Additional buildcraft objects

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Aegis_Lord

Jul 29, 2019
I miss using insertion pipes, advanced extraction, and similar. Could this mod be add to your various ftb mod packs?

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I miss using insertion pipes, advanced extraction, and similar. Could this mod be add to your various ftb mod packs?
Is it updated yet? I plan to add it myself regardless unless the mindcrackers add it to their pack. it simplifies life quite a bit. especially the valve pipe is really useful.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I must be thinking of Additional Pipes, then.

Some BC add-on with "additional" in its name's still for 1.2.5.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Valve and Industrial Liquid Pipe aren't as important anymore, not with Liquiduct Pipes around. They really take a lot of the sting out of steam transportation. They can even be configured to run parallel without connecting.

I am missing the Insertion Pipe, though.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Valve and Industrial Liquid Pipe aren't as important anymore, not with Liquiduct Pipes around. They really take a lot of the sting out of steam transportation. They can even be configured to run parallel without connecting.

Having the functionality is nice and all, but I don't like the way these features are implemented with the liquiduct. The thing about the valve pipe, was that is acted like it's namesake, namely as a valve, allowing a signal to turn on or off the flow from whatever item it was attached to. It also had a unique texture, that allowed you to see at a glance that it was a valve pipe fitted, and not some other pipe.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, if you check the last posts on the Minecraft forums there is a third party update to Additional Buildcraft Objects which brings it up to date to 1.4.6. (this post: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...uildcraft-objects/page__st__680#entry19912293)

I looked through the changes he made in the code on GitHub and they're really minor. He basically moved a few lines (loading stuff in a slightly different order) and adjusted something the apparently got renamed in Forge. So unless the original author plans to add anything else I doubt he'll do much different than the third party did.

The only issue I see is that there is the issue of copyright, but I doubt that'll give any serious trouble (on GitHub I saw that specific third party apparently also did some modifications in the past, which I assume the author was fine with).

Edit:

Having the functionality is nice and all, but I don't like the way these features are implemented with the liquiduct. The thing about the valve pipe, was that is acted like it's namesake, namely as a valve, allowing a signal to turn on or off the flow from whatever item it was attached to. It also had a unique texture, that allowed you to see at a glance that it was a valve pipe fitted, and not some other pipe.

Have you even tried Liquiducts yet? Because they have valve functionality which can be controlled with redstone... Also every connection a Liquiduct makes with a machine is automatically turned into a valve, so you never have to look, you know it's there. Unless I'm missing something, Liquiducts are better than Valves + industrial pipes because they pretty much are those 2 in 1.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Liquiducts can be used to behave like that. They can't do that mid-pipe by themselves, but can prevent flow mid-pipe when used in combination with other Waterproof Pipes, such as Golden Waterproof Pipe.

Ah, but wait... I don't think the mode can be switched with a Redstone signal. That takes wrenching it.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, if you check the last posts on the Minecraft forums there is a third party update to Additional Buildcraft Objects which brings it up to date to 1.4.6. (this post: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...uildcraft-objects/page__st__680#entry19912293)

I looked through the changes he made in the code on GitHub and they're really minor. He basically moved a few lines (loading stuff in a slightly different order) and adjusted something the apparently got renamed in Forge. So unless the original author plans to add anything else I doubt he'll do much different than the third party did.

The only issue I see is that there is the issue of copyright, but I doubt that'll give any serious trouble (on GitHub I saw that specific third party apparently also did some modifications in the past, which I assume the author was fine with).

Edit:

Have you even tried Liquiducts yet? Because they have valve functionality which can be controlled with redstone... Also every connection a Liquiduct makes with a machine is automatically turned into a valve, so you never have to look, you know it's there. Unless I'm missing something, Liquiducts are better than Valves + industrial pipes because they pretty much are those 2 in 1.

Having more than one function in the same item is not always better. It's a preference thing. I strongly prefer to have full control over what type of functionality goes where. also it's about looks/feel. a valve is something you place as part of a plan. not something a pipe just does on it's own automatically. I wasn't complaining about the functionality. i was disliking how it was implemented. (I don't like items that does everything for me without me having to think about it)

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
Having more than one function in the same item is not always better. It's a preference thing. I strongly prefer to have full control over what type of functionality goes where. also it's about looks/feel. a valve is something you place as part of a plan. not something a pipe just does on it's own automatically. I wasn't complaining about the functionality. i was disliking how it was implemented. (I don't like items that does everything for me without me having to think about it)

Well if it's a matter of taste there isn't much to discuss about and I apologize for that.

For the time being it's the closest thing we have to a pipe with valves though and I think it's still a big improvement over the default waterproof pipes without valves and stuff.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019

If you know which items you'll be inserting, you can set up a Diamond Pipe to behave like an Insertion Pipe. Set the direction to a machine to accept the valid items. Set the inbound direction (where items will be coming from) to a "blocker" item - some random item you know will never pass through the system. Leave the outbound direction (where you want items to go if they can't fit in the machine) empty. This pipe will try to insert items into the machine, as it always prefers a direction with a specified item over a blank direction. If the item doesn't fit, it will bounce back. Since it can't go in the blocked direction, the only other valid choice is the outbound direction.

This works when you know which items will go in the machine, and can put them in the diamond pipe. It won't work, for example, for "all valid inputs to a furnace", as there's simply more of them than slots in a diamond pipe.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
If you know which items you'll be inserting, you can set up a Diamond Pipe to behave like an Insertion Pipe. Set the direction to a machine to accept the valid items. Set the inbound direction (where items will be coming from) to a "blocker" item - some random item you know will never pass through the system. Leave the outbound direction (where you want items to go if they can't fit in the machine) empty. This pipe will try to insert items into the machine, as it always prefers a direction with a specified item over a blank direction. If the item doesn't fit, it will bounce back. Since it can't go in the blocked direction, the only other valid choice is the outbound direction.

This works when you know which items will go in the machine, and can put them in the diamond pipe. It won't work, for example, for "all valid inputs to a furnace", as there's simply more of them than slots in a diamond pipe.
I'd prefer not needing to spend diamonds just to get things to go in an inventory first.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019

This method randomly drops items every now and then as well. luckily we have redpower tubes now, and they never drop items. but yeah. insertion pipes would have been nice to have when setting up treefarms and such since the diamond pipe is a bit too expensive for that use. (altho the Logistics pipes did cost that much, but worked even better than the insertion pipes).

In my current builds i use a diamond pipe for the seed/sapling splitting, then have the output side go straight into a relay for further transport trough tubes. it feels a bit more cumbersome than having logistics pipes, but at least it's better than straight up buildcraft pipes. (altho i could do that and interface it trough a sorter chest. I also like to use barrels a lot in these builds to act as buffers. I'm currently working on a system to turn fabrication lines on and off depending on demand, but that would require counting the number of items sitting in a buffer barrrel/chest in order to test wither there was a need to craft more of an item or not. I guess i could do that manually for a while tho. a full barrel of humus is bound to last a good long while.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
This method randomly drops items every now and then as well. luckily we have redpower tubes now, and they never drop items. but yeah. insertion pipes would have been nice to have when setting up treefarms and such since the diamond pipe is a bit too expensive for that use. (altho the Logistics pipes did cost that much, but worked even better than the insertion pipes).

In my current builds i use a diamond pipe for the seed/sapling splitting, then have the output side go straight into a relay for further transport trough tubes. it feels a bit more cumbersome than having logistics pipes, but at least it's better than straight up buildcraft pipes. (altho i could do that and interface it trough a sorter chest. I also like to use barrels a lot in these builds to act as buffers. I'm currently working on a system to turn fabrication lines on and off depending on demand, but that would require counting the number of items sitting in a buffer barrrel/chest in order to test wither there was a need to craft more of an item or not. I guess i could do that manually for a while tho. a full barrel of humus is bound to last a good long while.

I've also been working on a "supply and demand" system today for Bog Earth production. What I came up with is basically a compact cluster of machines and stuck to a single RP2 buffer. When the buffer is full the machines will produce till their inventory is full and then they'll basically shut down because their produce can't go anywhere. For the IC2 machines I had to use a Transposer with a Timer to suck out the items, but that won't drop items if the buffer is full (unlike a BC wooden pipe + redstone engine would...). The TE machines I used automatically put their items into the buffer if there's room, they don't need other machines to make items out of them.

For machines that are further apart the idea is to just pump items into an RP2 pipe and that'll simply shut down when there is no room in the network for things to go and I'll have a similar setup where items are fed directly into a buffer which will simply jam the machines to stop it. Sorting machines and regulators can add more control to the flow of items, for example by placing a Regulator at the receiving production line and have it send redstone pulses along redstone pipes to Sorting machines that send packets of items when they receive a pulse. That way you never have stray items clogging up pipes and stuff because the next batch of resources will only get sent when the first is complete.

BC Gates or RP2 Managers will solve these issues pretty easily as well, but they're kinda expensive for a system you just don't want to leak and stop producing when there is no demand for an item.

Jeff Fisher

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using, AdditionalPipes-2.1.3u37-1.4.6

It has been working great Its not an official release but I"ve been using it since the mindcrack pack came out with any issues. I mainy use it for the phased pipes and insertion pipes. WIth tesseracts now I can use them instead of phased pipes but the insertion pipes are very important to alot of my builds.