Mod Feedback ChromatiCraft questions and suggestions

ReignOfMagic

Jul 29, 2019
Have you been doing any Thaumcraft? I've had similar glitches involving ChC HUD elements and TC warp events.

I have a few other random graphical bugs that I assume is related to optifine. Examples include thaumcraft book and research table not showing lines between "nodes" of research, ars magica occulus not having lines and everything being very dark. The random bit is it isn't constant it will happen every now and then for like 5 min or so then will revert back to normal.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Try without Optifine. That typically breaks rendering within mods.
I can confirm that the same thing has happened to me without Optifine. At the time I decided to arbitrarily blame it on the poorly supported minimap mod I've been using* and not worry about it, though I never bothered to scientifically find out exactly what was causing the problem.

*Specifically an unoffically updated version of MapWriter. In my defense, when I put together most of the collection of mods I've been using for 1.7.10 back in October, there were very few minimap mods out at the time.

bassomarko

Jul 29, 2019
Question regarding fragments: I am nearing the end of the achievements, and I'm pretty sure that to progress any further, I need to get the power crystal achievement. I haven't yet found that fragment, and I currently have 22 extra blank fragments. In the past when I am missing a fragment, I complete a tier of achievements then put those blank fragments in my inventory to reveal what they are. Thing is, I have completed every achievement leading up to the power crystal one (including the ritual altar/abilities one next to it), so I don't know what else to do to get the missing fragment. Are the blank ones actually specific, so I need to keep looking for that specific power crystal fragment, or did I forget to do something in my progression?

tl;dr: Are blank fragments specific to a page, or do they reveal themselves randomly according to achievement tier?

(edited for grammar)

Last edited:

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
... I may be faced with a server reset right as I got into Chromaticraft due to a logistics pipes issue.

@Reika, I know we've bantered around the rainbow forests being safe issue. Would it break progression if no RF biomes spawned at all? I think I've seen rainbow trees as a very rare tree in the overworld. Perhaps that would be a suitable answer, much like I exclude mushroom forests from spawning in our worlds too just disable a safe biome.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Question regarding fragments: I am nearing the end of the achievements, and I'm pretty sure that to progress any further, I need to get the power crystal achievement. I haven't yet found that fragment, and I currently have 22 extra blank fragments. In the past when I am missing a fragment, I complete a tier of achievements then put those blank fragments in my inventory to reveal what they are. Thing is, I have completed every achievement leading up to the power crystal one (including the ritual altar/abilities one next to it), so I don't know what else to do to get the missing fragment. Are the blank ones actually specific, so I need to keep looking for that specific power crystal fragment, or did I forget to do something in my progression?

tl;dr: Are blank fragments specific to a page, or do they reveal themselves randomly according to achievement tier?

(edited for grammar)
They are dynamic, so as long as you have not revealed something, then lost that fragment, you should be good.

bassomarko

Jul 29, 2019
They are dynamic, so as long as you have not revealed something, then lost that fragment, you should be good.
Thanks for your quick reply. What I meant is that no matter how many blank fragments I pick up, the power crystal one will not reveal itself. Did I not complete something in my progression?

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for your quick reply. What I meant is that no matter how many blank fragments I pick up, the power crystal one will not reveal itself. Did I not complete something in my progression?
Odd. I have not used enough chromaticraft to know the specifics, but try looking through, as it appears that you have missed a progression step. Also, try looking in the second tab on the right of the book. It should have nothing in it, but if it has a fragment in it, click on it with ink sacs and paper in your inventory. That is the missing fragments page. If there is nothing there and you don't mind spoilers, try running /chromaprog -3 and /chromaresearch -3 (Approximate command names.) Then try posting the output of that as a spoiler or an imgur link. These commands will show your research and progression, but be careful, as -2 will reset your progression or research.

Reactions: Wraithflay

bassomarko

Jul 29, 2019
Odd. I have not used enough chromaticraft to know the specifics, but try looking through, as it appears that you have missed a progression step. Also, try looking in the second tab on the right of the book. It should have nothing in it, but if it has a fragment in it, click on it with ink sacs and paper in your inventory. That is the missing fragments page. If there is nothing there and you don't mind spoilers, try running /chromaprog -3 and /chromaresearch -3 (Approximate command names.) Then try posting the output of that as a spoiler or an imgur link. These commands will show your research and progression, but be careful, as -2 will reset your progression or research.

