Any pixel artist around?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery
Hi everyone!
Even the title being pretty much self-explanatory, I thought I would explain things a bit further:

We, The Phoenix Team, known for creating a few modpacks and mods around these forums, may or may not be on the works for a pretty big project -- which already include a couple of programmers, one concept artist, a few beta testers, and more. However, we're missing a pretty important part of this team: An texture/pixel artist. Initially, I, the current concept artist, was in the charge of creating the textures, however, I came to the conclusion where I'm simply unable to, due to several unimportant reasons.

This where we need your help: If you are interested, and you have any experience with drawing pixel art, please, post a piece of your work here in this thread -- or several works, if you will -- feel free to PM me them, if you so prefer. As this project isn't suppose to be public just yet, further information about it will be given to you once we accept you as part of the team.

There are two more things worth noticing: Firstly, that we are probably going to need a few artists, not only one, or two -- so, feel free to send us your application at any time. And secondly, if you're generally interested on the project, and you feel like you could help, please, feel free to PM me about it.

I think this is it, ultimately, just thanks for your attention and support,
The Phoenix Team.​

C

chbachman

seal-of-approval-meme.jpg

Reactions: Strikingwolf

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery
As suggested by @CyanideX, this is just a bit more info about the project, for those interested:
  • The amount of textures we'll need is pretty absurd, that's why we'll most likely need a big team of artists to deal with all. Honestly, I'm talking 2000+ textures here, maybe more.
  • The textures are going to be around 32~64x. There will be a few exceptions, but not many of them are too complicated.
  • Payment might be involved, thought it won't be promised. More information about this will be given once the artist PMs me.
  • This is a pretty lengthy project as well, if you're interested, there's some pretty big commitment involved.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
While I'm not an artist as such (pretty good at manipulating images, but drawing from scratch? Nahh) I do own some software that can make seamless textures, anything from bricks, organic slime, sci-fi, industrial, etc.

Here are some examples at 64x of using the software combined with manipulating the results
Botania living stone + variations
botania2.jpg

Concrete
concrete.jpg

I've also got some good pics of some retextures using that software for the Crash Landing pack (all the chisel blocks), I'll find those and post them later.

Reactions: Padfoote

ThomazM

Phoenix Team Founder
Jun 11, 2013
The Immortal's Cemetery
While I'm not an artist as such (pretty good at manipulating images, but drawing from scratch? Nahh) I do own some software that can make seamless textures, anything from bricks, organic slime, sci-fi, industrial, etc.

Here are some examples at 64x of using the software combined with manipulating the results
Botania living stone + variations
botania2.jpg

Concrete
concrete.jpg

I've also got some good pics of some retextures using that software for the Crash Landing pack (all the chisel blocks), I'll find those and post them later.

We are going to need someone to make tiles, so, that could work. Though the feeling we're going for here is not realism -- think old Zelda games, or Terraria. If you are interested and think you can do that type of style, I'm more than happy to start working the details with you.

Reactions: Qazplm601

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
We are going to need someone to make tiles, so, that could work. Though the feeling we're going for here is not realism -- think old Zelda games, or Terraria. If you are interested and think you can do that type of style, I'm more than happy to start working the details with you.
As promised, from Crash Landing:
Chisel1.jpg

Chisel2.jpg

Chisel3.jpg
Pretty much all the chisel based textures have been generated via that software, then tweaked.

If you can post (or PM) some examples of the style you are after, I'll see if the software can replicate it. If it can, then it'll be very useful for seamless textures.

Plainy

Jul 29, 2019
Still learning texturing in MC but if I can assist check the two links in my sig

Send using magic that is TapaTalk

Reactions: chbachman

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
I can't commit to it, but 32~64x textures as default seems too high, unless it's hybrid texturing like Unity. They are slower, and look out of place.