1.6.2 Packs

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
UHC mode: Originally a mod
Horses: From a mod. Integrated into vanilla with help from he mod dev.
Coal blocks: originally in a mod
Enderchests: From a mod
Hoppers: from a mod
Etc.... LOL

Sorry, if your answering my post i did not understand your point (my main language is spanish, so it would not surprise me!).

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, if your answering my post i did not understand your point (my main language is spanish, so it would not surprise me!).

your post stated that you didn't care about vanilla minecraft updates, just mod updates. The current version of minecraft incorporates mods into vanilla. Horses are from a mod. UHC mode is a mod. Hoppers are from a mod. Enderchests are from a mod. Vanilla IS mods. That's my point

Thoraisius

Jul 29, 2019
Or you could just make a converter.

Here an idea if you think the game is missing one then you create one, that how all software starts somene thinking something is missing and then creating it themselves.

And if you don't want to bother making one yourself why should others?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Oh for the love of Notch...

What is causing all the problems with updating mods to 1.6.x? Is a back-end change that fundamentally changes the way parts of mods are coded. It is a MUCH faster and easier thing to do now, but that doesn't mean it is either fast or easy, just that it is a significant improvement over how it used to be. This means fewer system resources used, which means more FPS and able to run on crappier computers easier. This also means future mod updates are going to be a lot faster. However, for right now? It means re-writing several thousand lines of code. A one-time hassle, which pays of BIG dividends later.

Part of it also has to do with the new Resource Packs instead of just Texture Packs. That means that these Resource Packs can include new custom sounds as well, making your Minecrafting experience even MORE customizable. Don't like the sound from x mod? You can change that. However, it also changed how textures work, which is causing several mod authors to have to re-write significant portions of their code. Again, one-time hassle, which pays big dividends later.

Some people might wish to be impatient and demand results now. For myself? I'm all for these changes.

Speaking as a mod pack compiler, the incompatibility with previous worlds means I get to go in and tweak ID settings without pissing off my entire user-base, since the worlds are already incompatible. This lets me do a few things for my users that I didn't think about when I first created the mod pack, but was essentially stuck with because it would require changing ID's which would boop up existing worlds. This means I can set up the mod pack in such a way that adding in additional mods would be exceedingly user-friendly. This gives users unprecedented ease of adding additional mods for my mod pack. Since my mod pack is a 'Minimalist' mod pack, with only a few 'key' mods, suitable for people new to modded minecraft or those who simply don't want to deal with a flood of mods, being able to 'bolt on' additional mods yourself would give it additional use as a 'core' mod pack to tweak.

I've also got another idea for my mod pack which might present an entire paradigm change, much to the advantage of the end-user, but I'm still looking into this and not ready to release what it might be. Yet. Suffice to say, KirinDave pointed me at something that might well be a game-changer for mod packs, on the back-end, and I'm really excited to see where it is going to end up. Which, again, I would never have been able to do for my users without introducing world-incompatibility. So the fact that 1.6.x already does this means I can get everything down in one pill, so to speak, and provide a whole new level of enjoyment and entertainment for my user base.

Yes, being unable to import your 1.4.x or 1.5.x worlds into 1.6.x means you'll have to do a one-time restart. However, this gives me the freedom to do things for my users which would also require a restart, and get it all done at once, so you will only have a single restart necessary rather than a shotgun of several restarts. Otherwise, I would have had a hard choice of forcing my users to do a reset anyways but getting all these additional features, or simply holding my peace and not including these features. I think it will very much be worth the restart, though.

Blackmoore

Jul 29, 2019
I still think it MIGHT be possible to map the ID's so that a 1.4 or 1.5 world can move into 1.6 - but it will require the end users being patient for long enough and each of the developers to come through with updates for the mods in use.

If you change up the collection of mods, if you drop a mod, that's a world breaker. If you change world generation that COULD be a world breaker. if all you are dealing with is correcting IDS, and finding new ID for new items that isnt a world breaker; rather a small portion of hell as you attempt to map everything back into compatibility. (and the easiest - and most sane - fix is a world reset)

This is why so many of us have separate setups for past versions. sometimes I want to go back to my 1.2.5 with EE2. sometimes I just want to Vanilla 1.4. and sometimes FTB is the game i want to play.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Coming from Santa ... this struck me as a very funny thing to read. Thanks. :)

Most children are on the naughty list for that reason. "Ugh, I wanted the WHITE iPhone not the BLACK iPhone!" *smash*

Edit: Oh yeah, and I may or may not steal 20 bucks out of whatever they keep their money in. And if they don't have money, oh well. I can live without 20 extra bucks, after all, the elves don't even make the toys anyway.