Ok, problem solved. I did what you suggested in the second tab on the right of the book. It only showed the exact page I wanted and was missing, so I clicked on it with ink and paper in my inventory, and immediately got the fragment in my book. I had no idea about that second tab, so thanks for the heads up!

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Apologies if I'm mixing up the two tabs whose designations I cannot remember, but I believe I was stuck for a while at the same point, to the point I went and looked at the source to see why it wasn't unlocking.

I've actually never heard of the ink and paper thing, but the specific requirements to get the Power Crystals achievement to unlock is
to craft 8 power crystals, place them on a single pylon, and have that pylon recharge itself from below 180k lumens. If in multiplayer, the power crystals should remember who placed them and award the achievement to that player.

This sounds fairly obvious, but the catch here is that apparently the pylon will not actually drop below 180k lumens if the power crystals can supply more lumens per tick than are being drained from it, and the achievement will not award. Crafting generally uses fewer lumens per tick than 8 power crystals can provide, so the only reliable way I found was to draw from it with a manipulator while I had a very high lumen cap. Another method I didn't think of at the time but occurs to me now is to break part of the pylon to drain and disable it, add 8 power crystals, and replace the block to fix the pylon again

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Ok, problem solved. I did what you suggested in the second tab on the right of the book. It only showed the exact page I wanted and was missing, so I clicked on it with ink and paper in my inventory, and immediately got the fragment in my book. I had no idea about that second tab, so thanks for the heads up!
The tab is fragment recovery.

Also, the way fragments and progression works is as follows:

There are three trackers running, all of which are stored in the player data.

One is the "Progress Stages". This is the web you see on the top-right tab. This is a general boolean "flag" tree, used for keeping track of "has player done X".
The second is the "Research". These are the actual fragment/lexicon entries.
The third is the "Research Level". This is a general scale of progression, ranging from "Entry-Level" to "End-game"; these are the "tiers" seen in the lexicon entries (left-to-right sorting).

Progress stages are specific flags - each one has a very specific action to trigger it - and some depend on others, creating the web. These act mostly independently.
Research (fragments) is semi-independent. Each time you get a blank fragment - all items spawn in the world as blank - it determines a next appropriate fragment to give.

Each research item has a research level assigned to it, as well as zero or more progress stages. When you get a blank fragment, the algorithm looks for any unreceived entries on your research level. Determination is mostly random within a level, but certain specific items are given increased priority to bias them earlier. Examples include the casting structure pages.

If you have all fragments on a research level - aside from a few specifically flagged as "non-gating", such as the one for Ocean Temples - as well as meet the "upgrade" condition of the level, you can move to the next research level, opening up many new fragments.

However, research with progress stages specified require those to be fulfilled before those can be given, making it possible to be at a state where blank fragments stop converting (because the last fragments to upgrade your research level require progress stages you lack). This is why doing specific things can sometimes seem to "unstick" progression, opening 20 or more new fragments.

Also, you may fail to meet that upgrade criteria, such as from having not tried to craft any items of that tier. I would say this is probably the most common reason, as well as a couple specific progress stages - most notoriously the Liquid Chroma one, which gates Alloys, a "RUNECRAFT"-level fragment that will stop you from progressing to "ENERGYEXPLORE".

Because most of the progress stages/criteria are things seen in normal gameplay, often even outside ChromatiCraft, on the whole, the system is fairly transparent to "normal play", only hard-stopping a player if they are either rushing through the mod (such as single-mindedly pursuing the endgame while ignoring the intermediates, causing crafting and other flags to get missed) or have done little exploring/non-CC gameplay, something that tends to only happen if CC is the only thing a player is trying (and CC is not designed for beginning-game).

Also, if fragments remain blank, do not discard them. They are not "spent".

Answering your question, @Demosthenex, no, you cannot remove the biome. Finding it is one of the progress stages that gates, among other things, the "dimension" stage (and thus everything that comes after it), as well as the ability to actually craft or use the portal.

