1.6.2 Packs

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I can wait for the update. Thats not the problem.
1. I cant play 1.5 or 1.4.7 now because I know I wont be able to keep my progress.
2. Every time they have an update all worlds get completely broken.

Yes, you can play 1.5 or 1.4.7 now and play them until you're ready to reset the world and then update to the latest pack at that time.

As far as worlds getting broken, that's unavoidable when you're trying to mod something as heavily as the FTB packs do. MC changes, Forge changes, mods change. It's going to happen.

LELS

Jul 29, 2019
I believe the main reason why 1.6 takes so long is that the dudes at Mojang do major every overhauls every revision, and recently there's been a major update quite frequently (1.3 - 1.6 in a few months), unlike 1.2.5 which stuck around for a while. This means that every time it gets updated, we have to wait for forge to get updated, which breaks all existing code due to the mojang overhaul. That's why it takes ages for mods to come out.

The reason for the id changes and world restarts is because sometimes mod creators have things to do (like jobs) so they can't dev full time (such as Eloraam), which means that it takes even longer for their mods to come out. Because ppl are impatient, the guys at FTB just omit mods such as RP2, which can be major and cause ids to change, which might break stuff and be better to start over.

Reactions: shard746

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
Some of the world-breaking changes involve bug fixes or rewriting methods to optimize the game. The liquid rewrite is one example. Liquid handling for every mod in the future will be consolidated and much easier. One mod author(I think powercrystals, but I might be wrong there)said that currently liquids have to have their rendering information in five different places. If fixing it to something simpler breaks my worlds then I have no problem starting over. And that's only one example of a positive change, I'm sure more knowledgeable people can give more.

Jaxx050

Jul 29, 2019
It's strange so many people are so hostile-ly protecting their worlds, when I find it impossible to not just say "BUGGER IT" and wipe every save every few weeks. I've never even seen most of the end-game content, and I could care less.

Ryiah

Jul 29, 2019
1. I cant play 1.5 or 1.4.7 now because I know I wont be able to keep my progress.
Well you're going to die of old age eventually. Does that stop you from doing various activities during your life? Why should Minecraft be any different? Realize that this problem will exist for a long time. Even if Mojang ceases updates, Forge and other developers will continue on for some time after.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't they say that the 1.6 release is in a few hours? They just finished updating Forge which means all mods are updated, since Forge relies on them all.

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
Didn't they say that the 1.6 release is in a few hours? They just finished updating Forge which means all mods are updated, since Forge relies on them all.

use your google skills to get the password like the cool kids

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
use your google skills to get the password like the cool kids
It's already out?! What's the password?[DOUBLEPOST=1373436413][/DOUBLEPOST]Tell me.[DOUBLEPOST=1373436444][/DOUBLEPOST]Tell me.[DOUBLEPOST=1373436488][/DOUBLEPOST]Tell me now.[DOUBLEPOST=1373436523][/DOUBLEPOST]Tell me this instant.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
ಠ_ಠ

FTB will *never* be less than a month behind vanilla even with minimalist packs. Normal packs will be more like 3+ months behind. You can thank Mojangs bad mod support for this, but even if they had great support, and didnt fuck most of the mods up with even tiny bug-crushing updates (its almost a skill), there would still be problems becuse MC was not designed for modding and they do not have a good system in place to prevent any of this.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
FTB will *never* be less than a month behind vanilla even with minimalist packs. Normal packs will be more like 3+ months behind. You can thank Mojangs bad mod support for this, but even if they had great support, and didnt fuck most of the mods up with even tiny bug-crushing updates (its almost a skill), there would still be problems becuse MC was not designed for modding and they do not have a good system in place to prevent any of this.

It's getting better lately though, Bigglesworth. Both 1.5 and 1.6 had a ton of work put into them with the goal of enabling better support and management of third-party content (mods, resource packs etc). Just to give you an example - in 1.6, you can install forge without having to open the minecraft.jar and overwrite files and delete stuff. You just press a button and its done, never touching the .jar. Similarly, the distinction between coremods and regular mods disappeared. So instead of three different kinds of mods that need to go in three different places, you now only have a single mods folder. And that's just scratching the surface of what's being done under the hood.

Ironically, right now it's precisely these changes which break the existing mods, because they're jury-rigged to work around the complicated, old system and need to be rewritten for the new, easy system. But for people who start modding now, it's already orders of magnitude better than it used to be a few major versions back. And hopefully this trend will continue.

Ryiah

Jul 29, 2019
Yes. I have a great plan to stop the sun from going red giant...but why bother?
You're not very experienced with making similar analogies are you? If he does nothing but wait for future releases to become available, he will never get anywhere. It is like waiting for better computer hardware to become available instead of making due with what is currently available on the market. If you wish to have a computer, you will eventually have to make the decision to purchase.

