[1.2.5 Insanity] What do you consider cheating?

motorhue

Jul 29, 2019
(If this belongs in the mod pack subforum feel free to move me)

I have just started playing around with the FTB Insanity challenge, and having a blast at it. Now, I really want to keep spoilers at a minimum so I try not to read too much about it, but I want your un-spoiled opinion on something: What do you consider cheating in this map? I started thinking about this after reading something about slowpoke considering the blazerodmacerating to be exploit.

Do you spawn yourselves another DM pick if you die?
Do you switch to creative mode for tedious travelling i.e. water elevator nether-home?
Do you macerate blaze rods (don't tell me how you get blazerods though, I haven't gotten there yet :p (maybe I must find a nether fortress "biome"))?
Do you spawn yourselves another copy of some item if you forgot to teach your table before using it?

nayrc

Jul 29, 2019
For me it depends what sort of way you play, in SSP you aren't competing with anyone so if something is going to ruin your fun completely (not just annoy you for a while, a lot of the map is designed to be like that) you could "cheat".
Although if you are timing your run, practicing for a competition or want a challange you should avoid blaze rod exploit, creative fast traveling and spawning in blocks you don't 100% need (eg. spawning in cobble instead of mining it manually) as i would personally consider any of them "cheating" if you were playing in any sort of competitive way.

What i wouldn't consider cheating thought is if you lose something irreplaceable that you need to finish map (ie. lava source block or a non-gimmick from the reward chest.) you could spawn it in, maybe for some sort of time/emc penalty.

oh and one last thing, no spoilers but you can get blaze rods without finding a fortress. ;)

Canotsa

Jul 29, 2019
When i cheat its only if i lose something that hinders me from completing the objectives.
Like if i lose copper before learning it to the transtable i will cheat a peice in again (Though i usually drop some diamonds in the void when i do).

If i lose a item for an objective, then I'll just call myself an idiot and craft it again.
If i lose my DM Pickaxe, then I'll call myself an dumb idiot and craft it later when I've got some milk farms ;)

And if i play against someone I'll ask if i can cheat an item in ;P

adib

Jul 29, 2019
Canotsa said:
When i cheat its only if i lose something that hinders me from completing the objectives.
Like if i lose copper before learning it to the transtable i will cheat a peice in again (Though i usually drop some diamonds in the void when i do).

If i lose a item for an objective, then I'll just call myself an idiot and craft it again.
If i lose my DM Pickaxe, then I'll call myself an dumb idiot and craft it later when I've got some milk farms ;)

And if i play against someone I'll ask if i can cheat an item in ;P
pretty much this, unless it is necesary to have and literally impossible to craft it at moment, i will cheat it in.

Reactions: jokermatt999

DarkJDL

Jul 29, 2019
Although I think this is more of a "woops we forgot that"(I could be mistaken, the people who made this are freaking geniuses, but humans can make mistakes =D) rather than cheating; I found a way to get hundreds of thousand of EMC in about 15+3x minutes(15 for the setup and x for every time you wanna rinse and repeat) right after getting my redstone. I'm not going to say how I managed that, although I can say it is legit. it does make my life quite easier. and it will be even faster when I bother using my EMC to make something better lol

---edit---
x is about 2 minutes, and once yields about 35k emc. and 2 minutes is doing it VERY manually. lol

--edit2--
corrected unwanted typo. (others are either wanted or unseen =D)

-edit3-
with some minor modifications (okay pretty major but they're minor considering the EMC I'm making) I now consider this cheating; I changed my 2minutes x into a 20 seconds, and I'm about to change my 35k into (probably) 1m EMC per 20 seconds or something close to that. Sooo yeah, unless I can confirm this was intended, I will think this is cheating =/ Too bad I thought I was legit! (good for you guys I never said how I did it! =D)

edit4
this is very broken, I make 884736 EMC per 25 seconds. (my transmutation tablet makes my game lag now, somehow)

adib

Jul 29, 2019
DarkJDL said:
Although I think this is more of a "woops we forgot that"(I could be mistaken, the people who made this are freaking geniuses, but humans can make mistakes =D) rather than cheating; I found a way to get hundreds of thousand of EMC in about 15+3x minutes(15 for the setup and x for every time you wanna rinse and repeat) right after getting my redstone. I'm not going to say how I managed that, although I can say it is legit. it does make my life quite easier. and it will be even faster when I bother using my EMC to make something better lol

---edit---
x is about 2 minutes, and once yields about 35k emc. and 2 minutes is doing it VERY manually. lol

--edit2--

-edit3-
with some minor modifications (okay pretty major but they're minor considering the EMC I'm making) I now consider this cheating; I changed my 2minutes x into a 20 seconds, and I'm about to change my 35k into (probably) 1m EMC per 20 seconds or something close to that. Sooo yeah, unless I can confirm this was intended, I will think this is cheating =/ Too bad I thought I was legit! (good for you guys I never said how I did it! =D)

edit4
this is very broken, I make 884736 EMC per 25 seconds. (my transmutation tablet makes my game lag now, somehow)
yeah i've seen more people complain about lag of the TT.
wish to know how you gian 800k emc in 25 secs tough...

Canotsa

Jul 29, 2019
DarkJDL said:

---edit---

--edit2--

-edit3-

edit4

Woah, gimme. I want dat.

Loothias

Jul 29, 2019
I think that the next map needs to work out a way to allow people to start with nothing (not even the philosopher's stone). This would make it harder to allow EE generation.

adib

Jul 29, 2019
Loothias said:
I think that the next map needs to work out a way to allow people to start with nothing (not even the philosopher's stone). This would make it harder to allow EE generation.
unless you give the player everything he needs for the next room you cant do that.

Loothias

Jul 29, 2019
adib said:
Loothias said:
unless you give the player everything he needs for the next room you cant do that.

I mean they need to think of a way to stop making EE the central mod. They need to work out a way to have other mods be the starting point for other maps. Otherwise FTB can't really expand. I think it would be great and hard to start a game that (as I said before) does not use EE as the central mod.

adib

Jul 29, 2019
Loothias said:
adib said:
Loothias said:

I mean they need to think of a way to stop making EE the central mod. They need to work out a way to have other mods be the starting point for other maps. Otherwise FTB can't really expand. I think it would be great and hard to start a game that (as I said before) does not use EE as the central mod.
would be hard tough, cant think of an mod without giving the players free resources.

Loothias

Jul 29, 2019
An example (although not fantastic) is the UU matter from IC. Give just enough to make dirt and some other of the main items needed.

adib

Jul 29, 2019
Loothias said:
An example (although not fantastic) is the UU matter from IC. Give just enough to make dirt and some other of the main items needed.
you need lots of energy+scrap and scrap cant be given from an certain amount of uu it is an % chance to get scrap from something.
thus it wont work
also with ee you can make mistakes early(not throwing away philo stone or somethign like that, but using emc for the wrong items)

Loothias

Jul 29, 2019
adib said:
Loothias said:
you need lots of energy+scrap and scrap cant be given from an certain amount of uu it is an % chance to get scrap from something.
thus it wont work
also with ee you can make mistakes early(not throwing away philo stone or somethign like that, but using emc for the wrong items)

I mean give the raw UU matter so they can build the required items and make it so you can build other things which would create variety when people played FTB. Currently every map is played the same way by everyone one every map. There is just no variation.

adib

Jul 29, 2019
Loothias said:
adib said:
Loothias said:
thus it wont work

I mean give the raw UU matter so they can build the required items and make it so you can build other things which would create variety when people played FTB. Currently every map is played the same way by everyone one every map. There is just no variation.
true, but i dont think if you give someone uu matter there will be alot.

Loothias

Jul 29, 2019
Yea that could be a problem but I think that there should be some other way to build an FTB map besides EE. The problem is that even though the map layout changes the gameplay does not. Maybe a mod dev can help the FTB team out?

MrSphex

Jul 29, 2019
Haha this reminded me of something I did. I threw my KSO into the klein star charger of mine (basically the ideal setup of relays and collectors that people use with a condenser in the middle, but instead with another collector) and forgot I had no fuel on me and went to fly to my Buildcraft station...I fell into the void and couldn't die because I had RM armor on..xD. So I just swapped NEI into creative, saved my inventory, took off the armor and respawned...it was pretty embarrasing xD.

But on the topic of Cheating, I say anything that isn't in the map rules isn't cheating...that includes the blaze macorator thing, though I don't use it anyways :p. And as someone else stated, you don't need to find a fortress...you need a more creative way to get blaze rods. Think about how you got gold :)

Loothias

Jul 29, 2019
MrSphex said:
Haha this reminded me of something I did. I threw my KSO into the klein star charger of mine (basically the ideal setup of relays and collectors that people use with a condenser in the middle, but instead with another collector) and forgot I had no fuel on me and went to fly to my Buildcraft station...I fell into the void and couldn't die because I had RM armor on..xD. So I just swapped NEI into creative, saved my inventory, took off the armor and respawned...it was pretty embarrasing xD.

But on the topic of Cheating, I say anything that isn't in the map rules isn't cheating...that includes the blaze macorator thing, though I don't use it anyways :p. And as someone else stated, you don't need to find a fortress...you need a more creative way to get blaze rods. Think about how you got gold :)

you mean go to the nether and kill the required mob?? ;)