Buildcraft Changes of Note

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so I am just testing out the Pipe stuff in the current FTB build, and it's not working. Items spill out right away, without trying other paths.

Are you sure that change is in the current build? <_<

Current FTB build? Certainly, otherwise jadedcat would've had a crazy, crazy mess with her impromptu sorting system. Which pipes are you using and what are they connected to? A sctreenshot would be even more illustrative.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
That's not a valid alternate route for this new behavior (routes are calculated per-pipe: it says "I can't go forward and I came from back there, no further routes, poof!"). Run the pipe to the right of the directly connecting one and build your loop that way ("I can't go forward and I came from back there, but there's this one to the right! yay!" or "there's this one to the right, yay!" then become the two behaviors for that pipe, neither one a pop-out).

Reactions: Meldiron

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, okay. I thought it would look at the entire pipe. But I suppose it makes sense since pipes can get arbitrarily long...

I modified it, and it indeed works now.

jessassin

Jul 29, 2019
It works with diamond pipes - if you try to insert an item into an adjacent chest, and that chest happens to be full, it will travel down the next avaliable route. I am pretty sure the same concept can be applied to standard transport pipes as well, but I have not tested it.

egovinco

Oct 18, 2012
Minceraftia
i am a noob and dont want to read everything (sorry!)
so who can i power my quarry with redstone enignes?
i buildt for and everyone conects to the first but this doesnt connect to quarry

sciguyryan

Jul 29, 2019
i am a noob and dont want to read everything (sorry!)
so who can i power my quarry with redstone enignes?
i buildt for and everyone conects to the first but this doesnt connect to quarry

I'm not sure you can power your quarry with redstone engines any more. I think that has been changed/fixed.

NosajDraw

Jul 29, 2019
Redstone engines can still directly power machines, all except Forestry machines which seem to present themselves as pipes and not machines. The Redstone engine nerf has been to prevent redstone engines from powering conductive pipes.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Redstone engines can still power machines directly, but only if that machine has a minimum MJ/t of no more than 1. Because that's what a redstone engine outputs, 1 MJ per stroke, and there are no more pipes to buffer the small amount until it is large enough to pass the minimum thresholds of the bigger machines.

So you can power a pump with directly attached redstone engines, but not a quarry.

grindle2000

Jul 29, 2019
I used to make giant redstone engines to run my quarries just for fun .
Electric_Quarry_motor.png

It can be done but it used to be really expensive and not worth the work required lol.

Reactions: ff255away

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
If you really want to use redstone engine, you can first store some MJ to a Redstone Energy Cell (direct contact) and then use it to power something else..

darR3Ke

Jul 29, 2019
I used to make giant redstone engines to run my quarries just for fun .
Electric_Quarry_motor.png

It can be done but it used to be really expensive and not worth the work required lol.

Except, it doesn't work anymore cause redstone engines dont connect to conductive pipes anymore.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Buildcraft 3.2.1 just hit the presses! With a Changelog (phew!):

SirSengir said:
CHANGELOG

- API: Inventory triggers can now be ISided.
- Changed: Improvements to reduce bandwith used for pipe updates and size of liquid pipe updates.
- Changed: Localization definitions can now inherit from other definition files. (psxlover's PR.)
- Bugfix: Fixed tooltips updating only on click in gate interface.
- Bugfix: Fixed laser placement. (psxlover's PR.)
- Bugfix: Combustion engine, refinery and pump should be able to handle metadata based liquids now. (gishicrafter's PR.)
- Bugfix: Fixed incorrect handling of power providers on quarries. (tcooc's PR.)
- Bugfix: Trees growing should not destroy pipes anymore. (tcooc's PR.)
- Bugfix: Now using Forge autoassign for block and item ids. (AtomicStryker's PR.)
- Bugfix: Fixed issue causing a crash on the refinery gui.

Looks like this patch is largely a quality of life/bugfix patch. Which I am a-okay with. =)

Note: this version is for Minecraft 1.4.5 and thus is not yet included in the Feed The Beast pack. This is for reference and those who continue putting together private packs to play with on the side.

neeneko

Jul 29, 2019
  • Transport Pipe mechanics have been updated; they will now attempt other valid connected routes if a route has become invalid, rather than merely popping out of the pipe and on to the ground (one could call this "semi-Insertion Pipe behavior", for those familiar with the modded Insertion Pipe). This allows for some interesting behavior (see: jadedcat's Factorization barrel sorting system).

I see other people have been playing with this mechanic, so maybe someone can comment on if what I am trying to do even makes sense.

I have only just started trying it out, so perhaps I am missing something. I am trying to use pipes to stock a fermenter and have it set up with a cobblestone pipe connecting to the machine and then an iron pipe providing an alternate route in case of overflow.

It handles the overflow just fine, if the fermenter is full all the items go through the overflow. However when it is not full, the pipe chooses the overflow half the time, so only half the items are getting inserted. I do not want to simply cycle them around since I suspect I will be producing the organic materials faster then it can process so I will have a net overflow.. thus cycling them will eventually just fill up the buffer chest.

Any ideas? Is it even possible to do this without the advanced insertion pipes?

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing off the top of my head without advanced insertion behavior... the pipes still retain their "I have a 50/50 chance of trying a route" when confronted with two possible routes behavior, as you've seen.

I'm not up on the Emerald Pipe implementation to see if maybe something there could be useful (I've been out of the loop since I've been down with a busted arm/shoulder after overzealous cleaning/moving of stuff), but I'm guessing probably not from what I understand of them.

neeneko

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing off the top of my head without advanced insertion behavior... the pipes still retain their "I have a 50/50 chance of trying a route" when confronted with two possible routes behavior, as you've seen.

Ah, that is a pity. I was kinda hopping that with the insertion behavior changes they had also set up some way to stop the 50/50 thing.
I am half tempted to just let things overflow and then use a wooden golem or something to pick things up ^_^

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
A diamond pipe will do it if you configure it correctly.

Have the diamond pipe connect to the fermenter. Place the items you want to keep stocked in the pipe's sorting GUI in the relevant exit. Place no other items in any other exit. Now, provide an alternative route (can be simple cobblestone pipe leading off). What happens is that the diamond pipe will force all items to go into the fermenter, unless the fermenter is full; then the items will travel through the alternate path.

Sadly this only works in this specific configuration, with only a single exit of the diamond pipe having items to sort into; if you have a case where you must specify sorting for multiple exits, you cannot use the diamond pipe as an insertion pipe. But if this is all you need it should work without a hitch.

Reactions: Vauthil