Building a new HQM map: Crash Landings

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
You've managed to crash land on a dry, dusty planet. No water, no food, no real supplies. The first challenge, to survive the blazing heat where every drop of water is precious.

So many modpacks and maps try making gameplay harder by altering hunger. Very few, in fact none I know of, look at Minecraft's other normally abundant resource, water. Well, now here it is the limited resource. Try not to dehydrate.

The modpack is here. For now until I can get it onto the FTB Launcher you need MultiMC or the like. Unzip it into your instance folder and go.

Also, while the map is fully playable, I am still making balance changes and implementing quests. Please feel free to offer suggestions and criticisms. If you think anything needs improving or changing I'll be glad to hear it.

Also, if you can think of any mods that fit my theme that I have not included, let me know.

Xh9C4Zv.png

0Vrz6C5.png

6W1KXmo.png

dbxdBZJ.png
Applied Energistics - AlgorithmX2
Bibliocraft - Nuchaz
Big Reactors - Erogenous Beef
Chisel - Automatic Maiden updated by asie
CoFH Core - Team CoFH
Enviromine - TimbukTato
Ex Aliquo - Zerokyuuni
Ex Nihlo - Erasmus Crowley
Extra Utilities - RWTema
Harvestcraft Waila fixes - squeek502
Hardcore Questing Mode - Vswe, LordDusk, NewcastleGeek
Hunger Overhaul - iguana man
Inventory Tweaks - Kobata
Iron Chests - cpw
LogisticPipes - davboecki, AartBluestoke, ArtForz, GUIpsp, theZorro266
Minefactory Reloaded - powercrystals, skyboy
Minetweaker - StanH
NEI - chicken bones
NEI Addons - bdew
NEI Plugins - mistaqur
Open Blocks - Mikeemoo
Pam's Harvestcraft - MatrexsVigil
Redstone Arsenal Team - CoFH
Simply Jetpacks - tonius11
Sort Fix - Lex Manos
Sync - iChun
Tinker's Construct - mDiyo
Tinker's Mechworks - mDiyo
Tinker's Steelworks - Toops
Thermal Expansion Team - CoFH
TiC Tooltips - squeek502
WAILA - ProfMobius
Zan's Minimap - MamiyaOtaru

Beta 1.0.2
Buckets have been re-added.
A few more quests.
Change to the map. It is a bit less hot, but the environment is now ocean. Feel free to place water source blocks, for all the good it will do.
Also, watch VERY carefully what you are carrying and what you are near. Certain blocks and items might be very hot. Or very cold.
Map is now vanilla Hardcore. You get one life, but remember Sync is available. Making a shell will save your map if you die.
As a note: You will have to re-log after death if you Sync into a new shell. Enviromine doesn't handle that gracefully.

Beta 1.0.1
Buckets have been removed, recipes have been mostly altered to fit.
Certain other recipes have also been altered.
More quests.
Reward Bags have been added. Somewhat. Still a work in progress.

Last edited:

Tornado3019

Jul 29, 2019
It's pretty good, but how do you get a surplus of dirt? You can make 2 dirt, and you can only get more if your lucky enough to get a tree seed, or am I missing something...

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
That is going to be a balance point, I think. In the short term, I will probably add a second barrel and a stone sword. Survive through the night, and you can probably compost another dirt or two.

Long term, HQM rewards will be implemented to help. Although water is never intended to be a common resource.

And not just trees can be composted. A lot of the results from sieving dirt can be ultimately composted. And it isn't like bone meal is a problem with all that dust...

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I do not think Minetweaker can stop the placement of water. It's special. You will probably need a custom mod.

A few mods disable infinite water though, you might be able to find one that is okay to include and does that. It'd solve 70% of your problem.

SkeletonPunk

Jul 29, 2019
Before I start, let me just say this is still in early, early, VERY early Alpha. Ok? Ok.

You've managed to crash land on a dry, dusty planet. No water, no food, no real supplies. The first challenge, to survive the blazing heat where every drop of water is precious.

Currently this map is in Alpha. At the moment, HQM is not set up, the mod list is not final, and I need to do some fairly extensive balancing (and minetweaker evilness) before I'd call it fully playable. And then there is actually constructing spawn itself, which I will need some real help with.

Before I even start, I need to know where things break. I might, just might, have gone a bit too far. Or I might not have gone far enough. To that end, I need a few people to test this thing out and try to abuse things. I need to see the holes that need patching.

If you don't mind rough edges, and want to help out, you can grab it here. This is best used with MultiMC. Just unzip in your instances folder and play the CrashLandings map provided.

