Dartcraft: One of the most overpowered mods of our time

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomMoped

Popular Member
Nov 17, 2012
Somewhere on the internet
Well, now that the Gregtech threads are getting cooled down, I figured I'd talk about what I sometimes think as the complete opposite to Gregtech: Dartcraft. Dartcraft can do many things that most other mods wouldn't allow you to do until late game or wouldn't even be possible with other mods. These include:

Early game flight. Simply socketing a feather into a piece of force armor or a force sword will cause you the ability to fly.

Fortune: Simply by making 4 fortune cookies, which is a cookie and a sheet of paper for each cookie, you're able to put fortune 4 on your tools. Not only is this ridiculously easy to do, but no other mod allows you to get fortune up to 4.

Tree-capitating: This mod adds an extremely easy way to add the timber effect to your tools. Simply add a force log

Bleed effect: This is pretty much an uncurable poison effect. How do you apply it? Simply put bat claws on your force armor and sword and punch people. The worst part? The bleed effect stacks, and most methods of flying won't work while bleeding
*coughpeggle*
What's everyone else's opinion on Dartcraft?

Pokefenn

Jul 29, 2019
Well, now that the Gregtech threads are getting cooled down, I figured I'd talk about what I sometimes think as the complete opposite to Gregtech: Dartcraft. Dartcraft can do many things that most other mods wouldn't allow you to do until late game or wouldn't even be possible with other mods. These include:

Early game flight. Simply socketing a feather into a piece of force armor or a force sword will cause you the ability to fly.

Fortune: Simply by making 4 fortune cookies, which is a cookie and a sheet of paper for each cookie, you're able to put fortune 4 on your tools. Not only is this ridiculously easy to do, but no other mod allows you to get fortune up to 4.

Tree-capitating: This mod adds an extremely easy way to add the timber effect to your tools. Simply add a force log

Bleed effect: This is pretty much an uncurable poison effect. How do you apply it? Simply put bat claws on your force armor and sword and punch people. The worst part? The bleed effect stacks, and most methods of flying won't work while bleeding
*coughpeggle*

Uuuuh, i installed it, saw the spoils bag, noticed how op they were.
Never messed around with the mod again xD

Reactions: dgdas9

haisho

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't really like it so most of the stuff from Dartcraft is rotting in countless chests...

But the one thing that really stands out? The Ender Tots.
....They're really dumb. And that's bad.

God knows how many times I've been assaulted by angry Enderparents out of nowhere early game.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Early Game Flight: True, but it's a severely limited form of flight, more useful to escape dangerous situations than to get from point A to point B. Too little flight time.

Fortune: Manual mining isn't everyone's cup of tea, and building a mob trap and enchantment table gets you Fortune III pretty easily.

Tree-Capitating: Not only is it available in Tinker's Construct now, it was also available with Thaumcraft before that, and it's really not that big a deal. Also, Force Ingots and Force Trees are not something you can get quite that easily, unless you have a pretty lucky spawn.

Bleed Effect: Isn't stronger or more broken than Nano Saber, pre-nerf Rapier, Manyullium Longsword with a lot of Quartz...

Maybe it's a little easier than some of the other mods, but it ain't broken by my definition. And in any case, it doesn't mess with other mods, so it's cool in my book. I can just choose not to use it.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
The fuzz approves of this Mod ... because he builds his houses from dirt and cobble.

Oh, didja know you can use the force wrench to relocate spawners? This mod is so full of win for the Fuzz.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

Dartcraft flight is not early game. You need an L4 tome for this, so you've made a few sets of tools and a full set of armor. This is about a stack of force gems in total, which are not easy to mine without fortune, and force shards. Assuming a squeezer. And then you get a lousy jump-assist flight and you have to redo your armor from scratch. And that armor is not really great until L5 or L6.

IndustrialCraft2 offers better flight option, earlier. Flight is plentiful and Dartcraft flight is only notable because it's pretty fast. Not as fast or as good as MPS, and it requires a full gear commitment AND your currently equipped item to actually work... It is in no way OP.

Well, this does require you have a chocolate farm and an L4 tome. And if you do that early, then you lose access to grinding. You can argue it's bad to have Fortune 4 (actually DC lets you get fortune 5), but the yields are not extremely higher. And many people still prefer Tinker's Construct tools for a variety of reasons.

The only "overpowered" part of DartCraft's fortune in my estimation is how it interacts with Grinding. If you have a grinding tool and Thermal Expansion on, then the pulverization effect's secondary output (e.g., gold from copper) is amplified by fortune. This can be pretty wild when you blow through a vein of 6 copper and walk away with 3 gold as well.

I'm not sure how treecapitator is anything even remotely OP. Many mods give you this for free on wooden tools. It's not my preference for solving that problem, but come on. Once you can make the altar you're past the point where wood is difficult.

Bleed effect: This is pretty much an uncurable poison effect. How do you apply it? Simply put bat claws on your force armor and sword and punch people.

"Simply" farm bat claws. One does not simply.

The worst part? The bleed effect stacks, and most methods of flying won't work while bleeding

Bleed does almost no damage. Someone with full hunger takes no net damage from even 2 bleed effects. In PvP, it's mostly a mobility hindrance. In PvE, it's a slight damage bumper for ranged weapons and a useless effect on weapons, unless you're a heck of a blaze hunter.

What blows my mind is you didn't even mention the OP things about Dartcraft. One: lootbags. Come on? Two: The force wrench can move spawners. It should not be able to do this (and neither should the gravity gun, in my opinion). Three: you can pass fortune 3 on ANY tool with dartcraft armor.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
How about the truly OP Force Engines? Those are by far the most efficient engines you can make. A really simple milk farm with MFR provides such a massive return on investment that you have to get into Atomic Science before you can compare. And they are available almost as soon as you get iron.

allmyr

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion, Dartcraft may be one of the most overpowered mods, but also one one of the most enjoyable. I love the customization that's available in the mod, which is very unique from others. Dartcraft is an early game mod which helps you before you get your big machines going, but it can also be played standalone. Hence the reason I love the mod. The only downside I can see is the force engine. It makes the other MJ-generating engines useless, which is bad.

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion, Dartcraft is very OP, but also very fun. In the end, I guess what matters is which one is more important to you: game play balance or having fun. I can say that my next world/pack will probably have dartcraft.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Same here. It's not extremely broken like Cobble to UU or anything, but it's definitely OP. Just my opinion, though.

Why is it op in a world where MFR's biogen exists?

In order to make it really powerful, you either need to burn a non-renewable resource OR be so invested in bees that you can basically already make infinite fuel anyways. Force Engines are a nice thing early on for 50% increases in output per unit fuel (which I've done in my LP, by my math suggests this is not 50% increase in efficiency because I am paying back about half that power to make milk). Mid game, yes, you can have a very powerful engine. But by that point you have energy tesseracts, boilers, Factorization Steam, oil bees, oil fabricators, lava fabricators, infinite charcoal farms, and more.

So it's hard for me to understand why people call the Force Engine OP. It's not anymore OP that MFR's engine is (it isn't) or Forestry's Electric Engine (also not really).

Uuuuh, i installed it, saw the spoils bag, noticed how op they were.
Never messed around with the mod again xD

It's too bad, because DartCraft has the best backpacks ever created in any mod ever. They are awesome, appropriately expensive, and appropriately intricate and fun.

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
My problem with the force engine, is that it is incredibly easy to hook it up to a squeezer and an aqueous accumulator for a very powerful early game engine. I think that's 8 mj/t, which makes it tied for the most powerful engine in the game, with almost no infrastructure. It's so good that no one will ever bother with the assorted early game engines such as the RC steam engine, TE steam engine or Forestry clockwork engine to power their early game TE machines
It's debatable how OP it is in a modpack with so many other options though, such as RR where you have many options for early game power gen and ore processing, such as Tinker's, mekanism, ic2, and anything else I forgot.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
By and large, I think that the infusion table needs an additional cost. The method of enchanting is perfect. I completely hate the way it works in vanilla where it is tied strictly to RNG and the experience bar. The power cost is not a big deal (I ran my first table off a clockwork engine) and the cost in force shards is negligible once you can hit the nether in relative safety. The only real currency that's left is either to stage the enchant materials (balls of feathers instead of feathers, etc) or perhaps drain xp relative to the cost of the enchant.

And the spoils bags probably need to be tuned down. I like getting them, and without them you can't have fun with force mitts, but you get an awful lot of loot from them, and they drop an awful lot.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Why is it op in a world where MFR's biogen exists?

In order to make it really powerful, you either need to burn a non-renewable resource OR be so invested in bees that you can basically already make infinite fuel anyways. Force Engines are a nice thing early on for 50% increases in output per unit fuel (which I've done in my LP, by my math suggests this is not 50% increase in efficiency because I am paying back about half that power to make milk). Mid game, yes, you can have a very powerful engine. But by that point you have energy tesseracts, boilers, Factorization Steam, oil bees, oil fabricators, lava fabricators, infinite charcoal farms, and more.
I'm not sure if you're quoting the wrong post or something...I didn't talk about the Force Engine at all. I don't actually consider that OP due to the existence of the RP2's Blulectric engine which is far more OP.[DOUBLEPOST=1374169873][/DOUBLEPOST]
My problem with the force engine, is that it is incredibly easy to hook it up to a squeezer and an aqueous accumulator for a very powerful early game engine. I think that's 8 mj/t, which makes it tied for the most powerful engine in the game, with almost no infrastructure. It's so good that no one will ever bother with the assorted early game engines such as the RC steam engine, TE steam engine or Forestry clockwork engine to power their early game TE machines
It's debatable how OP it is in a modpack with so many other options though, such as RR where you have many options for early game power gen and ore processing, such as Tinker's, mekanism, ic2, and anything else I forgot.
Most powerful engine in the game? RP2's Blulectric engine can output 32 MJ/t. And it runs off of solar panels, free passive energy generation!

Status
Not open for further replies.