[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
So since the GT Ore Washing Station doesn't do what I thought it should do (wash impure ore dusts and make them pure), then what is the GT machine that can replace having to use the Cauldron and wash the dusts by hand after they come out of the Forge Hammer? When I get an ore, I macerate it to double it, then I Forge Hammer it to make it an impure dust, and then...? Cauldron by hand? What am I doing wrong?

What I want (and thought I would get) is Macerator->Forge Hammer->Ore Wash->Furnace, which would turn 1 ore into 2 ingots. Or maybe I should be using an Electrolyzer or something else on dusts, to get the rare byproducts?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
iirc you need to cauldron your dusts until you can centrifuge them. Alternately you can smelt them while they're impure.

GT Centrifuge is the right one, its working for coal dust, thanks. So it's Macerator->Forge Hammer->Centrifuge for no more Cauldron washing by hand, yay! I was getting Carpal Tunnel from it. LOL

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
So since the GT Ore Washing Station doesn't do what I thought it should do (wash impure ore dusts and make them pure), then what is the GT machine that can replace having to use the Cauldron and wash the dusts by hand after they come out of the Forge Hammer? When I get an ore, I macerate it to double it, then I Forge Hammer it to make it an impure dust, and then...? Cauldron by hand? What am I doing wrong?

What I want (and thought I would get) is Macerator->Forge Hammer->Ore Wash->Furnace, which would turn 1 ore into 2 ingots. Or maybe I should be using an Electrolyzer or something else on dusts, to get the rare byproducts?

One washes crushed ores, not impure dusts, in the Ore Washing Plant. Beware, it consumes a good amount of water (and power!). I found it useful only for ores that produce a rare or much-needed byproduct. Everything else was much easier to run through my steam macerator and forge hammer, then smelt or wash in the cauldron as necessary. I just toss the entire stack in the cauldron at once by standing on top of it and dragging the stack out of my inventory. Apparently there is a hotkey for that (Alt + Q?) on your currently held item, which is nice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
GT Centrifuge is the right one, its working for coal dust, thanks. So it's Macerator->Forge Hammer->Centrifuge for no more Cauldron washing by hand, yay! I was getting Carpal Tunnel from it. LOL
One of my basemates once set up a system so that you threw dirty dusts into one chest, they bounced through cauldron, and hoppered into the "clean dusts" chest. Super cool.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
One washes crushed ores, not impure dusts, in the Ore Washing Plant. Beware, it consumes a good amount of water (and power!). I found it useful only for ores that produce a rare or much-needed byproduct. Everything else was much easier to run through my steam macerator and forge hammer, then smelt or wash in the cauldron as necessary. I just toss the entire stack in the cauldron at once by standing on top of it and dragging the stack out of my inventory. Apparently there is a hotkey for that (Alt + Q?) on your currently held item, which is nice.

Yeah the Centrifuge is real slow. I realized pretty quickly that it makes no sense to spend two hours mining coal by hand (I got about 12 stacks) and then run them thru Macerator-Hammer-Centrifuge because it's really slow and I'm barely keeping ahead of the pace at which my boilers are using the coal dust up. :confused: So char/coal is not working for me. I think I need to pump oil and run a diesel generator, except it appears the only way to turn oil into fuel is with a BC Refinery and for that I think I need a source of RF power. One thing at a time! lol

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeah the Centrifuge is real slow. I realized pretty quickly that it makes no sense to spend two hours mining coal by hand (I got about 12 stacks) and then run them thru Macerator-Hammer-Centrifuge because it's really slow and I'm barely keeping ahead of the pace at which my boilers are using the coal dust up. :confused: So char/coal is not working for me. I think I need to pump oil and run a diesel generator, except it appears the only way to turn oil into fuel is with a BC Refinery and for that I think I need a source of RF power. One thing at a time! lol
GT Pro Tip:
Machine speed is a false trail. Victory lies in numbers. 10 Centrifuges process 10x faster than 1 Centrifuge.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
GT Pro Tip:
Machine speed is a false trail. Victory lies in numbers. 10 Centrifuges process 10x faster than 1 Centrifuge.

Understood and thanks. You could add a corollary, "Overclocking your machine is nice, but adding more machines is the best possible way to increase output."

I certainly dream of the day when my base consists, not of one building filled with many machines, but of many buildings each filled with one type of machine. :D

----

GT Noob tip: Always put a roof on your house. Bronze Age steam machines are immune to rain, but anything electrical tends to blow up, and you don't really have much time after it begins pouring to grab some dirt and frantically try to place it over all your hard work. LOL [GT Pro tip: get into the habit of copying that world folder frequently!]

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
Protip 2: Certain items if you want to make them into base products, smelt them in the impure dust form.
For ex: Malachite, if you just want the copper bars? smelt it in impure dust form, if you smelt it as just plain malachite then you only get 6 nuggets... :p

Also: in the steam age, Macerate it first, then just shove it in the forge hammer, quicker and cheaper.

GuitarMoshi

Jul 29, 2019
Hooboy... considering diving into this pack after reading 36 pages of posts and getting over my Crash Landing burnout... is the bronze age pretty much like previous GT versions, so I can get at least that far before losing my mind? :D

Reactions: Grove

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
Hooboy... considering diving into this pack after reading 36 pages of posts and getting over my Crash Landing burnout... is the bronze age pretty much like previous GT versions, so I can get at least that far before losing my mind? :D
Yes and no, the oregen is totally overhauled so it may take you some time to find certain stuff, but dont let that dissuade you - its fun :D

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

If you're like me and get lucky and spawn at a high elevation right next to a huge coal vein and a nice Tetrahedrite/Copper vein up at the top of the closest mountain, and if you get even luckier and find a huge vein of Cassiterite/Tin within the first day of looking for one... then yeah, you'll have fun. But if you're not lucky... well let's just assume you will be lucky, okay? We don't want to be too negative before you even begin. :)

GregTech is the best mod there is (IMO obv) but his oregen might not be everybody's cup of tea, so to speak. Be prepared to do a lot of exploring, I ride my horse a lot and just see if I can find anything but that obviously won't work for ores that generate below ground. But I've found a lot of deposits on horseback. Look for chasms, I finally found my coveted Galena Ore deposit (Galena is really lead+silver) in a chasm that I almost rode into. lol

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
It's worth getting stuck into. Lots of exploring to be done at first above and below ground but when your set up with different ores it's the best pack I've ever played. Theres loads to do (as in sure you've read) so you'll never be short of things to do.

I'm in the electrical age now but I'm struggling to find a decent power source that's reliable. I'm now looking into making diesel to power my Electric Blast Furnace as its eating through the steam power I have at the moment.

I've got a massive tree farm set up powering itself and producing charcoal but the charcoal production is very slow and can't keep up with a RC 2x2 HP boiler never mind a greg tech boiler!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GuitarMoshi

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I've got a massive tree farm set up powering itself and producing charcoal but the charcoal production is very slow and can't keep up with a RC 2x2 HP boiler never mind a greg tech boiler!!
The ender io alloy smelter makes charcoal at a good rate. Add the octaditic(sp) capacitor and its really fast.

If you have Steve's Workshop installed, it can function essentially as 4 furnaces in one block, and you can solar power that as well.

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
The ender io alloy smelter makes charcoal at a good rate. Add the octaditic(sp) capacitor and its really fast.

If you have Steve's Workshop installed, it can function essentially as 4 furnaces in one block, and you can solar power that as well.
Since the last update the enderIO furnace was nerfed. Without upgrades it now needs 1 charcoal in enderio generator and he provides just enough RF to create another charcoal so your not gaining anything at all. I submitted a change and jasons put it in the next update (TBC) I think.

I'm going to look into Steves workshop then because I really need a better system for my steam production. I didn't even think about that mod!! I'll look at it when I get home! It's these simple things I always overlook :/

My enderio alloy furnace has the best capacitor in it atm but it's still painfully slow. Can't keep up with a 2x2 RC HP Boiler :/

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
h
Since the last update the enderIO furnace was nerfed. Without upgrades it now needs 1 charcoal in enderio generator and he provides just enough RF to create another charcoal so your not gaining anything at all. I submitted a change and jasons put it in the next update (TBC) I think.
My enderio alloy furnace has the best capacitor in it atm but it's still painfully slow. Can't keep up with a 2x2 RC HP Boiler :/
It was too buff for sure anyway :)

As always, consider multiple machines though. I remember in one world having something like 40 furnaces for my tree farm.

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
h

It was too buff for sure anyway :)

As always, consider multiple machines though. I remember in one world having something like 40 furnaces for my tree farm.

Wow! I've never needed that many! I would add other alloy furnaces but then they need charcoal to power them too. I'd have to test see if it's sort it.

One thing I have found handy. Going into deserts with a stack of charcoal (or wood planks) with an EnderIO generator, a BC pump, fluid conduit and a few barrels and pumping the oil dry.
I've worked my way through the oil pools and I'm working on the fountain ones now. I take them back to my base and empty them into a RC tank for storage and processing into fuel. Working well so far!!

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Fun: ) I take it you just don't want to wait on redstone engines and a few charcoal is cheap.

My own project this week has been trying to automate the recycling of my depleted MOX reactor fuel. I've created a small station between the Reactor housing and the main base. It's going to have 2 basic thermal centrifuges (32V is enough to process depleted mox), 2 basic plate bending machines (you need iron plates for dual fuel rods) and 2 Steve's Workshop benches.

Its a bit of a tangle because ultimately when you thermal-centrifuge depleted MOX (single or dual) you get a bunch of plutonium, iron dust and tiny-plutonium. But ultimately I need to create precisely 4 Dual-Mox rods and 2 Single-Mox rods, so I need to make sure the recycled resources are managed properly.

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
Fun: ) I take it you just don't want to wait on redstone engines and a few charcoal is cheap.

My own project this week has been trying to automate the recycling of my depleted MOX reactor fuel. I've created a small station between the Reactor housing and the main base. It's going to have 2 basic thermal centrifuges (32V is enough to process depleted mox), 2 basic plate bending machines (you need iron plates for dual fuel rods) and 2 Steve's Workshop benches.

Its a bit of a tangle because ultimately when you thermal-centrifuge depleted MOX (single or dual) you get a bunch of plutonium, iron dust and tiny-plutonium. But ultimately I need to create precisely 4 Dual-Mox rods and 2 Single-Mox rods, so I need to make sure the recycled resources are managed properly.

Wow have fun with that!! That's so far beyond me at the moment. I've still not found a uranium deposit :/ must be the only one I haven't found yet.

I can't wait until I've got a stable power system set up and I can start adding and making more machines.

I've just run into the whole 'steel needs liquid oxygen' thing now in the EBF so I'm working on a way to do that. I'd love to get a tank set up for every type of liquid I need but that day is quite far off yet!!!

Reactions: Tyriael_Soban