God_of_Purple

Jul 29, 2019
I know this is feed the beast topic but tome looks like there just getting tired of fixing ftb but look at tekkit you can create your own packs to your following standerds and yes you can make them online but its 1.6 now and im still playing on 1.4.7 cause in 1.2.5 redpower was removed

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I know this is feed the beast topic but tome looks like there just getting tired of fixing ftb but look at tekkit you can create your own packs to your following standerds and yes you can make them online but its 1.6 now and im still playing on 1.4.7 cause in 1.2.5 redpower was removed

Can you say that in a more readable way?

Insomnius12

Jul 29, 2019
Really, if you would just do a little searching you could find out why worlds can't be carried over. It's quite simple really. And another thing, it's also easy to find out the status of mods by a little bit of searching, you don't have to wait on the FTB crew to announce them. I also can't believe your upset about world resets.....complaining about all this awesome FREE stuff to make Minecraft awesome? Yeah, like a previous poster said your acting like an entitled brat. Take a breather and realize, your gonna know when the packs are ready, they will announce it when they are ready. And for future reference, please learn a little about how modding works in a game before getting upset over something they have no control over (at least not yet).

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Really, if you would just do a little searching you could find out why worlds can't be carried over. It's quite simple really. And another thing, it's also easy to find out the status of mods by a little bit of searching, you don't have to wait on the FTB crew to announce them. I also can't believe your upset about world resets.....complaining about all this awesome FREE stuff to make Minecraft awesome? Yeah, like a previous poster said your acting like an entitled brat. Take a breather and realize, your gonna know when the packs are ready, they will announce it when they are ready. And for future reference, please learn a little about how modding works in a game before getting upset over something they have no control over (at least not yet).

I was the one who called him a brat. What do you mean by "learn a little about how modding works"?

esotericist

Jul 29, 2019
I've also got another idea for my mod pack which might present an entire paradigm change, much to the advantage of the end-user, but I'm still looking into this and not ready to release what it might be. Yet. Suffice to say, KirinDave pointed me at something that might well be a game-changer for mod packs, on the back-end, and I'm really excited to see where it is going to end up.

I am deeply curious as to what this something KirinDave pointed out might be.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to delete all mod packs, load the world, then move that "vanilla'd" world over? The structural infrastructure is what took the most time to build in my case.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Seemed possible. It'd be the same as updating any vanilla MC world into 1.6.2.

I'll experiment with it when 1.6.2 finally comes out for FTB. I'm not even sure if I care to switch tbh, but it'll be a good discovery for the community.[DOUBLEPOST=1374397844][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, why Cyan?

esotericist

Jul 29, 2019

You'll end up with gaping holes pretty much everywhere you used anything not strictly vanilla, so if you used any kind of mod-based structure/decorative anything, it'll be gone, and you'll have to rebuild. I hope you're either on peaceful or not using mod-based lighting, or you'll have extra misery.

You have absolutely no guarantees that world generation will match up between the original modded install and the 1.6.2 modded install (and a lot of reasons to expect it NOT to), so if you ever do explore new chunks, there's a fair chance you'll have sharp world discontinuities.

If these aren't issues for you, feel free to proceed. Although, as Bigglesworth says, you'll want to be sure to do this with a backup. This process will destroy data irreversibly, and you might not have as much left over as you expect.

I'm not even sure if I care to switch tbh, but it'll be a good discovery for the community.

This is actually a pretty well-explored space for many people who've been playing modded minecraft for a while, and it is undoubtedly a significant element as to why the eventual common (albeit not universal) conclusion becomes "Well, of course I'll make a new world."

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Well it was just a theory, I don't really care to play 1.6.2 anyways.

Those points are quite obvious.

Blackmoore

Jul 29, 2019

I'll experiment with it when 1.6.2 finally comes out for FTB. I'm not even sure if I care to switch tbh, but it'll be a good discovery for the community.[DOUBLEPOST=1374397844][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, why Cyan?

I've had this happen under tekkit (1.2.5) yes, the world loads, but anything with an Item ID outside of the Vanilla range will become air. This includes Basalt and marble. any forestry trees, Volcanoes, machines, microblocks will all be gone.... it creates a rather odd wasteland feel to it. You might see some blocks replaced by what are now Vanilla ID items (unlikely) This will happen in any chunk that you had previously loaded; and if you had a Biome mod (Biomes o'plenty, ExtrabiomesXL) that had added their own blocks that could be messy.

Once you get outside that area, the worldgen will become pure vanilla MC- and may create some startling shift in biome.