[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I'm taking a look now. I play huge kitchen sink packs with lots of esoteric mods, so I should be able to see if things are odd for various parts of the challenge with certain mods. I'm also an inveterate Breaker of All Things Progression, so I'll note anything that seems to muck with the challenge in either direction (too easy or too hard).

I did notice though, you're missing RFTools as a dimension mod. Seeing as how it's Tech Mystcraft, that does seem to be a bit of an oversight :)

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...the-modded-fantasy-city-build-challenge-v-0-6

Interestingly enough, I actually took out RF Tools from the pack I intend to try with @Monarch_of_Gold's challenge. I love the mod, but that strange "player" entry I keep seeing in the server logs drives me a bit crazy, so I'm putting it in time-out for this go around. As much as I dislike that profiling thing that Mystcraft does, I went with Mystcraft for the dimensional mod on this go-around.

I'm also using Rotarycraft (among others) in the pack, intending to go nearly full-on "Advanced Challenge" mode -- The only exception being that I'm still not doing Gregtech. Nothing against the mod, I just don't want that much of an overhaul to how things work.

Due to the nature of the challenge, I'm also omitting Custom Ore Generation for expediency more than anything.

Thaumcraft and Blood Magic are both present, though I have opted out of Ars Magica, Botania and Witchery.

I am using 'Improving Minecraft', particularly for the early Wild Animals stage. It caught my fancy, and I want to see how it plays out.

The pack as it currently stands weighs in at approximately 170 mods, but that number is a tad misleading as things like Minefactory Reloaded register as nearly 20 mods by themselves.

I am intentionally not using Journeymap or any other mini-map. Preferring this time to stay a little more in-theme with 'Antique Atlas'. As for item recovery from deaths, I am using Cyano's Lootable Bodies.

Counting the number of jar files in the mods folder, I'm at 124 mods, maybe 6-10 of those being client side mods, like Waila or Inventory Tweaks.

I'll detail the list a bit more over in the appropriate thread.

Edit: Spelling error.

Last edited:

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Looking forward to it! Thanks, y'all!! (I was raised in the southeastern states surrounded by cow pastures and patties)

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
So I've been in a new world (when I haven't been staying with friends who have 4 kids under the age of 7 for the last three weeks), and have been building up a new Challenge. I've been experimenting with a few things, and after tinkering around with Villager mechanics, I think I'll be actually addressing that soon. Up 'til now it's been an area I haven't addressd, but needed to. People have pretty much been following their own rules for it, I would assume.

The basic position would be that you can feel free to avail yourselves of their services, but try to stay within the spirit of the challenge. Because, yes, you COULD get Iron tools rather easily by exploiting available resources, even in a Dirt Hovel stage. In the beginning I was leery of doing this, but after tinkering with Villagers for a while (and ruthlessly culling the herd with a block of sand an a Cacti block to get rid of the damn Clerics) I (finally got a damn Farmer--even two! Only took wiping out all Villagers but four Librarians and the pair of Golems), I've come to the decision that there's not really a good reason not to specifically allow Villager usage, with a few restrictions.

Reasoning is that in Vanilla there aren't any uses for Emeralds outside of Villagers and decorative blocks. On top of that, most mods I've seen only use Emeralds when they're dealing with Villager mechanics.

TL:DR (Applies to Vanilla, has not taken mod-added Villagers into consideration)

Feel free to use Villagers, try not to buy items/weapons from Villagers that are outside the tools you can currently craft. This is specifically referring to Vanilla Tool/Weaponsmiths and Armorers, which allow you to get Iron Arms/Armor/Tools, and Diamond Arms/Armor in, potentially, the Dirt Hovel Stage if you have the correct lucky mix of resources and Villagers.

Exceptions: Shears, Compasses, Clocks, getting Villagers to *cook* your meat for you and paying in Emeralds, and *all* Cleric trades (except Redstone) are permitted at any time.

Compasses are useful and you can use them for maps, which are pretty useful sometimes.

At heart, I'm a resource collector. Not an engineer, not a builder, but I love getting *all the things*

So I've spent way too long planting and chopping down Jungle Trees and building up from 4 Saplings that I took a special trip to find to ~30 or so atm. I've gathereed a bunch of cows and dropped them in a hole, I haven't bothered to collect Sheep yet because there are so many of the things all over the place. I had a bunch of eggs but I used them up for feathers so I could trade written books to the Villagers. All 5 of the Vanilla trees are present and in good supply.