Just look at the current state of releases. FTB 1.5.x isn't even out yet and 1.6.x is already getting mods. The same is highly likely to happen with 1.6.x. By the time FTB has a release, MC 1.7.x will either be close to release or will have been released and getting early support by mods.

MrAgle

Jul 29, 2019
Bypassing the world reset complaints and all that, I too would like to hear some rumors/speculation/ideas for how the main packs will be updated for 1.6. I particularly like the Mindcrack pack, but I wouldn't mind seeing some new mods added to it. I wouldn't be surprised to see Direwolf's pack tweaked a bit if for no other reason than to add some variety.

Extra Utilities, Tinker's Construct and Thaumic Tinkerer... maybe a choice of using Biomes o'Plenty or ExtraBiomes? Maybe have them in the pack but off by default? What about some of the smaller mods like FlatSigns or InfiniBows?

Are they looking at including some of the Redpower2 clones, like Project Red (I think that's the name?) or adding MineFactory Reloaded largely for the rednet wiring?

Has there been any talk about including these, or removing any of the less popular mods, like Traincraft, or tweaking the default GregTech settings?

I'm actually quite excited to see what they'll release, whatever it is. I'm just curious about how things are shaping up.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I believe Traincraft got axed a while ago. It was never in any iteration of Ultimate, and not in any of the 1.5.x beta packs either.

As for what they will include, I assume it will largely orient itself on the current 1.5.x beta packs, and depend on what mods are updating in a timely manner. Slowpoke has repeatedly stated that he doesn't want to wait for a specific mod when compiling a pack, because that has the unintended side effect of pressuring the mod author. So if for example SirSengir suddenly decided to say "screw it, I'm going on vacation for two months", then we could potentially see a FTB pack without Forestry.

As for contenders for new mods, I wonder if Electrodynamics will be in a usable state by then ("usable" defined as proper worldgen config, ore dictionary support, recipes roughly in balance with the majority of the Forge ecosystem and a reason to use it other than "yet more yield per ore"). It does look very ambitious, but at the same time that means it'll need a lot of work.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I think the SRG system they are implementing will greatly help for the future.

For those who dont know its an additional layer of isolation between mods and forge, that should allow mods to not require updates unless something very drastic changes (in its ideal state everything would be updated as soon as forge updates (which typically takes like 2 days))

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
ಠ_ಠ

What the guy before me said and also, it's Mojangs slow take on mod friendliness which allowed MCP/forge to exist in the first place. These two are now leaps and bounds ahead of ANYTHING Mojang coul've conceivably come up with as it's made by modders, for modders. Bethesda is a good example. The games they do are very modding friendly, but the system is very rigid and you often struggle to create that which you wish to. Not so in minecraft, where all-seh-powyah-isz-yoursa.

I cannot imagine a better environment for modding, short of open source software.

Xedearnal

Jul 29, 2019
You're not very experienced with making similar analogies are you? If he does nothing but wait for future releases to become available, he will never get anywhere. It is like waiting for better computer hardware to become available instead of making due with what is currently available on the market. If you wish to have a computer, you will eventually have to make the decision to purchase.

Just look at the current state of releases. FTB 1.5.x isn't even out yet and 1.6.x is already getting mods. The same is highly likely to happen with 1.6.x. By the time FTB has a release, MC 1.7.x will either be close to release or will have been released and getting early support by mods.

Funny, this is irrelevant for me because I have decided that once 1.6.2 FTB is out I will never again start a new world. That will be it. If the next update breaks worlds, then I simply will refuse to update. Im sick of having too start over. Unfortunately, 1.6 contains the last piece of the puzzle to make minecraft be perfect for me (Name Tags) so I cant do it now. I will simply have to wait. Though I still hold firmly that FTB should have a world converter of some sort so this problem does not arise in the first place.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
The 1.5 packs are still in beta testing. 1.6 came out a couple of weeks ago. You need to understand that it takes a shit ton of time to update mods, especially if mod makers have jobs, family, etc. If you CANNOT play 1.5 or 1.4, play Vanilla.[DOUBLEPOST=1373536474][/DOUBLEPOST]
Funny, this is irrelevant for me because I have decided that once 1.6.2 FTB is out I will never again start a new world. That will be it. If the next update breaks worlds, then I simply will refuse to update. Im sick of having too start over. Unfortunately, 1.6 contains the last piece of the puzzle to make minecraft be perfect for me (Name Tags) so I cant do it now. I will simply have to wait. Though I still hold firmly that FTB should have a world converter of some sort so this problem does not arise in the first place.

This is ridiculous.