Applied Energistics keep x number of item in machine?

dakamojo

Jul 29, 2019
I am using a MFR planter and I want to set my AE network to keep 32 seeds, 32 carrots, and 32 potatoes stocked in it. I can't seem to figure out how to do this. If I use an export buss it will just export all the seeds into the planter which could block the spaces for other items. If I use an me interface, it doesn't actually put the items in the planter, it just holds them in its own inventory. Is there a way to do this with AE?

budge

Jul 29, 2019
Not yet. Do you have Redpower? An interface with seeds, carrots, and potatoes stocked with a manager on the interface and a manager on the planter would do just that.

dakamojo

Jul 29, 2019
Not yet. Do you have Redpower? An interface with seeds, carrots, and potatoes stocked with a manager on the interface and a manager on the planter would do just that.

No RP in my mod pack. Playing on 1.5.2.[DOUBLEPOST=1370016082][/DOUBLEPOST]
I think the ME Interface might be able to achieve what you're lookin for...but, I'm not 100% on that.

That's initially what I thought, but the ME Interface has its own inventory which it keeps stocked. it doesn't appear to put things directly into the machine it is next to. It seems to expect the machine to pull from it, like a boiler can pull from an attached inventory. For the MFR Planter, the items have to bu put in the Planter's inventory.

connerity1

Jul 29, 2019
It's possible with clay golems.

Have an ME interface hold 32 (or 16, golem can't carry more than 16 at a time anyways) of your seeds/crops/etc. in its export field.
Attach the golem to the planter, place a marker block next to the ME interface.
Tell the golem to keep exact amount of items stocked, tell him the color of the marker and you're done.
Use an advanced golem, the normal one can't keep more than 1 type of item stocked.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
That's not what precision BUSs do, basically the precision Import BUS is what the current 1.4.7 Import BUS is now.

The basic Import BUS does not have a GUI and will import any and everything that it's connected to.

A Precision Import BUS has the same GUI and setup and works the same way the 1.4.7 Import BUS does.

The Fuzzy Import BUS is specifically for damaged items where it will ignore NBT data, for things like saws/quartz knifes etc.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
set your export bus to active on redstone signal.
set a level emitter for each thing you want to keep in your network at the desired level and emit when over. Run the redstone signal over to your exporter using rednet cable or point the emitters directly at the exporter. Each emitter can use the same cable by right clicking the little color band on the connected face with a hammer. It doesn't matter where in your network the emitters are located as long as you run the signal over to the exporter.

dakamojo

Jul 29, 2019
set your export bus to active on redstone signal.
set a level emitter for each thing you want to keep in your network at the desired level and emit when over. Run the redstone signal over to your exporter using rednet cable or point the emitters directly at the exporter. Each emitter can use the same cable by right clicking the little color band on the connected face with a hammer. It doesn't matter where in your network the emitters are located as long as you run the signal over to the exporter.

I want the opposite. I want to keep 32 seeds in the MFR Planter (which is not part of the AE network). I want all excess above 32 to go into the AE Chest.[DOUBLEPOST=1370029443][/DOUBLEPOST]
doesnt this mod pack have newer version of AE with precision export bus?

I played with the precision export bus. It appears to work by exporting a list of items in order. It will export 1 seed, then 1 carrot, then 1 potato, then go back to seed. The problem is it won't stop when the attached MFR Planter already has 32 seeds.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
I want the opposite. I want to keep 32 seeds in the MFR Planter (which is not part of the AE network). I want all excess above 32 to go into the AE Chest.[DOUBLEPOST=1370029443][/DOUBLEPOST]

I played with the precision export bus. It appears to work by exporting a list of items in order. It will export 1 seed, then 1 carrot, then 1 potato, then go back to seed. The problem is it won't stop when the attached MFR Planter already has 32 seeds.

hmm okay, well the level emitter won't help you there. If all you're trying to do is prevent the planter from filling up with just one item type, you could use 3 routers to specify an inventory slot to insert into and then export each type to those routers. They'd then fill that slot and only that slot with that item type, but you'd end up filling the given slot to 64 and the router to 64. The rest would stay in the chest until the planter uses some.