A few notes for the testers. I don't need a full playthrough. If you can play for about 15 or 20 minutes, good. Longer, of course, is better. Also, and this is very important, I added a recipe for dirt, 8 bottles of water around dust. And lastly, in the long run I'm going to remove all ability to place water source blocks in the world. There will be NO buckets or what have you. However, Minetweaker is currently giving me a bit of a hassle about that. If you could, DO NOT place water source blocks in the world. I've given you two Aquaeous Accumulators and a Sprinkler to water your crops. That should be enough to get you started.[DOUBLEPOST=1400307463][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and as a note, I'm using Enviromine. You might want to go here and read up on the mod. For reasons that should become readily apparent....
enviromine seems to be a bit buggy with other mods, IE i got heat stroke and frost bite at the same time once using monster and it wouldn't go away... mainly because i walked into a desert with a lava pool wearing iron armor and then walked into an icy tundra and drank a bunch of cold water and took all my armor off...

Tornado3019

Jul 29, 2019
That is going to be a balance point, I think. In the short term, I will probably add a second barrel and a stone sword. Survive through the night, and you can probably compost another dirt or two.

Long term, HQM rewards will be implemented to help. Although water is never intended to be a common resource.

And not just trees can be composted. A lot of the results from sieving dirt can be ultimately composted. And it isn't like bone meal is a problem with all that dust...
I forgot that you could compost bonemeal. Still, saplings are a rare drop from dirt

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
I do not think Minetweaker can stop the placement of water. It's special. You will probably need a custom mod.

A few mods disable infinite water though, you might be able to find one that is okay to include and does that. It'd solve 70% of your problem.
Yeah, unfortunately Finite Water never updated. Nah, I'm going to Minetweaker remove anything that can place water. Yes, including buckets. Yes, I will then have to adjust several recipes. And yes, I am probably certifiably insane.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
I forgot that you could compost bonemeal. Still, saplings are a rare drop from dirt
Compost...bonemeal. Ack. Well, that certainly wasn't intended. Now, how to fix that.

And yeah, this is why I'm getting testers early, to catch this kind of crap.

The point here is that several packs try to make hunger non trivial. And fail, mostly. So, I took a different approach. Make something else that is usually trivial, and center the map around it. The problem I am fighting is preventing infinite springs. There doesn't currently exist a good 1.6 mod that does anything close to that.

Tornado3019

Jul 29, 2019
Compost...bonemeal. Ack. Well, that certainly wasn't intended. Now, how to fix that.

The point here is that several packs try to make hunger non trivial. And fail, mostly. So, I took a different approach. Make something else that is usually trivial, and center the map around it. The problem I am fighting is preventing infinite springs. There doesn't currently exist a good 1.6 mod that does anything close to that.
If you do remove bone meal composting, how would you make dirt? The recipe that you made consumes the bottles.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019

Codechicken core has a config option for disabling infinite water

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Which helps, outside of the fact that filling a bottle from a source block does not consume the source block.

Which means once you get a source block it pretty much trivializes getting water. Not my intention.

As for the consuming the bottle thing. Yeah, Minetweaker limitation. Working on a compromise.

Last edited:

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Working on a few balance changes and implementing a few basic quests. Alpha 0.3 will be released later today

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, unfortunately Finite Water never updated. Nah, I'm going to Minetweaker remove anything that can place water. Yes, including buckets. Yes, I will then have to adjust several recipes. And yes, I am probably certifiably insane.

Far be it from me to discourage you from insanity, but I am 100% confident it'd be easier to find a modder who can help. Drop by #rr on EsperNet and ping staff and we'll see if we can connect you with someone.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Far be it from me to discourage you from insanity, but I am 100% confident it'd be easier to find a modder who can help. Drop by #rr on EsperNet and ping staff and we'll see if we can connect you with someone.

I'm really wanting to do something a bit different. Almost every map and mod pack that does increases the difficulty does it by making food more difficult. Water gets mostly ignored, despite the big role it plays throughout a lot of mod packs. Mostly because how easy it is to trivialize getting it. Two source blocks, boom infinite water from that point on.

Making that decision important... well, we shall see.

I'm still not completely convinced I can pull this off yet. The first thing will be to see if I can make this scenario survivable, then I can see about making it fun.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Update: Alpha 0.3 is available! Check the link in the first post to grab the new version.

HQM is installed and a few, very few, quests are ready to go.
I've tweaked the dirt recipe. You now use a liquid transposer, which I have provided.

Feedback, criticism, and suggestions welcome.
I could also use a skilled builder to create spawn for me.

Thanks!

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Update: Alpha 0.3 is available! Check the link in the first post to grab the new version.

HQM is installed and a few, very few, quests are ready to go.
I've tweaked the dirt recipe. You now use a liquid transposer, which I have provided.

Feedback, criticism, and suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

How did you add a recipe to the Liquid Transposer?

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I am assuming that the spawn will be a spaceship crash site...I may be able to help. I have designed other crashes before so may be able to do this one.
Edit: Also just launched this up for first test run

Last edited: