[1.6.4] [Public Pack] Magic Farm : Adventures in Technology {Tech} {RPG}

Discussion in 'Public Packs' started by Jadedcat, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Jadedcat

Jadedcat Global Moderator and Modpack Creator Team Member Global Moderator

Magic Farm Modpack

Wooden tools? ... hahahaha ... no

Irc channel : esper.net #magicfarm

Short Description: Think "Don't Starve combined with TerraFirmaCraft like changes and a tiered tech system"

My thoughts : Think of magic farm as an RPG. You can choose to go straight tech with TE,MFR etc or straight mage with TC and TT or you can be a technomancer by combining them all. Magic Farm isn't a race to the top of the automation pyramid its a vicious battle to survival and sustainability. It could be harder but I do not feel like making it impossible. I do not want armor types that make you near invulnerable. I want to fight to carve out a settlement in the midst of a world that wants me dead. If thats not what you want please play a different pack.

Modpack motto -- Putting the survival back in minecraft

Important note in 1.6 - flint can be crafted from 4 gravel in any pattern other then square

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101137403/2013-12-13_16.38.29.png
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101137403/2013-12-13_16.38.34.png
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101137403/2013-12-13_16.38.37.png

a square of 4 gravel makes gravel bricks.

List of what the default BoP Biomes count as for seed growth.

Getting started Guide

Magic Farm Tool Levels

Magic Farm Starting Guide

Tutorial on Thaumic Tinkerer

Tutorial on Tinker Construct Tweeks

Magic Farm isn't aimed at replacing any other modpack. It is about a different way of playing. If you are looking for a pure tech or magic pack there are plenty of those and this pack will probably not fit you. I designed this pack with a couple ideas in mind.

1. Having 6 ways to duplicate ores (or any other mechanic) all at the same basic tech tier is a false choice and just bogs down the game with multiple mods doing the same thing.

2. Staying in one spot and not moving bores me. However I need a reason to explore something I can't get standing still.

3. I wanted a pack that slows me down a bit but doesn't do it in a way that feels like punishment.

Google Spreadsheet of Mods and Permissions

Tech Support:

1. Launcher Bugs : Difficulty downloading etc go to FTB Tech Support

2. Mod Bugs : http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/magic-farm-1-6-4-bug-reports-public-beta.35243/

3. If you install any mods not included in the pack, I will probably not help you.

Youtube Channels with Magic Farm videos

1.6 Videos:

Show Spoiler

1.5 Videos

Public Servers

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    Arjjck, RealSketch, xbony2 and 6 others like this.
  2. Jadedcat

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
    ReallyBoredGamer and 3ma86 like this.
  3. Jadedcat

Major changes to the default configs

Show Spoiler

MFR-

- Laser Drill has been adjusted to cost less energy. This is the quarry replacement in this pack.
    - Breeders will turn off once 20 adult animals are in their range of operation. This is to prevent lag from overbreeding.
    - Syringes cannot be used to inject players

Extra Utilities --

No peaceful table.. no no and no.
    Conveyers are off use the MFR ones
    Spikes are off
    Transport nodes are off use item ducts
    Wateringcan is off

Open Blocks

- Sprinkler range is increased to 8

Core Chicken --

Creeper griefing is off. They can still kill you.

Vanilla Changes :

- Vanilla picks have the mining ability of wood. They are only in the pack for recipes that require them.

- Fancy Fences changes the fence recipe

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  4. Jadedcat

Now open for comments. Constructive comments are welcome. Asking why I picked specific mods, or why I didn't use other mods or why I didn't remove a specific item is not helpful.

Additional Challenge Ideas if you find it too easy or just want a more difficult playtime:

1.5 Challenges:
    Show Spoiler

• Remove the fishnet mod
    • Remove the growthcraft apple mod
    • Turn off Villages
    • Never use a Quarry or Chunkloader
    • Play it Vegan style, no meat no eggs allowed in your meals
    • Automate the production of every food item
    • Make a restaurant with golem waiters
    • Food Museum -- 1 of every food bearing, plant (extra trees included) and 1 of each food type in item frames.
    • Try throwing in IguanaMan's Vanilla tweeks it adds some more difficulty.
    1.6 Challenges

• Turn off tool leveling only level tools with mob heads
    • Turn off gravel drops from flint completely
    • Turn off the sprinkler
    • Toss in IguanaMan's Vanilla Tweaks
    • Lower the ore gen amounts in CoFH World generation
    • Turn off all vanilla tools in the TiC config
    • Turn on the 1.6 hunger/health interaction in Hunger Overhaul
    • Remove the gravestone mod

Mods that wreck the intended balance if added , adding these mods is bad if you want to play the pack as intended:

Buildcraft
    ComputerCraft
    Quarry Plus
    Enchanting Plus
    Kami
    IC2 and addons
    Mekanism
    EnderIO
    Dartcraft
    TreeCapitator or Vein Miner
    Project Red
    Wireless Redstone
    Sync
    Ars Magica 2
    Morph

There's nothing wrong with those mods, but MF is very heavily modified recipe wise for the tech tiers, and all of those mods as is will trash the progression. Most other mods were just left out for redundancy or because the mod doesn't fit my personal playstyle. For example EnderStorage is just redundant and by the time you have automated mining in this pack you also have tesseracts.

Honestly feel free to tweak it however you like, just don't ask me to troubleshoot it afterwards. And if you add the above mods realize you are not playing anything resembling Magic Farm.

On the other side of things these are the mods the pack is based around removing any of them will break the pack:

TE3
    Harvestcraft
    Hunger Overhaul
    Tinker's Construct
    Tinker's Tweaks
    Mine Factory Reloaded
    Minetweaker
    Extra Utilities
    JABBA

As long as those mods remain in you can remove any of the others and it remains Magic Farm. Yes this means you can remove all the magic mods and still be playing Magic Farm... I suck at creating names :p

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  5. Eyamaz

Eyamaz Modpack Team Team Member

This is eerily similar to a pack I'm working on, with more crop stuff. May I suggest changing TE recipies to use steel and gears? It's how I have mine currently set up and I think the little extra challenge for machinery pushes the game to a better level. Just my opinion though.
  6. Jadedcat

Nope. Minefantasy changes the starting mining in a way that makes TE machines already further down the tech tree.
  7. Eyamaz

Ah. I'm going to need to check that out then. I'm trying to build a pack to push most power and machinery back, using mj exclusively. Thinking of adding magic crops also, so I'm definitely looking forward to this pack.
  8. Sacred5010

Sacred5010 Member

Hey your from Michigan too!

Thank God, I thought gamers didn't live here. :p
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 9, 2013 ---
    Anyways, can't wait till it's fully released jaded!
    Eyamaz likes this.
  9. ryanjh5521

ryanjh5521 Well-Known Member

Can't wait for this. Also I'm not going to demand this but there is this really cool mod I found that adds crops and potions. The crops it adds are what you use to make the potions. If your interested ill post the link to it then so I don't get hated on for quote on quote "advertising" a mod. Sorry if this annoys you, that was not my intention.
    NoobIsMeX likes this.
  10. Eyamaz

I actually went through and built your pack (minus all the mj changing, because I don't know what values you changed them too,) and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

I played with and without natura and tconstruct and I think I liked it better with than without. The berries from natura made it a bit easier starting just because I roam a lot until I find were I want to build. Tconstruct, well who doesn't like tconstruct?

I even went through the hassle of editing the 10k+ worth of IDs in herbology to add it in. While I like it, I would suggest leaving it out. There is enough in the pack to keep players entertained without adding another 10k items into it. it also makes it very hard for people to add to the pack post release if they want.

I also added in treecap (i know you hate it) and magic crops. Though I like magic crops (with proper config settings) it doesn't mesh well with the rest of this pack. with the right, non cheaty config settings, treecap plays very well with this pack early game. late game it's useless (once a tree farm is setup.)
  11. Jadedcat

Oh I don't hate treecapitator. It can feel a bit cheaty but with config edits I don't mind it at all.

TConstruct is difficult, I really like the feel of the way Minefantasy does its progressions for the beginning game and TConstruct kills that. Natura kinda falls into that biome mod group to me. There are several mods I would add except what I want is a solid 30-40 mod base to let players add mods to. For me a solid base has a good variety of mods that fit together and flow progression wise while still having room for individuals to add a few more without killing lower end computers.
  12. Eyamaz

Ah, I see you made changes to Google doc.

Why both nei and craft guide?

What issues are you having with backpacks? I use this mod quite often and have had no issues as of yet.
  13. Jadedcat

Nei has issues with some forestry recipes. I use both :p

Had a few issues with the inventory contents vanishing.
  14. crumpitboy

crumpitboy New Member

you may want to disable the hot springs for BOP worldgen, i found one under my cave and reduced the challenge by about 90% at this point(im in the NEED FOOD NOW stage).
  15. 4q8TqU

4q8TqU New Member

Will there be a server client because I would LOVE to play this with my friends on a server. If there is one then please tell me where I can download it
    :)
  16. Atomizer_Zero

Atomizer_Zero New Member

Great modpack, Jadedcat!

I have an issue though.. sound isn't working. I'm guessing it's just not downloading the sounds... but yeh. I'll edit this post if I manage to fix it.

EDIT: I Deleted the Magic Farm directory, and then re-downloaded the modpack. The sounds downloaded properly this time. ^_^
  17. Eyamaz

Jaded doesn't do tech support. Please open a thread in tech support and follow the instructions in the first two links in my signature on Basic Troubleshooting and Log Files.

One of us will help you there.

Edit: retracted. Didn't know jaded was doing support for this pack.
  18. Jadedcat

umm actually I do do tech support for this pack and this pack only..
  19. Jadedcat

awesome.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 22, 2013 ---

I do not plan to add a server version. Anyone who knows how is welcome to make a server and load the pack on it.
  20. violetkitty87

violetkitty87 New Member

for some reason i cant get the game with the mod to launch the launcher downloads it then stops