Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

LordSlyFox

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to download binnies core without downloading all the other forestry addons that come with it? I need Binnies Core alone but i can not for the life of me find it without all the others packed in
Since nobody replied heres my little bump

legionite626

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to figure out a way to use my blaze spawner to get treasures from Thaumcraft and then automatically open the bags. My question is: Do draconic evolution stabilized spawners spawn the special mobs from Thaumcraft? Also, what is a good setup for a blaze spawner?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I've been wondering this for a long time. WHY, when Minecraft has constantly improved its loading speed, has FTB only gotten exponentially slower at loading all these mods. I think we're constantly breaking new records, even though our PC components are following Moore's law and are quite easily able to run heavier programs easier than before. I've always liked having a separate server instance running on my PC next to the client, and I was able to type this entire post while my server and client loaded, on a fresh install (pre-launched, even) of one of the larger 1.7.10 mod packs. I think there's no reason for this taking so long except for very bad core structure of mods, but there might be reason there HAVE to be delays so long that I'm simply not aware of. Possibly related to cross-registering blocks and item events? Even on a 4.0 GHz Octa-Core CPU with 16 GB of RAM, a good enough graphics card to run any modern game and FTB launched on a SSD, it takes more than 5 minutes before it's ready to play. I'm sorry, but, this is insane for any game. If every mod author would optimize their mod, would that possibly help? Or will it just stay this slow for the remainder of FTB history until Minecraft starts providing native mod support? (Possibly even beyond that, I fear)

My 'pat' answer to this question is Java. Java and poor coding still left in Minecraft (slowly being exorcised, I hear). There may also be issues with mods, because although there are some professional programmers among the ranks of Mod Devs, not all of them are.

Java has far too much overhead to deal with, which accounts for it's inability to deal with the amounts of Ram available today. It's "Garbage Collection" is atrocious at best. I prefer manual Garbage collection, such as Visual Studios' "Dispose()" command. Put the proper permutation of "Dispose()" as the last instruction executed in the appropriate function and you're covered. Java actually was developed at SUN Microsystems as a scripting language (remember "Javabeans?") before Oracle bought SUN (once my computer of choice). I doubt you will ever see a real Operating System written in Java.

Minecraft has been getting a massive cleanup over the past 2 or 3 major versions... This is helping Mojang by replacing old code with well documented code making maintenance much easier, modifying code to allow new things like account name changes, and implementing new ideas like not having to render blocks you can't see.

Mods I can't speak to directly but being self-taught I know the path I took and how my code became more efficient as I learned.

Finally, there is a lot of work happening in the loader that you can't see... every time you load the game some things can change. If a Mod is added or updated, the entire ID table can change, for example. Since these are all built at load time they all have to be verified at load time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gravious

Niidikene

Jul 29, 2019
I want to get rid of this:
2015-05-31_18.54.08.png

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Whats a good way to get into modding? Like a tutorial online or whatever

Pahimar has a modding tutorial on YouTube, I think. Bacon_Donut has had pack design tutorials there as well.

The easiest way to find them is to search "Modding Minecraft" in YouTube's Search bar... you should get a whole list to pick from.

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
I have a couple of questions regarding forestry trees and butterflies.

Is the only thing you get by 'breeding' trees new textures of wood?

Is the only use of butterflies to help pollinate trees for breeding?

How many butterflies are 'naturally' spawned not bred? - as in meadows and rocky bees are 'natural' and eldritch is bred