Mod Feedback [By Request] RotaryCraft Suggestions

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Licensing crap aside, Reika I'd like to thank you again for making a great mod that really re-invigorated my Minecraft play.

I have been away from home for some months and I'm itching to go build a reactor. My laptop just can't play on my own server...
Breaking in for a sec, would it be considered cheaty and bad to run an extractor off of steam engines? We(DoW, fr33py, and I) have been doing that, but I have been having doubts about its cheatynes. We don't have gas/magnetic/anything higher than steam yet, so.... EDIT: The server has finite water, so we are not just pumping out the nearest 2x2 pool. Just wanted to say that.

Reactions: Demosthenex

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Breaking in for a sec, would it be considered cheaty and bad to run an extractor off of steam engines? We(DoW, fr33py, and I) have been doing that, but I have been having doubts about its cheatynes. We don't have gas/magnetic/anything higher than steam yet, so.... EDIT: The server has finite water, so we are not just pumping out the nearest 2x2 pool. Just wanted to say that.

Reika has restrictions in place to prevent engine "spamming" through junctions. So any way you can find to power things is fair game. I expect that extractor is rather slow though.

Where have you been finding water on the server to keep that going? I have rain tanks and the steam engines eat so much water so quickly that I gave up on them completely and went all Ethanol with gas engines.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Reika has restrictions in place to prevent engine "spamming" through junctions. So any way you can find to power things is fair game. I expect that extractor is rather slow though.

Where have you been finding water on the server to keep that going? I have rain tanks and the steam engines eat so much water so quickly that I gave up on them completely and went all Ethanol with gas engines.
Water tank and aqueous accumulator together keep up, and in fact get a little extra water. Also, I thought the anti spamming thing was only in 1.7, because we have eight or nine steamers running the extractor.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Water tank and aqueous accumulator together keep up, and in fact get a little extra water. Also, I thought the anti spamming thing was only in 1.7, because we have eight or nine steamers running the extractor.

Sounds fine to me. Steam is hard when water is finite.

At my base I've refused to use the AA's because I dislike Thermal Expansion. I use item ducts at times, but want to be rid of those too. Eventually I'll put in a dewpoint aggregator, or just a huge field of reservoirs. They collect rain when it rains at an awesome rate, so if I have enough perhaps I can run steam between rainstorms.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Because that leads to accusations of favoritism and bribery, and not just from ignorant players. Last time I tried that I had TiC accusing me of DRM both on twitter and every time the game launched, and putting code in TiC accordingly.
T1sTNdQ.png

Let me make myself clear:
I am always going to listen to suggestions for balance or otherwise. I am by no means required to implement them. And to say "well then, screw you, I'll just code it myself/find someone who will" is not only a blatant threat but a clear demonstration of entitlement.

Also, any claims that the proposed addon is not damaging to RC or only applies when GT is installed are fruitless. Not only is the first simply false, but but the second is only minimally true. As soon as an addon of that nature is developed, you will have people clamoring for it to be usable even without GT. You should be well aware of how many people demand the Extractor be nerfed to 2x because they are completely unaware of the relative difficulty to the pulverizer and similar devices. Even keybounce, who is now reasonably well-acquainted with RC and is not the moron some others are, has made that claim before they used it. Additionally, it will lead to many cases of other hostile addons being developed, under the logic "well, that other one already exists". It will also lead to a flood of plugins designed to break what I have implemented to prevent things from being restricted to donators. This is where I completely lose control over everything I have designed and might as well give up entirely. I am not going to spend nearly 100% of my free time designing mods like RC if some jackoff with money for buying recoding or a mod-recoding-tool can just stick his dick in whatever behavior he pleases.

Pick one.

Now, if you want the reasoning behind my "no modifications" rule, do a little searching; I have said it all over this and other forums.

Now, if for singleplayer you want to make this addon for your own personal game, go ahead. (Easier would be to compile a custom RC version). But as soon as it gets distributed it becomes public and against the rules.
I don't need to pick one. My statements are backed by reality and logic and neither desire nor require your endorsement.

At the end of the day, no matter what you want to accomplish with your mod, there is a growing interest in having "roc-like" elements "but also with X". If enough people want that badly enough they'll find a way to make it happen and suddenly you lose control of something important to you.

I'm sorry if you construe that as some sort of threat. The truth is that it's simply a prediction based on historical fact.

Reactions: gallowglass

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Oh hello. I see that trajing's post was removed. But I would support that and do the same. *Bunkers down and waits for post to be removed*

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
These last few pages just remind me how many modders have quit lately due to not enjoying modding any more.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Ok then. I still support it. It is more than just a little bit useless. EDIT: Now with 1000% more in-game chatter, Tinker's construct! It will tell you about what the author of TiC thinks of every other mod in your pack's author!
Don't even get me started on mDiyo.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
I assume that he has removed the "Reika is doing something that looks like DRM, freak out!!!!!!1!!1!1" message anymore. I cannot find it in the logs of my most recent modpack launch, and it has both DragonAPI and TiC. Also, just wondering, what does this message mean? 2014-09-17 22:38:59 [INFO] [STDOUT] DragonAPI is not running in a deobfuscated environment! This is not an error! I know it is not an error, but it is confusing nonetheless.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I assume that he has removed the "Reika is doing something that looks like DRM, freak out!!!!!!1!!1!1" message anymore. I cannot find it in the logs of my most recent modpack launch, and it has both DragonAPI and TiC. Also, just wondering, what does this message mean? 2014-09-17 22:38:59 [INFO] [STDOUT] DragonAPI is not running in a deobfuscated environment! This is not an error! I know it is not an error, but it is confusing nonetheless.
The code changes and logs were about 6-9 months ago, yes. But the point is that such a reaction is not as far-fetched as people believe. Also, the "deobfuscated" log is just the flipside to "[Mod] is running in a deobfuscated environment" message when the mods run in a dev environment.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
Ohhh.. Ok, that makes sense. Also, I understand that it was extreme, and don't really think that it was called for. Some people are...finiky to deal with. And some are just overly excitable and angsty.

Omega Haxors

Jul 29, 2019
Would it be within the realm of possibility to give all your machines a proper torque requirement? It's just killing the balance of certain aspects of your mod. For example:

I'm running 2 grinders. One off a steam engine and one off a gasoline engine. Both are being converted to the most efficient speeds. Obviously the gas engine is going to be better than the steam engine and it shows. The steam grinder takes 23.95 seconds to operate while the gasoline engine only takes 17.95 seconds. This is fine.

Now lets take the magnetizing unit. I do the same thing as before only this time the results are alarming. The lower tier steam engine takes 10.95 seconds to operate while the next tier up takes a 0.95 seconds to operate! That's a massive difference for only one tier!

There seriously needs to be proper torque requirements on some of the devices. It's almost insulting how easy it is to overpower them and quickly get the super OP 1 action per tick effect just from going up a few tiers. Even the mighty extractor's 2nd and 3rd parts can run at 1 action/tick with the use of speed gears! What's that? No shaft requirements on the monster spawner? Wow, that means I can rock a nice 1 mob per tick with only a single microturbine? Balanced.

This. This is why the magnetostatic is so OP. No amount of lubricant is ever going to fix that. Top tier with no risks that allows you to overpower everything below it with low or non-existent torque requirements.

Overpowered is fun, but please make me work for it. My 30+ Aurorals are just sitting around gathering dust because my magnetostatics are more than enough to handle everything.

NOTE: I was using a very outdated version of RotaryCraft. Hopefully some of this injustice has been dealt with in future versions, and if it has, excuse my pointless post.

Reactions: 1M Industries