Launcher Alternative

WitherBlaster

Jul 29, 2019
I'm unable to download any FTB content because the FTB Launcher is "from an unidentified developer" (stupid IT guys). Is there any way to download FTB modpacks other than the Launcher? In particular, I want an alternative download for the Direwolf20 1.7 pack.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I'm unable to download any FTB content because the FTB Launcher is "from an unidentified developer" (stupid IT guys). Is there any way to download FTB modpacks other than the Launcher? In particular, I want an alternative download for the Direwolf20 1.7 pack.
There's certainly a way, I just don't remember it. Generally, it's kind of complicated too.

Once the new launcher comes, you should be able to use that to get around your block. This is because the new launcher installs to the default Minecraft directory, you can install the pack on another computer then copy your Minecraft folder to the one the launcher won't launch on.
Then again, the new launcher will probably have a valid digital signature thing that makes Windows trust it too, so that'd be irrelevant.

"IT guys" implies that your computer's from work or school. I've read enough stories on reddit to know that work IT teams monitor use of work computers, you get fired for playing games on them (sometimes even out of hours too, something about misappropriating company equipment).
If it's school... honestly, I'm pretty sure school reimage their computers periodically anyway, so whatever you do doesn't really matter :p Be careful about work computers though. Most of my friends dualboot Linux on their school laptops with Windows as default, that way they get admin privileges and they can't really screw anything to do with Windows up.

Reactions: Maxiride

WitherBlaster

Jul 29, 2019
Once the new launcher comes, you should be able to use that to get around your block. This is because the new launcher installs to the default Minecraft directory, you can install the pack on another computer then copy your Minecraft folder to the one the launcher won't launch on.
That should work very nicely. I'll just need to wait 24 hours for each pack due to what times I have access to what computers.
Then again, the new launcher will probably have a valid digital signature thing that makes Windows trust it too, so that'd be irrelevant.
I'm using a Mac computer, and apparently the only way to 'identify a developer' is to ask Apple to do it, and cross your fingers.
"IT guys" implies that your computer's from work or school. I've read enough stories on reddit to know that work IT teams monitor use of work computers, you get fired for playing games on them (sometimes even out of hours too, something about misappropriating company equipment).
If it's school... honestly, I'm pretty sure school reimage their computers periodically anyway, so whatever you do doesn't really matter :p Be careful about work computers though. Most of my friends dualboot Linux on their school laptops with Windows as default, that way they get admin privileges and they can't really screw anything to do with Windows up.
It's a school computer. I'm not sure what you mean by reimaging a computer, but I know my school uses Deep Freeze to reset the computers every night. Deep Freeze leaves the Documents folder alone, so that students have a place to save essays and such. I usually just put the Minecraft folder in there just before I go to lunch (4-hour school day FTW!).

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
It's a school computer. I'm not sure what you mean by reimaging a computer, but I know my school uses Deep Freeze to reset the computers every night. Deep Freeze leaves the Documents folder alone, so that students have a place to save essays and such. I usually just put the Minecraft folder in there just before I go to lunch (4-hour school day FTW!).
Reimage is similar to reset, but it's basically reinstall the entire operating system.

And good god, that must be an annoying system to work with, I'd hate it. My school's way more lax, one of the staff knows I have the root password for half their servers and either he's forgotten or he just really trusts me :p

Reactions: Fuzzbling

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
I'm using a Mac computer, and apparently the only way to 'identify a developer' is to ask Apple to do it, and cross your fingers.

There is currently two active launcher developers and 50% says now that we are not wasting time and money(?) for apple developer ID(s).
Reasons:
  1. New curse client
  2. You probably can use .jar version even if OS X blocks .app/.zip(I have only 1.6.8 and I can't test if that's true). Download it from website and run in command line:
    1. java -jar <path to file>/FTB_Launcher.jar
    2. You probably want to check command line arguments -C and -D those can be used to move settings and cache directories into Documents folder
There might be some problems if Documents folder is mounted from network. Also if Deep Freeze removes cache directory first launcher run will be slow and your launcher settings will be deleted.

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Pack XML: http://www.creeperrepo.net/FTB2/static/modpacks.xml

URL structure (for FTB official packs, not third-party): [baseUrl] + "modpacks/" + [modpackID] + "/" + [version] + "/" + [filename]

[baseURL] is: http://www.creeperrepo.net/FTB2/
[modpackID] would be the "dir" parameter of a "modpack" tag in the XML.
[version] would be one of the listed pack version numbers, in the format of "1_0_3" for 1.0.3 for example.
[filename] would be the "url" parameter in the modpack tag for a client pack, or the "serverPack" parameter for a server version.

The current version of the Direwolf20 pack for example would be http://www.creeperrepo.net/FTB2/modpacks/direwolf20_17/1_0_3/direwolf20_17.zip

WitherBlaster

Jul 29, 2019
Pack XML: http://www.creeperrepo.net/FTB2/static/modpacks.xml

URL structure (for FTB official packs, not third-party): [baseUrl] + "modpacks/" + [modpackID] + "/" + [version] + "/" + [filename]

[baseURL] is: http://www.creeperrepo.net/FTB2/
[modpackID] would be the "dir" parameter of a "modpack" tag in the XML.
[version] would be one of the listed pack version numbers, in the format of "1_0_3" for 1.0.3 for example.
[filename] would be the "url" parameter in the modpack tag for a client pack, or the "serverPack" parameter for a server version.

The current version of the Direwolf20 pack for example would be http://www.creeperrepo.net/FTB2/modpacks/direwolf20_17/1_0_3/direwolf20_17.zip
Thanks! Now I can enjoy the greatness of the DW20 pack!

TBH, most of that went over my head, but what I DID understand was the [version], so I'll be able to update as need be. If I need to get any other modpacks (like Material Energy^3), I'll just look up what the other stuff means.