[1.7.10][Thaumcraft Addon] Witching Gadgets

BluSunrize

Jul 29, 2019
6PgWhgG.png

Greetings, fellow Thaumaturge!
Welcome to WitchingGadgets, an addon for Thaumcraft 4.

This is a mod I have been working on since Thaumcraft was in 1.6.4 and I have finally moved to a stage at which I'm comfortable with releasing it. So now you get to play with it and find all the bugs I probably overlooked! :D
Unlike some more specifically themed addons, Witching Gadgets aims to be for one a more general expansion to Thaumcraft as well as a crossover mod between Thaumcraft and various others! This means that with my content I tried to stay as much "in-feel" with Thaumcraft's original design while still adding my own touch (like terrible puns and references in the texts). And because I'm a fan of combining mods for best effect, I added a lot of cross-mod support for Tinker's Construct, Botania, Railcraft and the likes.

I will not spoil the entirety of my content here, since the Thaumonomicon exists for a reason, but I'll give you guys a teaser =P

Original Content
The original, Thaumcraft-inspired content of this mod is meant to be played alongside the main mod, so it ranges through all tech tiers.
For example, we have the Thaumic Stone Extruder, which is basically just a magical cobblegen...because really no magic mod adds one. x3
Or the Essentia Pump, which allows you to draw Essentia from a mirror and insert it back into a tube system!
Or maybe something more advanced, like the Arcane Terrestrial Reformer, which allows you to change the biome around you to six basic environments, by use of Essentia and Terra Vis!
qxT1UEj.jpg

Or, my personal favourites of original content: My custom Baubles. I have written an "extension" of Baubles already, Traveller's Gear, and this mod now actually makes use of its slots! It add 4 magically enhanced cloaks, 2 pauldrons and 2 vambraces, and a ring, each of them with effects not so commonly seen in other mods, like knockback resistance, fast ladder-climbing or a fortune+looting improvement!

eeoEPJF.jpg

Lastly I'd like to present a simple, but quite useful addition to the Thaumonomicon:
OYqSUOZ.jpg

A search bar! You can now search for researches, and it will even find them based on the recipe outputs the research contains!

Cross-Mod Compatibility
As stated before, I like to combine mods to get the best effects of both. As such, I added a bunch of cross-mod interaction between this and other mods. This ranges from basic (by by today's standards obligatory) OreDictionary use to more advanced stuff.
My personal favourite however is the Infernal Blast Furnace:
Gwlwgw1.jpg

This artistic masterpiece was designed by Mr. Damien Hazard, the artist also responsible for Thaumcraft's Crimson Cultists as well as the Fortress Armor and many others. He designed his thing on a whim and I decided to implement it for him!
This thing will smelt iron into steel, but it will do so like an Infernal Furnace would, using magical energies like Essentia and Vis. It can also accept bellows to run faster. Further more it will be able to smelt Thaumcraft's Native Clusters into whopping three ingots!
It also has full NEI and Minetweaker support. =3

Talking about native Clusters, this mod adds quite a few! And it builds them dynamically, based on the ore dictionary. This means that it will analyse the ore-texture and create the cluster accordingly:
LzAqdRj.jpg

As you can see, it event differentiates Stone-,Netherrack- and Endstone-based ores.
It supports all TCon ores, Metallurgy 4, Nickel (Ferrous) and Dark Iron from Factorization!
Oh, they can also smelt into 3 ingots in a TCon Smeltery. That amount is configurable =P

Lastly, one of the features I sank quite a bit of time into: Forge Multiparts. Thaumcraft's Essentia Tubes now work as Multiparts and can be covered and jacketed! They still work the same, except for the fact that depending on the covers used, they will not connect!
TcjuJ3A.jpg

Oh, also, if you've played with Botania's new cosmetic additions, like the tiny potato mask or the bowtie: You can add those to any of my baubles, as well as all Traveller's Gear items =3

Minetweaker and NEI
This mod includes native support for NEI and Minetweaker. To be entirely honest, you guys have Inap/Yulife to thank for that. He constantly badgered me about it and I gave in at the end... And I'm kinda glad I did too ^^
For full documentation of the Minetweaker Module, see his documentation of it.
The NEI part is pretty much self-explanatory, both the Spinning Wheel and the Infernal Blast Furnace will list their recipes in NEI when checking recipe or usage of an item.

A Coremod?!
Yes, this mod includes a coremod. This means that it modifies some existing code of Minecraft and Thaumcraft. I realize that this may be frowned upon, so let me assure you: Every coremodded feature can be turned off in the config.

The specific changes are as follows:
1) Boots of the Traveller were 'hacked' in order to make them repairable with leather. This is a fix I included because I felt it necessary. I have talked to Azanor and he agreed that the lack of repairability was an oversight, however, he does not intend to fix it anymore.
2) Focus Pouch. The Focus Pouch is an incredibly useful item, weren't it for the fact that you can't open it while wearing it in the belt slot. To fix this, I have induced my own interface, IActiveAbility from Traveller's Gear, into the pouch. This means that while it's in your belt slot, you can access it by using the active ability menu of TG. The default hotkey is 'R'.
3) Minecraft's Enchantment system. I have modified the Enchantment system by injecting two of my methods which allow me to modify the result of Fortune and Looting calculations on items. This is required by my Ring of the covetous coin, because it increases your luck. Disabling this feature makes the ring useless.
4) Minecraft's/Thaumcraft's Potion system. This mod includes a specific piece of armor designed to lessen warp-induced potion effects. As such, it "catches" the effect as it's applied and reduces its level and duration. Disabling this in the config makes that armor piece essentially worthless.

DOWNLOAD
Get it from Curse!
http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/228268-witching-gadgets

IMPORTANT:
This mod requires Thaumcraft to be installed (duh) and also relies heavily of Traveller's Gear. Get it here!
Certain crossover-content obviously requires the other mods.

F.A.Q.
Q.: Can I use this in a modpack?
A.: Yes! Absolutely! Please do! As long as you don't monetize my content, because that's kinda illegal ;D

Q.: Why do you add clusters? AOBD does that already!
A.: Honestly, I started making my own clusters and their dynamic texturing system before I knew AOBD existed. And because I sunk so much time and effort into it, I decided to leave it in.

Q.: Why don't you add compatibility for Witchery's spinning wheel?
A.: Because there is no real API for it and I can't be bothered.

Q.: Can you add [blank].
A.: Maybe. If it fits the style, is reasonably balanced and doable in code, I'd be happy to consider any additions.

Q.: I'm crashing and it's your fault! D:
A.: First off: Crashlog or it didn't happen. I can't help you unless I have a log to work with.
Secondly: There is a bug related to nugget transmutations. If you get an error called "Stack Overflow", go into the WitchingGadgets config and disable those transmutations, that should fix it. I'd also recommend trying that first before filing a crashreport, since that's literally 90% of the errors I get ^^
Thirdly: there is also a crash related to Botania. If you do not yet have the Botania version that adds cosmetic baubles, you'll have to update to that.

License and all that fun stuff:
The mod is open source and can be found on Github: https://github.com/BluSunrize/WitchingGadgets/
Feel free to look at my code, and even take parts of it, but please follow Wheaton's Law and "Don't be a douche". If you use my code, be so kind and tell people where you got it
Minecraft belongs to Mojang (or Microsoft, I guess), I claim no rights to it, blah, blah
Thaumcraft is intelectual property of Azanor
The base of my networking code was made by the development team "SlimeKnights" of Tinker's Construct

Credits and special thanks
The Slime Knights of Tinker's Construct for their Packet System
SpitefulFox for the Fake-Researches used to integrate this mod with existing TC research
OndraSter for teaching me how to setup a coremod, how to use ASM and how to not fail at java bytecode
Damien Hazard for the idea and amazing texture of the Infernal Blast Furnace
Lorc and the other contributors at game-icons.net for the icons I used for my infusion enchantments and potion effects
iChun for Tabula, the ingame modeling system used to create my armorset

Lastly, very special thanks to "The Skype Guys" and all the inhabitants of #kihira on IRC. You guys gave me so many crazy ideas, criticism and proofread a ton of Thaumonomicon entries! :D

Enjoy!

Last edited:

InfinityRaider

Jul 29, 2019
This looks very promising, even if only for the FMP support i'd throw it in my pack. however the other features seem very good as well. Good work.

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
This would be an awesome addition to my mod pack I am working on :3 Adding it to my pack after school :3 Awesome mod~

Wraithflay

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, let's go over this in order of my thought process.

1 - Oh, another Thaumcraft addon mod. Meeeeeeh. I guess I'll give it a look just so I can be snooty about it later if someone ever mentions it.
2 - A cobblegen in a magic pack? That's new. Nice to see too.
3 - OreDictionary native clusters huh? That's been needed for a while, though I don't use many mod-ores.
4 - Wait, pauldrons and cloaks? I vaguely remember Traveler's Gear, though I never did get to try it... and it's functional now too? Well...
5 - ...shit. I actually kind of want this now. DAMN YOU MOD AUTHOR.

It's not supposed to go that way, you know. This is entirely unreasonable, how can I be expected to be INTERESTED in things and get on in life? Honestly! On a related note, would this interfere with Mine and Blade 2: Battlegear or anything else of that nature? I already have three inventories to manage technically with vanilla, baubles, and battlegear, so I'm a bit curious if there's any conflicts between 'em. Failing that, I'm mighty curious if this is stable enough to test out on my current pack-test world!

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Congratulations sir, I have your first major bug report. I cannot get a world to start with this mod installed. Here is the relevant log: http://paste.ee/p/iwKc6

Note that it isn't crashing, but every time I try to load up or create a world with this mod installed (this is Infinity with a few mods added and updated) I get a very odd error and it boots me back to the main menu.

EDIT: This is thought to have been caused by MFR, although this is not yet confirmed, so this is just a warning to others.

EDIT 2: Ok, neither dev has a clue what is causing it. I have found a mystery. Neat!

Last edited:

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, this is probably going in Regrowth. My only concern however, is how does that search box handle there being enough tabs that there are some on that side?

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
looks pretty sweet. Unfortunately I ma unable to launch when i add it to the Infinity pack w/ Iguana's Tweaks added. I'm using Travellers Gear 1.15.5 and WitchingGadgets 1.0.1 and am getting this crash on attempted launch. Any suggestions?

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
looks pretty sweet. Unfortunately I ma unable to launch when i add it to the Infinity pack w/ Iguana's Tweaks added. I'm using Travellers Gear 1.15.5 and WitchingGadgets 1.0.1 and am getting this crash on attempted launch. Any suggestions?
I don't even need to look at that to tell you the answer, but the problem is 2 fold. The crash is caused by an out of date Botania, as TG requires a newer build. But once you do that there will be a new issue (the one I reported) that prevents you from opening worlds. The cause of this is not known, although it is SOME weird interaction between WG and MFR, and neither dev has a clue how to fix it.

BluSunrize

Jul 29, 2019
Congratulations sir, I have your first major bug report. I cannot get a world to start with this mod installed. Here is the relevant log: http://paste.ee/p/iwKc6

Note that it isn't crashing, but every time I try to load up or create a world with this mod installed (this is Infinity with a few mods added and updated) I get a very odd error and it boots me back to the main menu.

EDIT: This is thought to have been caused by MFR, although this is not yet confirmed, so this is just a warning to others.

EDIT 2: Ok, neither dev has a clue what is causing it. I have found a mystery. Neat!

Yeah, I've talked to skyboy, he has no idea what's causing it and neither have I. I'll keep investigating it, but I can't promise a solution ^^"

Yup, this is probably going in Regrowth. My only concern however, is how does that search box handle there being enough tabs that there are some on that side?
Why it offsets the search results by some pixels of course. Did you seriously think I'd make such a blatant oversight? I make ffr more blatant ones! :D

Update Botania. I cannot check the API version you are running, so both TG and WG assume you have the Botania with attachable cosmetics. Sadly there is no way for me to go around that afaik.

Reactions: thephoenixlodge

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I've talked to skyboy, he has no idea what's causing it and neither have I. I'll keep investigating it, but I can't promise a solution ^^"

Why it offsets the search results by some pixels of course. Did you seriously think I'd make such a blatant oversight? I make ffr more blatant ones! :D

Update Botania. I cannot check the API version you are running, so both TG and WG assume you have the Botania with attachable cosmetics. Sadly there is no way for me to go around that afaik.
Thnkas, I did. Now just waiting to be able to open worlds with WG installed.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Well, damn, this looks pretty cool! Is there any chance you'd be able to add compatibility for ReactorCraft's cadmium and (most especially) indium? I ask because indium is exceedingly rare, so being able to get a little extra bang for my buck in a magic mod would be nice.

(For reference, I had to use a maxed out digiminer in at least a dozen different locations, combined with Mek ore tripling, to get enough indium to make a small fission reactor.)

BluSunrize

Jul 29, 2019
Version 1.0.7!
1.0.6 kinda broke on curse because I uploaded an invalid archive, so here's a changelog for both versions together:

- fixed removal recipe for cosmetic baubles (yeah, they kinda crashed otherwise...woops.)
- fixed essentia vial not getting consumed when cutting gems
- fixed correct brilliance+brittle modifiers being applied to gems
- gems can no longer be enchanted, the enchant now comes with the cutting
- coremodded Thaumcraft to make its Worldgen configurable (this was requested by thephoenixlodge of the Regrowth modpack, to allow the configuration of Eldritch Obelisk spawns)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Now that's what I call a Thuamcraft addon. Not only more new toys to play with, but enchancements to the existing content too!

Out of interest, how does the dynamic ore clusters generate textures if using a texture pack? I'm assuming using default textures you must analyse specific pixels in order to get the colour scheme, which would mean with textures that are quite different from minecraft (and high res textures), you'll get some really odd native cluster texture images being generated.

BluSunrize

Jul 29, 2019
Now that's what I call a Thuamcraft addon. Not only more new toys to play with, but enchancements to the existing content too!

Out of interest, how does the dynamic ore clusters generate textures if using a texture pack? I'm assuming using default textures you must analyse specific pixels in order to get the colour scheme, which would mean with textures that are quite different from minecraft (and high res textures), you'll get some really odd native cluster texture images being generated.
Quite simple: It uses the texture of the ingot rather than the ore, and it gets the "average" colour ^^
I love to see people getting interested in the technicalities of these features though :D

Subbed, will DL when the MFR crash is sorted;)
Or you could just disable the nugget transmutations in the config file which eliminates the MFR crash, since there is no real other way to fix it anyway =P

Reactions: Golrith