Dartcraft, why even?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
What Dartcraft doesn't usually do is outclass every mod at what it does best. The armor is pretty nifty, yes, but MPS armor is either more powerful or more versatile in the categories in which they compete. The tools are great, but the second tier of Tinker's Construct has really brought forward strong contenders. Force Engines are amazing early on, but they can't touch my bee-powered liquid fuel 36HP boilers. Whenever there's an overlap in functionality, DartCraft is generally either a mere alternative or second/third best.

a) MPS itself is pretty damn OP, but MPS can't let you get 60 netherstars from a single wither kill.
2) Nothing in the game is faster than a power drill in area effect mode, and with Dart armor and magnet you don't need to worry about lava while doing it.
III) That Dartcraft engine can run the bee-powered liquid fuel as well, and do it at higher output than the boiler if using crushed ice (which also comes from bees), Plus it has zero warmup period.

In short, Dartcraft is the most OP mod in either FTB or RR, and that's why I made a multifarm for the first time in survival. To farm force trees.

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
How is a hammer faster than a power drill? My power drill is almost instant in area mode, which breaks at least twice as much as a hammer does at a time. AND it works on both stone and dirt, so I don't have to switch between a hammer and excavator.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Dartcraft is one of the mods that I really have mixed opinion. I would classify with other mods like EE3, Ars Magica, EE2 etc., as too cool to leave it out from SSP world, but too easy to spoil the game when abused (e.g. used efficiently). It has really good innovative features: BC pipes that do things, great worldgen with only one ore, using harder to get liquids to enhance power production, making "single use" tools specified to your needs; and some improved designs, for example all mods have some kind of bags, but DC ones combine all advantage of them in one and more, flight is my favorite one with IC2 jetpack being close second, very useful but still requires for you to make scaffolding. Of course there are some features that I really don't like: messing with TC3 silverwood balance, everything is dirty cheap which doesn't encourage designing cool systems, it is taking features too far like sharpness 10 or fortune 4, it completely replaces things from other mods with all around better alternatives like combustion engine or forestry grafter, it is really easy to make almost invulnerable armor, recycling armor or tools don't take durability into account, making mob farms even better.

Reactions: jokermatt999

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
a) MPS itself is pretty damn OP, but MPS can't let you get 60 netherstars from a single wither kill.
2) Nothing in the game is faster than a power drill in area effect mode, and with Dart armor and magnet you don't need to worry about lava while doing it.
III) That Dartcraft engine can run the bee-powered liquid fuel as well, and do it at higher output than the boiler if using crushed ice (which also comes from bees), Plus it has zero warmup period.

In short, Dartcraft is the most OP mod in either FTB or RR, and that's why I made a multifarm for the first time in survival. To farm force trees.

- I don't think that's the intended behavior. Somebody should ask Bluedart, though, since it's his mod.
- Nothing hand-held, maybe. Still can't pretend to make a dent on a frame quarry, unless you're telling me the thing can annihilate an 8x80x1 wall every second or so. When the 1.6 packs roll along it'll be interesting to see if we have the rebirth of the frame quarry in some form or another.
- Napkin math says a bank of crushed ice/fuel Force Engines has roughly 70% the efficiency of a 36HP running fuel. There are a lot of factors left out, such as the cost of crushed ice production and processing, but I can tell you that my server is not a fan of more alvearies running just to keep up. Those things chew TPS for whatever reason.

I think the feeling of power is a more visceral and hands on one, which is why it seems obvious, but examining actual end-game goals and tools, some of which are more automated and less hands on, needs to be part of the equation in a tech pack like Unleashed, in my opinion.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
The frame quarry exists in 1.5.2 if you use MFFS3. It's faster and more capable, as well.
Good to know. I kind of ended up having update fatigue myself when the 1.5.x stuff started hitting, so I haven't been playing with very many non-FTB pack mods since I was holding off for 1.6 on all of that. I was only introduced to DartCraft via messing with 152ngt.

I am somewhat scared think that there's something that supplants and surpasses my old Chasm Bore™ for resource gathering, though. =)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not a huge fan of Dartcraft but I do love that wrench. If someone made a standalone mod that did the same thing, picking up objects while retaining their invetory and letting me put that in my pack. I would also totaly suggest it for everyone mod pack up there. Be able to move a chest or tank has been wonderfully useful to me. Sure you can protal gun those but really with the wrench I can pack up my whole camp and stick it in a backpack. It is a god send early game and even late game it is wonderful for when you have to move a lot of stuff all at once.

Reactions: EternalDensity

Furfurfur2001

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not a huge fan of Dartcraft but I do love that wrench. If someone made a standalone mod that did the same thing, picking up objects while retaining their invetory and letting me put that in my pack. I would also totaly suggest it for everyone mod pack up there. Be able to move a chest or tank has been wonderfully useful to me. Sure you can protal gun those but really with the wrench I can pack up my whole camp and stick it in a backpack. It is a god send early game and even late game it is wonderful for when you have to move a lot of stuff all at once.
Force wrenches can move chests with the inventory in it? NEVER knew that

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019

Now I'm curious how it works with things like furnaces, if you have ore smelting in it and pick it up does it continue where it left off when you place it again?

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Now I'm curious how it works with things like furnaces, if you have ore smelting in it and pick it up does it continue where it left off when you place it again?

I don't know how that works but if you pick up an electric furnace, macerator, etc. but if you place them they look like machine blocks, but still work lol

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, the wrench has me interested, but until the spoils bags get taken care of I'll still hold back on running with Dartcraft. Once there are configs regarding the spoils bags I'll give it a shot though.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, the wrench has me interested, but until the spoils bags get taken care of I'll still hold back on running with Dartcraft. Once there are configs regarding the spoils bags I'll give it a shot though.

You could just discard the loot bags if you think they're OP or something.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

It works with almost any tile entity. It even works with Redstone energy cells, which is funny. It'll work with IC2 machines in mid processing run, even.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
oh my... a butthurt thread again? i think i should drop to a level of GT fanboys and say:"dont like it? dont use it"
it`s that simple.

No, it only applies when you're talking about Gregtech. Obviously. I can't believe you would even try to think they would realize that. God. -_- You need to realize that the GregCult will not listen to you and there's no point in wasting your time with them, mang.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Good to know. I kind of ended up having update fatigue myself when the 1.5.x stuff started hitting, so I haven't been playing with very many non-FTB pack mods since I was holding off for 1.6 on all of that. I was only introduced to DartCraft via messing with 152ngt.

I am somewhat scared think that there's something that supplants and surpasses my old Chasm Bore™ for resource gathering, though. =)

MFFS3 frame technology can move arbitrary volumes of blocks without disrupting them. Like railcraft tanks, or atomic science reactors, or factorization steam generators. It's humorous.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
True, but it would get kind of annoying and don't they cause issues with MFR grinders in that they won't be picked up?

A lot of stuff doesn't get picked up by MFR grinders, unless that has changed since the 152ngt packs. I always used to put a golem in the kill zone or rig the floor with blocks that can pick everything up.

Reactions: Revemohl