Request Considering getting an SSD, any suggestions? Other questions too.

joxp

Jul 29, 2019
I'm considering getting a cheap 120GB SSD, I'm not sure which to get, and I'm not sure if I should get one in the first place.

My server only consists of a few friends, who would split the SSD cost with me, I run the server on Ubuntu, sans GUI from an old AutoCAD machine with an HP XW4600 441449-001 X38 FMB-0702 motherboard an old (Core 2 Duo?) processor though I've been told it's more than enough, 8GB of (probably DDR2) RAM, and an old, small video card that I'm not even sure is used and finally, an 80GB or so old drive, the speed is probably around 5400 RPM. I have pretty crappy internet, upload-wise so there are no more than 4 players on at any time.

I think the motherboard may only support 3GB/s SATA. As I cannot yet post links, my CPU should be this:
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8400 (6M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)

My players occasionally receive lag, especially when moving around fast and/or generating new chunks, their computers are more than equipped to handle that though. Could an SSD improve the server with a noticeable impact, or is it just the internet's upload speed that's slowing me down?

And lastly, the server is running with around 181 Mods on Forge (about the same number clientside too), and it's actually stable, the OS barely takes up RAM, I have it set to use 5-6GB, but should I perhaps look into putting the whole server, or just the world on a RAM drive instead? Thank you for any replies.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Ssd will only help when starting the server or loading already generated chunks if the upload speed is not the bottleneck.

something that may result in better performance is removing the gui from your server however you need to be handy with the terminal to use it then so that might not be an option.

Reactions: Harvest88

joxp

Jul 29, 2019
Ssd will only help when starting the server or loading already generated chunks if the upload speed is not the bottleneck.

something that may result in better performance is removing the gui from your server however you need to be handy with the terminal to use it then so that might not be an option.

I guess I just need a better CPU for now, and I never had the GUI, I got the Ubuntu Server version.

joxp

Jul 29, 2019
I agrees a more current CPU and DDR3 RAM should do you much better than worrying about SSDs.

The problem is that this is just a machine for fun that I got for free, I'm absolutely not willing to spend the money for a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is that this is just a machine for fun that I got for free, I'm absolutely not willing to spend the money for a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM.

You could always try refurnished parts and/or go lower on the hardware specification (like instead of trying to get a brand NEW Haswell CPU and board, try to get something in the Sandy Bridge range instead for instance).