Beekeeping Guide. Yay or nay?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Beekeeping guide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Since you are writing a guide for bees I thought I'd ask.
Until now I've only been breeding the forestry bees to their top tiers I'm almost done and I thought I would try the extra bees a little. I'm working on rocky bees at the moment with 3 soul frames and so far I've gotten 100% mutation + 100% pure every time. Is this normal? I'm set at easy in the config but that never seemed to change the standard bees.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Easy breeding does enhance quite the chances of mutations a bit, but I never saw 100% either.

Maybe you are just very lucky, or you are making offerings to the RNG god daily?

Exasperation

Jul 29, 2019
Who needs a scoop when you can just use a mining laser? :p
Might want to be careful doing this; I was recently messing around with a mining laser, and found a princess in the area I was hollowing out. Not a "rocky princess", just a "princess". So, apparently the mining laser can erase the bee's type? Might be just on explosive mode, I haven't had a chance to do more thorough testing yet.

Edit - did test in creative, and it appears to be just explosive mode; other modes seem safe to use for bees.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Easy breeding does enhance quite the chances of mutations a bit, but I never saw 100% either.

Maybe you are just very lucky, or you are making offerings to the RNG god daily?
I don't know maybe a bug? Like how the forestry trees do not use bonemeal they grow and leave the bonemeal.
It seems like when I breed a common + rocky it goes back to normal as does the resilient + cultivated, but breeding stone + rocky, hardy + stone always yield 100% mutation for some reason.

I forgot about the rocky drone + forest princess always yields 100% commons for me also. I use creative for a lot of little things but honestly this just seems like cheating lmao.

SunnyDaze

Jul 29, 2019
Exedra said:
“The product columns are pretty measly.​
It is, but I didn't do the database. And I don't have access to edit it either so I can't complete it :/ but the Resultant Mutation tab is really the part I was pointing at.

That google docs is mine, linked in my guide. I don't know that I'm keen to open it up for editing (and I'm sort of using it as a checklist lol). I got the mutations in as quick as I could; the rest is scarce because it's a WIP but it will eventually have everything. I didn't link straight to the document because it's a huge spoiler.

About the Soul Frames: The first time I used them I did two pairs in the Nether and had 100% jumps (all 6 offspring) to pure Sinister and then Fiendish. I thought they were the best thing ever. Didn't have the same luck with Demonic, Austere, or Sapphire though.

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
That google docs is mine, linked in my guide. I don't know that I'm keen to open it up for editing (and I'm sort of using it as a checklist lol). I got the mutations in as quick as I could; the rest is scarce because it's a WIP but it will eventually have everything. I didn't link straight to the document because it's a huge spoiler.

About the Soul Frames: The first time I used them I did two pairs in the Nether and had 100% jumps (all 6 offspring) to pure Sinister and then Fiendish. I thought they were the best thing ever. Didn't have the same luck with Demonic, Austere, or Sapphire though.
Great guide, I learned a lot about things that I thought I already knew. I might add that for cloning the acclimatizer really helps.

SunnyDaze

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! And thank you for the tip, I'll keep that in mind -- getting ready to make every machine soon to test out. I'm a little slow at getting to that stuff but I'm excited to explore their capabilities. For some reason, it seems like I spend all my MC-time checking apiaries (go figure!). ;)

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, we need a LOGO. I was thinking a Honeycomb with a forest bee on it, below it saying "Beekeeping Wiki". Anyone who could make this, it will be much appreciaated by me and the team.

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
ghvf2QR.png

How about this?
get it from this website http://imgur.com/ghvf2QR

On a side note, i have never played with bees at all and it is something I want to learn. Could you put in the introduction why someone would benefit from beekeeping before rushing into making scoops and stuff because that is the info I want to know first (I don't know what benefits i get from getting bees).

If you are going to need any help in regards to web creation, i can help as I have experience in HTML Coding and could try and make up a fancy-looking title page for you

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
Is this super ready yet anywhere or no? I want to get started with beekeeping since... we pretty much have everything else done on my server, is there anywhere I could start while waiting for this guide to come together?

zooqooo

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to get started, just start! The first step is just breeding together random bees until you get your first common bees.

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
If you get started on this I'd like to help. Just send me a PM on what I can be doing or for information, etc.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Just because we're nearly done doesn't mean you can see it. We just have 2 pages left

Setari

Jul 29, 2019
Sweet, looking forward to seeing it then. Is the original post just gonna be updated with the link then?