Cow milking

Discussion in 'General FTB chat' started by Basti126, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Basti126

Basti126 New Member

is it possiple to milk a cow automatic ,without Redpower ?
  2. INCSlayer

INCSlayer Active Member

i think you might be able to make something with computercraft turtles but im not sure
  3. Bibble

Bibble Active Member

Yeah, I'd imagine a system similar to the bucket filler would work. Or, as someone suggested in another thread, possibly a standard dispenser?
  4. ICountFrom0

ICountFrom0 Well-Known Member

Just like filling a bucket with water, put the turtle above the cow and have at it.
  5. INCSlayer

INCSlayer Active Member

after some testing this worked nicely:

put the cow inside some fences so it cant move then put a turtle infront of it and a liquid transposer above the turtle make the front of the transposer face the cow:
    [​IMG]
    and put a pipe out the back of the transposer leading down to the turtle like this:
    [​IMG]
    configure the transposer to output like this:
    [​IMG]
    or well you can move the yellow outputs to the top or just use 1 aswell if you want the important bits are the blue and red ones

remember to give the turtle 1 bucket in the first slot (top left slot)
    then i use this code in the startup script on the turtle:

function checker()
    print("Running Checker")
    while turtle.getItemCount(1) < 1 do
    os.sleep(60)
    end
    print("Checker Done")
    end

while true do
    turtle.place()
    turtle.dropUp()
    print ("sleeping 3 Seconds")
    os.sleep(3)
    checker()
    end

i also put it up on my pastebin:
    http://pastebin.com/YSni8fDx
  6. Rikki21

Rikki21 Active Member

Will only work with the turtle placed like that and doing turtle.dropUp() or can you place the turtle above and do turtle.dropDown()?
  7. INCSlayer

INCSlayer Active Member

i havent tested but that should work just aswell just replace the relevant bits of code in the script and the input in the transposer
  8. Rikki21

Rikki21 Active Member

The reason I ask, is every time I try to milk a cow I aim underneath it somewhat. If I click on its face or the upper part of it, I never seem to get a milk bucket. So, I was just wondering if you have to get the bucket from below even with turtles and such. Mind you, I haven't tried milking a cow recently so perhaps this has changed.
  9. INCSlayer

INCSlayer Active Member

the actual milking bit is being done by the
    turtle.place()
    command since it makes the turtle try to place the bucket onto the cow which minecraft reads as milking it
  10. Rikki21

Rikki21 Active Member

Ah, that makes sense. So you could really place the turtle anywhere surrounding the cow. Cool.

Why do we want liquid milk anyway? For biomass engines that run a while at a low speed? Or something else?
  11. ICountFrom0

Don't those biomass engines running on milk still consume lava? Wouldn't that just make them inefficient lava engines?
  12. INCSlayer

INCSlayer Active Member

maybe they just like milk? i dunno i just make code and try to help people :D
  13. Rikki21

Rikki21 Active Member

They only take lava upon start up, then they run until they run out of milk.
  14. Squigie

Squigie Member

Milk could be an interesting alternative to peat for powering Forestry farms.
  15. ICountFrom0

Oh, I'm thinking of water now wasn't I?

Thanks for the correction.

Does that make the water part of a very inefficient steam engine?

Some people juggle geese.
  16. Golrith

Golrith Well-Known Member

That poor cow...

Honestly though, I wish the minecraft code was changed so that there is a time delay between milking a cow/mooshroom. Like when you shear sheep. Even the sheep respawn their wool too fast too.
  17. INCSlayer

INCSlayer Active Member

well atleast my script doesnt milk the cow if the turtle doesnt have a bucket :D
  18. Evil Hamster

Evil Hamster Active Member

I'm going to try setting one of those up. I have a (silly) goal of getting a full largest size possible railcraft tank of every type of liquid :cool:
  19. INCSlayer

INCSlayer Active Member

way ahead of you :D its a selfsustaining milk farm filling a 9x9x8 (you can enable it in the config default is 7x7x8) railcraft tank the transposers are powered by the forestry biogas engines
    [​IMG]
  20. Evil Hamster

Evil Hamster Active Member

I've got water and lava full, biomass and biogas each 10%, creosote oil LOL almost nothing and going to take forever... Ran myself out of iron building those tanks and waiting for my quarry to replenish my stock. I've found a couple oil wells nearby for the next 2 tanks, and I have a collection of seeds and apples for seed oil and apple juice. Honey will take a while as I haven't even started bees yet... My quarry is collecting a LOT of rock bees though.