The Villagers should now be self-propagating now that they have Farmers to harvest/share food.

.......I'm just waitting impatiently for Shepherds/Fishermen.

I actually have discovered 2 Villages. One started with ~5-7 Villagers, the other has exactly 2. Village 2, on the other hand, started near Hroses. the first Village spawned a Leatherworker not long back, and I've traded up the chain and gotten 4 saddles (I also have a nametag in one of my badly disorganized chests somewhere). I went up to Village 2 and tamed a pair of horses, then went exploring ,hoping to find Donkeys. To my joy, I found a pair. I tamed them, brought them both back to the first Village, where they were issued Chests and shut in a hastily-erected Stable. I plan on getting at least 2 Horses for each stop on my road. That means faster than running travel. woo.

.....makes me wish I could breed horses atm, but noooo.....it has to be golden apple/carrot.

Now my next job is to finish up the roads (yay for Rough Dirt/Gravel for easy, plentiful road-building materials) connecting my starting point, the Village (which has access to both a waterway AND a Ravine, making the cave entrance I was going to make the official Settlement Mine look wimpy by comparison), and Village 2. I WAS going to name my starting Village Altaria, but I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that that is now the name of the Village, and my starting point is my Personal Estate-to-be.

......I ay have gone slightly overboard planting Sugar Cane, though. 500+ base plants is probably a bit much.

But hey, for the longest time before the Cull, the only decent trades I could make were with the Librarians.

.....if I ever have to build a road through a Desert, I'm probably gonna go with Dirt in the middle, with a pair of Rough Dirt blocks on either side of it, for a nice green strip down the middle.

btw if anyone knows of a way to make Custom NPCs ride/lead Donkeys/Mules I would love to hear it. I would love to have a convoy of merchants making their way between towns. A half dozen or so with packed chests and guards.

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
So I kind of re-discovered Mr.Crayfish's construction mod and, after some messing around, have declared it safe for 1.7.10 and mods (because I successfully used it to build a copy of a building I made using witchwood planks, logs, and illusion blocks) even though forge will complain a little bit. The latest version was written for 1.7.2.

Unfortunately, there is no access to any build packs at the moment, meaning if you want to use it either we'll have to come up with packs or you'll have to design your own stuff and save it in creative with the pencil tool.

Thoughts? I want to add it as a suggested mod to my challenge, but I, like Maul, tend to get overly wordy (the most recent update saw the hints and tips section getting simplified). This has already led to a lot of things being a much longer read than they should be (and I do plan to change that as things come around). Because of this tendency and the small amount of explaining this mod brings with it, I'm concerned I may turn adding a simple entry into a paragraph essay on why the mod is on the list even though it's not even updated to 1.7.10 and what you need to do to get buildings because it doesn't come with any.

Q _ Q The joys of writing a challenge....

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Schematica is hard to beat for building things, and is quite challenge-safe if you tell it in the configs to use items in the inventory to build.

You can easily save your work as schematics to share with others or share between worlds, and you can import schematics from sites like mcschematics to pull designs into your worlds.

You can have it just show you ghost blocks (all at once or layer-by-layer) for you to use as a guide to build for yourself, or you can turn on printer mode and it will place the blocks for you, assuming you have them in your inventory.

Hands down, nothing I've seen comes close to this.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Well, construction works so I'm gonna go with that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The only issue is Forge turns the text red because the version numbers don't match. Beyond that, though, I haven't had any problems. The only main issue is that structure packs don't exist anymore (I can't find them if they do).

[EDIT] So it finally decided to kick me in my ***. I checked out a mod review for Schematica and think it'll work well for my purposes. Thanks for the suggestion, Dragon!

Last edited:

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
So a kid decided to ignore my answer to "why isn't buildcraft on the list" and continued to annoy me.

Have you ever ran into a situation like this? How do you handle it? I personally hate getting nasty but I will if I have to.

For now, I've told them that their name won't be on the beta-testers list because, to me, a respectable tester respects the decisions of the author and doesn't continue to bother them.

I said no and provided ample reasoning. I mean no.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
So a kid decided to ignore my answer to "why isn't buildcraft on the list" and continued to annoy me.

