32x Faithful 32x32 Pack

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
@DZCreeper

Just curious: You were proposing a while back about integrating most ore and metal textures into a common look and feel (IIRC, I said TE3 has the best overall contrast/looks ratio amongst the existing ores). What happened to that proposal?

Also, do you think it might be possible to substitute the defscape font into the vattic pack? If not, fine.

I still have plans to get that done and offer it as an optional download, but it will have to wait until Monday when I get back from vacation. As for the defscape font, I will also compare that when I get back.

Reactions: AlCapella

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I still have plans to get that done and offer it as an optional download, but it will have to wait until Monday when I get back from vacation. As for the defscape font, I will also compare that when I get back.

Thanks. Enjoy your vacation, all the while that it lasts! :)

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Just got back, but won't be starting work on the pack again until tomorrow.

Before I fall asleep I compared the Defscape font to what is currently in Faithful32 and I have decided it won't be included for the following reasons:

Faithful currently has unicode support while Defscape doesn't. If I switched over our non English users would have a slightly poorer experience.

Defscape is somewhat odd compared to vanilla, the font is slightly gray.

I would have to get permission from the author, which at this point doesn't seem worth it considering our current font works okay.

Thanks for your patience everyone, I know there is still a lot of work to do.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Not going to point fingers, because I probably made some of it, but I scanned my Faithful working folder and found almost a dozen uncompressed 1MB files. Sounds like nothing right? Wrong, I compressed those down like the rest of the pack. Just shaved off 1/7th of the total download size.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
@DZCreeper
Thanks for posting that clarification on defscape vs. faithful fonts. As someone from a unicode font country, unicode support is too very important to me, and always triumphs over other requirements.

Meanwhile, totally totally basic question, how does one ever start with textures? Can anyone post a good (video) tutorial or something on this? Is Paint.NET enough for this kind of work? My search-fu yielded worse than pedestrian results on this topic.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
@DZCreeper
Thanks for posting that clarification on defscape vs. faithful fonts. As someone from a unicode font country, unicode support is too very important to me, and always triumphs over other requirements.

Meanwhile, totally totally basic question, how does one ever start with textures? Can anyone post a good (video) tutorial or something on this? Is Paint.NET enough for this kind of work? My search-fu yielded worse than pedestrian results on this topic.
All mine are done with Paint.NET. That said, I did have several years of experience with texture work (also Paint.NET) prior to making my texture pack.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019

Honestly you can use whatever you are comfortable with. Like Reika I use Paint.NET and had experience but its not hard at all to start working if you have any experience with Photoshop or Gimp.

For the basic work you will need to know how to resize, manipulate selections, select colors, and how to recolor. For the more advanced stuff you will need to manipulate layers, use gradients, and some experimentation with filters would be good.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. I suppose I could make a video on the subject this week as well.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose I could make a video on the subject this week as well.

I have rolled with Paint.NET for some time now, although not for texturing work, and having seen what it can do in general is why I asked if it would be sufficient for texturing purposes. :)

To make life easy, I would request that you make that video by taking a regular 8-bit texture from MC or from a mod, and convert it into what we see and enjoy in this pack. If you keep a commentary going, or annotate the main things one would do at various stages in the video, it would greatly focus the thinking process and help out in further discussions.

If you have links to existing good tutorials that are related to this area, posting those too would help.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
To make life easy, I would request that you make that video by taking a regular 8-bit texture from MC or from a mod, and convert it into what we see and enjoy in this pack. If you keep a commentary going, or annotate the main things one would do at various stages in the video, it would greatly focus the thinking process and help out in further discussions.

If you have links to existing good tutorials that are related to this area, posting those too would help.

Sorry I haven't had time to do the tutorials yet, been busy with work. Going camping for a few days, when I get back I am going to finish them.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Once again, sorry about the lack of tutorial. First my motherboard failed so I had to wait for that to be replaced, and now my internet connection is bad I have been resorting to tethering to my cellphone. Upon closer inspection, the wireless bridge on my roof was hit with golf ball sized hail.

Got some good news though! Did quite a bit of the Blood Magic blocks and redid the Thermal Expansion ores to be more Faithful.

AlCapella

Jul 29, 2019
Once again, sorry about the lack of tutorial. First my motherboard failed so I had to wait for that to be replaced, and now my internet connection is bad I have been resorting to tethering to my cellphone. Upon closer inspection, the wireless bridge on my roof was hit with golf ball sized hail.

Got some good news though! Did quite a bit of the Blood Magic blocks and redid the Thermal Expansion ores to be more Faithful.

I posted this on another thread by mistake....

Hello DeeZed!
Thanks for starting something about texturing to begin with. So, I also wasn't really online last month because, the glitch on my card became overwhelmingly bad, and the machine was taken back by my dealer to debug and fix the issue.

Back on my old machine and it's not very gaming conducive anymore, by the looks of it. So the wait for a fixed PC is on ;)

This is a good heads up tutorial. Now, please make that short tutorial on fundamentals of texturing as well, "when you can".

P.S: Camping trip went well, I hope?

Antaioz

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I got bored for a while, and remembered that the current faithful chisel cobblestone textures bug me a bit.
Basically they're beveled brick patterns overlayed over the standard faithful cobblestone texture, and they look off, to me anyway.

So I figured, what the hell, I'll give it a go - these things don't usually end well.

But I think this one did.
What do you guys think, this is just the cobblestone brick texture for chisel - should I see if I can 'update' all the others? Or do you all like your chisel cobblestone?
Show&Tell.png

Reactions: Dyre and AlCapella