ridiculously slow.
So play on Lite packs. FTB Lite is Jadedcat's project I believe, or at least she's involved with it.

I think I've plugged my own mod pack on the ATLauncher enough for one day, but it also runs on 256 MB RAM as long as you don't use any of the optional mods (and works with Optifine if you don't install any of the optional mods).

hundkex

Jul 29, 2019
It hasn't been mentioned, but Tinker's Construct will halt if optifine is present.

You don't need optifine to use shaders, although the 1.6 ones aren't impressive, other than the fact that they work. If you turn off leaf waving, it looks OK, though.

Edit: that first part has been mentioned in other threads, however.

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
It hasn't been mentioned, but Tinker's Construct will halt if optifine is present.
Wrong.

I've got Optifine and TiCo running just fine in my own dev version of Minecraft. It will throw an error, but that won't halt or crash the game. It's just that mDyio won't provide any support to anyone with Optifine installed, so he's basically telling you 'if you crash, don't bother sending me a bug report until you have removed Optifine and tried again'.

You don't need optifine to use shaders, although the 1.6 ones aren't impressive, other than the fact that they work. If you turn off leaf waving, it looks OK, though.
And way too many lens flares.

Friends don't let friends Lens Flare.

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
Wrong.

I've got Optifine and TiCo running just fine in my own dev version of Minecraft. It will throw an error, but that won't halt or crash the game. It's just that mDyio won't provide any support to anyone with Optifine installed, so he's basically telling you 'if you crash, don't bother sending me a bug report until you have removed Optifine and tried again'.
Ah, thanks for that clarification :3

bigwolf2101

Jul 29, 2019
Eh, there are still mod packs you can play. For example, on the AT Launcher, ShneekeyCraft is very low-resource (as long as you don't pick any of the optional mods), and as long as you don't use BoP, it should be compatible with Optifine. However, even without Optifine, I was able to run it on 256 MB RAM.

yay just not the ones I want or care to play this realy does pI$$ me off a bit it should not be there choice to say hay we cant use this and if u do poof there we stoped your game and this is me just being a mad rant