Have you ever ran into a situation like this? How do you handle it? I personally hate getting nasty but I will if I have to.

For now, I've told them that their name won't be on the beta-testers list because, to me, a respectable tester respects the decisions of the author and doesn't continue to bother them.

I said no and provided ample reasoning. I mean no.
You're doing great. If someone keeps bugging you even though you've provided your reasoning, just say "I have provided you with my reason and I am not changing my mind." As the author of anything, you're not obligated to give your reasoning at all, to anybody, about anything. It's nice if you do, but not necessary. If the person continues disrespecting you, end that statement with "Deal with it" or "If you don't like it, don't play it." Beyond that, just stop giving them updates (as you have). :p

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I was just making sure. I don't like getting nasty because I can usually over-do it fast. I'm getting better, though. The older I get the more maternal instinct seems to kick in (I'm not a mom yet but I plan to be one day and a teacher before that).

I guess the incentive in the future will be a list of honorable players where every player starts there. If you irritate me and use your three strikes (by making me explain something three times) you get removed from that list.

Beyond that I guess would be the dishonorable list.

And, yes, I know I don't technically have to explain why. It's not like I'm a police officer that has to follow the Miranda laws (watched a movie about how that came about in 8th gade). I explain why because that's the easiest way to avoid conflict. Sometimes, though, we all run into that stubborn spoiled kid that refuses to have any other way about it even after telling them "you can still use it, I'm just not going to write for it."

I also just wanted a bit of open discussion on how the people here would handle a situation like that (given that this is a forum pertaining specifically to modded minecraft).

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Maul_Junior

Jul 29, 2019
You're doing great. If someone keeps bugging you even though you've provided your reasoning, just say "I have provided you with my reason and I am not changing my mind." As the author of anything, you're not obligated to give your reasoning at all, to anybody, about anything. It's nice if you do, but not necessary. If the person continues disrespecting you, end that statement with "Deal with it" or "If you don't like it, don't play it." Beyond that, just stop giving them updates (as you have). :p

Prety much this, Monarch. I haven't had any problems like that here, except for page 1, where someone objected to a few Cubeaism things on personal religious grounds and almost started a flame war. I put my foot down and that was the end.

Basically I'd tell them "This is the mod set I am designing my challenge for. If you want to use Buildcraft in your modpack, feel free, but I'm not writing anything specifically for it."

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
It is also effective to just put a disclaimer in the top somewhere in the area where you mentioned something like "if you don't like a rule, change it" to also point out that if a player really wants a mod added that isn't on the "official" list, feel free to do so. But to keep things at a manageable common baseline level, you are the final arbiter of what is and is not going on the list - particularly while you're still testing.

People who are too rabid to get past small issues like this generally don't make good testers at all.

I like certain mods, but I can just as easily switch them off if I need to test something, or if it really disrupts the flow from what is intended. I don't take it personally, as I can always go back to my preferred setup in another instance with minimal effort.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
It is later mentioned in the FAQ. Everything is placed around the post in a way that seems to make sense to me. First, you have the list of challenges that are either similar or referenced with links to them. That is followed by the general list of guidelines and then a list of things meant to help you out. After that, you have what the challenge will be based around - a list of suggested mods for you to mess around with. This is suggested because I have absolutely no right to tell you what mods to play with even though it was intended to change over to a required list. I quickly realized suggestions fit it better and make it easier to customize and more community-centric. After that, you have your next choice which is in what race you play as. This ultimately should be what helps to shape your mod list and depends on player preference. The skins are below that because one day I want to have at least one male and female skin for each race and you won't know what skin you'll want to have on until you've selected your race. After that you have the actual challenge followed by the FAQ. The FAQ comes after all of these things because I want you to have read through most of these things carefully (at least the tips, guidelines, and mods) before asking questions. Now you can read through questions I've already answered more than once to get answers that should help you. It is here where I address questions regarding what mods to use when playing (Why isn't this one listed? Why aren't they updated for 1.8? Do I have to use mods? What about the ones you suggest? What about ones not on the list?). If you are too lazy to read a FAQ, then you probably aren't going to enjoy my challenge.