Spoilers for those who want specifics (in code form):
Research Levels:
ENTRY(),
RAWEXPLORE(),
BASICCRAFT(),
RUNECRAFT(),
ENERGYEXPLORE(),
CHARGESELF(),
MULTICRAFT(),
NETWORKING(),
PYLONCRAFT(),
ENDGAME();

Research Level Stepping:
Code:
--Note: This is the "can step to" function, so stepping from a level is equivalent to "canStepTo(next)".--
    public boolean canProgressTo(EntityPlayer ep) {
       switch(this) {
       case ENTRY:
         return true;
       case CHARGESELF:
         return ProgressStage.CHARGE.isPlayerAtStage(ep);
       case RAWEXPLORE:
         return ProgressStage.CRYSTALS.isPlayerAtStage(ep);
       case ENERGYEXPLORE:
         return ProgressStage.PYLON.isPlayerAtStage(ep);
       case BASICCRAFT:
         return ProgressStage.CRYSTALS.isPlayerAtStage(ep); //for now
       case RUNECRAFT:
         return RecipesCastingTable.playerHasCrafted(ep, RecipeType.CRAFTING);
       case MULTICRAFT:
         return RecipesCastingTable.playerHasCrafted(ep, RecipeType.TEMPLE);
       case PYLONCRAFT:
         return ProgressStage.REPEATER.isPlayerAtStage(ep);
       case NETWORKING:
         return RecipesCastingTable.playerHasCrafted(ep, RecipeType.MULTIBLOCK);
       case ENDGAME:
         return RecipesCastingTable.playerHasCrafted(ep, RecipeType.PYLON);
       default:
         return false;
       }
     }

--Note 2: Crafting "Tiers" are "Crafting, Temple, MultiBlock, Pylon"--

Research/Fragments:
https://github.com/ReikaKalseki/ChromatiCraft/blob/master/Registry/ChromaResearch.java#L69

Progress Stages:
--The arguments are "icon, condition to show" (=true if unspecified)--
Code:
    CASTING(ChromaTiles.TABLE.getCraftedProduct()), //Do a recipe
     CRYSTALS(ChromaBlocks.CRYSTAL.getStackOfMetadata(CrystalElement.RED.ordinal())), //Found a crystal
     DYETREE(ChromaBlocks.DYELEAF.getStackOfMetadata(CrystalElement.YELLOW.ordinal())), //Harvest a dye tree
     MULTIBLOCK(ChromaTiles.STAND.getCraftedProduct()), //Assembled a multiblock
     RUNEUSE(ChromaBlocks.RUNE.getStackOfMetadata(CrystalElement.ORANGE.ordinal())), //Placed runes
     PYLON(ChromaTiles.PYLON.getCraftedProduct()), //Found pylon
     LINK(ChromaTiles.COMPOUND.getCraftedProduct()), //Made a network connection/high-tier crafting
     CHARGE(ChromaItems.TOOL.getStackOf()), //charge from a pylon
     ABILITY(ChromaTiles.RITUAL.getCraftedProduct()), //use an ability
     RAINBOWLEAF(ChromaBlocks.RAINBOWLEAF.getStackOf()), //harvest a rainbow leaf
     CHROMA(ChromaTiles.COLLECTOR.getCraftedProduct()), //step in liquid chroma
     STONES(ChromaStacks.elementUnit), //craft all elemental stones together
     SHOCK(ChromaBlocks.PYLONSTRUCT.getStackOfMetadata(5)), //get hit by a pylon
     HIVE(ChromaBlocks.HIVE.getBlockInstance(), ModList.FORESTRY.isLoaded()),
     NETHER(Blocks.portal), //go to the nether
     END(Blocks.end_portal_frame), //go to the end
     TWILIGHT(ModWoodList.CANOPY.getItem(), ModList.TWILIGHT.isLoaded()), //Go to the twilight forest
     BEDROCK(Blocks.bedrock), //Find bedrock
     CAVERN(ChromaBlocks.STRUCTSHIELD.getStackOfMetadata(BlockType.CLOAK.metadata)), //Cavern structure
     BURROW(Blocks.chest), //Burrow structure
     OCEAN(ChromaBlocks.STRUCTSHIELD.getStackOfMetadata(BlockType.GLASS.metadata)), //Ocean floor structure
     DIE(Items.skull), //die and lose energy
     ALLCOLORS(ChromaItems.ELEMENTAL.getStackOf(CrystalElement.CYAN)), //find all colors
     REPEATER(ChromaTiles.REPEATER.getCraftedProduct()), //craft any repeater type
     RAINBOWFOREST(ChromaBlocks.RAINBOWSAPLING.getBlockInstance()),
     DIMENSION(ChromaBlocks.PORTAL.getBlockInstance()),
     CTM(ChromaBlocks.SUPER.getStackOfMetadata(CrystalElement.YELLOW.ordinal())), //icon is a placeholder
     STORAGE(ChromaItems.STORAGE.getStackOf()),
     BALLLIGHTNING(ChromaStacks.auraDust),
     POWERCRYSTAL(ChromaTiles.CRYSTAL.getCraftedProduct()),
     BREAKSPAWNER(Blocks.mob_spawner),
     KILLDRAGON(Blocks.dragon_egg),
     KILLWITHER(Items.nether_star),

Last edited:

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
Spiffy.

I'd really like to see something to the effect of a lumen-powered node transducer. The vanilla Thaumcraft transducer will energize a node to produce the square root of its vis content per tick as centivis; e.g. a node with 100 base ignis will energize into 10 ignis centivis per tick, and a node with 1000 ignis will energize into 31 centivis per tick. What if Chromaticraft could wrench open a node with the aid of lumen power for a better base-node-size-to-centivis ratio?

Of course, I'll bet Thaumcraft's API doesn't have any convenient ways for modifying energized nodes. Oh well.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I'm aware of the RoC EMP-node interaction thing, but having an energized node that can do 100 cv/tick for each primal aspect... but with a visual radius that rivals render distance isn't quite acceptable.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Spiffy.

I'd really like to see something to the effect of a lumen-powered node transducer. The vanilla Thaumcraft transducer will energize a node to produce the square root of its vis content per tick as centivis; e.g. a node with 100 base ignis will energize into 10 ignis centivis per tick, and a node with 1000 ignis will energize into 31 centivis per tick. What if Chromaticraft could wrench open a node with the aid of lumen power for a better base-node-size-to-centivis ratio?

Of course, I'll bet Thaumcraft's API doesn't have any convenient ways for modifying energized nodes. Oh well.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I'm aware of the RoC EMP-node interaction thing, but having an energized node that can do 100 cv/tick for each primal aspect... but with a visual radius that rivals render distance isn't quite acceptable.
This can recharge an entire vis a tick. :p

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Answering your question, @Demosthenex, no, you cannot remove the biome. Finding it is one of the progress stages that gates, among other things, the "dimension" stage (and thus everything that comes after it), as well as the ability to actually craft or use the portal.

Given they spread the biome when planted, the question is could they be left out of worldgen and only develop when caused by players?

I'm trying to find a way to include CC despite the difficulty of the packs I make.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I believe rainbow trees spread the biome by themselves?

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

bassomarko

Jul 29, 2019
Now a question regarding the pylons: I was removing some power crystals from a fully charged pylon to move them to another pylon, and I accidentally broke one of the runes on the pylon, draining and disabling it. I replaced the rune, but now it won't recharge even with power crystals on it. I normally wouldn't mind, but it's hooked up to my repeater network and is about 700 blocks from my casting complex. Is there any way to 'jump start' the pylon so that it works again? I thought replacing the broken rune block would work, but it doesn't seem to. Is it broken beyond repair?

Sorry if this is a noob-ish question, I really enjoy the mod and figuring things out on my own, but the thought of taking all these repeaters down and moving them to a new pylon is slightly off-putting if there's a simple fix I'm missing.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Given they spread the biome when planted, the question is could they be left out of worldgen and only develop when caused by players?

I'm trying to find a way to include CC despite the difficulty of the packs I make.
Only the rainbow tree spreads the biome, and that is a disabled-by-default config.

Now a question regarding the pylons: I was removing some power crystals from a fully charged pylon to move them to another pylon, and I accidentally broke one of the runes on the pylon, draining and disabling it. I replaced the rune, but now it won't recharge even with power crystals on it. I normally wouldn't mind, but it's hooked up to my repeater network and is about 700 blocks from my casting complex. Is there any way to 'jump start' the pylon so that it works again? I thought replacing the broken rune block would work, but it doesn't seem to. Is it broken beyond repair?

Sorry if this is a noob-ish question, I really enjoy the mod and figuring things out on my own, but the thought of taking all these repeaters down and moving them to a new pylon is slightly off-putting if there's a simple fix I'm missing.

The structure is broken.