I'm having trouble envisioning why you'd only want a half stack. But you could also use good old fashioned vanilla redstone logic to move a precise amount of items around via vanilla hoppers & comparators (look for vanilla store tutorials that accept payment in items of varying or specific amounts). Given that the Planter and Rednet are part of the same mod, you may also want to see what that can do as it looks pretty powerful with respect to the programming.

Grunguk

Jul 29, 2019
Advanced Clay Golems have the functionality that you need; not sure if anything else in the pack does.

Slap the little bugger next to 3 marked chests, seeds/potatoes/carrots and tell him to keep 32 of each in the planter. Job done.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
there is a way to achieve what you want, but you need a separate me network for it.
1 attach storage bus to a planter, and tell it to keep seeds here
2 attach an export bus to a chest(here is where you main network pick up seeds via import bus), and tell it to export seeds into chest when redstone is active.
3 add level emitter to an export bus which would emit signal when there is more than 32 seeds in system
4 repeat for other crops

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, as it seems, (advanced) clay golems and routers are your only option.

Note that the clay golems and router option require 1 per item, whilst the advanced golem will do 3 per golem.

Downside is that the golems require one of the (IMO) most tedious thing to do. Every. Single. World.

Research.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Research isn't that bad if you save it for after you're reasonably well-established. It is resource-intensive, but its got pretty good pay-off, specially when you get to warded blocks and the golems. They may not be the fastest form of automation, but there's something about the adorable little guys I just can't get over.

dakamojo

Jul 29, 2019
there is a way to achieve what you want, but you need a separate me network for it.
1 attach storage bus to a planter, and tell it to keep seeds here
2 attach an export bus to a chest(here is where you main network pick up seeds via import bus), and tell it to export seeds into chest when redstone is active.
3 add level emitter to an export bus which would emit signal when there is more than 32 seeds in system
4 repeat for other crops

Awesome, that sounds like it would work perfectly. I'm gonna try that. Thanks.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Research isn't that bad if you save it for after you're reasonably well-established. It is resource-intensive, but its got pretty good pay-off, specially when you get to warded blocks and the golems. They may not be the fastest form of automation, but there's something about the adorable little guys I just can't get over.

It's not about the price if it, it's the tedium of doing every.
Single.
World.

I once wanted to see how long it would take me to do research - if I spawned in the stuff from NEI.
Still took bloody ages.

Especially due to its "desire sensor" meaning that the one thing you want, usually golems or warded blocks for most people, is the very LAST thing that pops up.
"Hi bro, you wanna make a golem farm?
Naw, here's a bloody theory of everything instead!!!"

Especially that bloody sano aspect.
Hate it so much.
And the Thaumic bees things are cool, but really annoying researches when you just want golems or something.

Reactions: Freakscar

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
If you want to, you could add Logistics Pipes to your modpack. That can hook into your AE system through an ME interface and has a pipe that does exactly what you're asking. But no, I don't think there's a way to do that within AE itself.

Fuzzzie

Jul 29, 2019
A fun way to solve the problem could be to use computercraft with OpenCCsensors to monitor the inventory of the machine and emit a redstone signal when you have the desired amount. Then just connect the redstone signal to an ME Dark Cable and you're set.

Reactions: TaintedHorizon

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
OpenPeripheral would work really well, actually. I'm already using it in my 1.5.2 world. It turns a whole ton of blocks from vanilla and other mods into peripherals that computers can interact with. Plop down a turtle and it can detect the inventory of an adjacent planter and transfer items into it from an ME Interface when needed.

NTaylor

Jul 29, 2019
I have used buildcraft in the past to do something like this. Set up a structure pipe on the planter and put a gate on it and have the gate emit a redstone signal when the planter is empty. Then set up a redstone based circuit so that it pulses 32 times when the planter get emptied and set the export bus to work once per pulse.