As for people not understanding that as the author I have the ultimate final say in anything that goes on the post, that's their problem, not mine. It's not to keep things "manageable" or at a "baseline" it's just because it's my challenge that I'm authoring and I am the only one that gets to say what is written and what it's written for. I will attempt to generalize as much as possible, but in some areas that just won't be possible. This will be when "change a rule if you don't like it" can be used to make changes to the challenge that fit more with what the player is doing with their personal adventure. Also, I want this to be more fair to everyone (including people with poor pc builds). My computer really isn't that bad spec-wise but it is really lacking in processing power, often only running at 1.7 gHz. This is because it's built for Windows 8 which doesn't need much speed to do things. This means that while the kids computer was also kinda shotty, mine was shottier. I can run on a very decent amount of mods and have played with BuildCraft myself, but I know that there are always people out there (for instance, my mom) that have computers that are even worse and struggle with one mod, much less some extra ones that honestly don't do too much. With this in mind, I try to make decisions on mods less on impulse and more on usefulness. How much does the mod add to the game? How useful is it? How fun would it be to play the challenge with this mod? Does it do something new many players haven't seen before? Is it worth it?

If one of these questions is answered in a way that's more like "ehhhh.. welll....." than an actual argument or is answered with "this will be no fun at all," the mod is kicked to the curb and forgotten about. When all the questions can be answered with very sensible arguments (for example: IndustrialCraft adds a lot of really fun tech items that are also quite useful. The items the mod adds will be very fun to mess around with in the confines of the challenge. In fact, I'm coming up with fun ideas for my world already. IndustrialCraft does a lot of new things that many mods don't do and, believe me, when you fly around with your jet pack on for the first time and see your windmill sticking up from a nicely constructed building, you'll know all your hard work has been worth it), it is added to the list so I can mentally think up tasks that might require either that mod or some creative thinking with another mod.

I want my players to have fun and not worry about missing out on it or not knowing which mods they can try out. That's why there's a suggested mod list (and because I had the idea already and several people were asking for it).

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Looking forward to it! Thanks, y'all!! (I was raised in the southeastern states surrounded by cow pastures and patties)
Crosspost GO!

I plan on trying the challenge soon-ish, if you have room for another modded tester. Gonna go Anglo-Saxon and do eet advanced mode.

I do need to stabilize my current instance first, though. Somehow it's gotten very unstable. Lag gets bad almost instantly, and all but unbearable shortly after that.
And I'm going advanced, so in goes GT, and while I'm at it, GalaticCraft.

Reactions: Monarch_of_Gold

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
So I'm currently saving the introductory informational episode number 00 before I start editing the first episode of the let's play I'm doing for M-FCB

Let's get some HYPE!

Capt Gates

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying out this challenge and really like where you can go with it. Was disappointed when I saw that the unofficially official modpack fell through and was wondering if anyone was working on an offically unofficial modpack? If not would anyone be interested in helping out with one? I've currently been spawning in AW2 workers for my immigrants and have some ideas using HQM and possibly Progression to make a structured pack without having to spawn in items or breaking the progression to get the iron or gold for the AW2 items.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying out this challenge and really like where you can go with it. Was disappointed when I saw that the unofficially official modpack fell through and was wondering if anyone was working on an offically unofficial modpack? If not would anyone be interested in helping out with one? I've currently been spawning in AW2 workers for my immigrants and have some ideas using HQM and possibly Progression to make a structured pack without having to spawn in items or breaking the progression to get the iron or gold for the AW2 items.
I *might* be able to help. I can write some quests, and some minetweaker scripts if need be. You should use github for version control; I think that'd be pretty cool. :)

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I'm not having a lot of luck getting the Progression mod to work the way I think it is supposed to work. I could just be derping it all up though.

If I set a furnace to crafting: false and useable: false, doesn't that mean I can't craft or use the furnace? If so, I can't get that working. In survival, not creative. I'm not THAT braindead. :)

Capt Gates

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not having a lot of luck getting the Progression mod to work the way I think it is supposed to work. I could just be derping it all up though.

If I set a furnace to crafting: false and useable: false, doesn't that mean I can't craft or use the furnace? If so, I can't get that working. In survival, not creative. I'm not THAT braindead. :)

Are you setting the result to 'Crafting' a furnace and not to 'Furnace?'

Edit:
I *might* be able to help. I can write some quests, and some minetweaker scripts if need be. You should use github for version control; I think that'd be pretty cool. :)

I think github would actually be a really good idea, for version control and updating/tweaking configs.

Last edited: