Help with PC build

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
You could go with slower ram, unless you intend to underclock it and tighten the timings a bit. Personally I wouldn't go AMD. Intels have far better single thread performance. Comparing overall passmark scores doesn't show much difference between the two. $40 saved on the CPU will net you 300 more passmark score, which is negligible at best.

As far as fps is concerned, let me put your parts you've chosen into context; I'm running the same gpu, but with a 6 year old c2quad and ddr2 memory, and I don't dip below 80fps on a well established world. Your chosen build roughly doubles my passmark score, has memory that runs at a much higher clock, and cpu is leaps and bounds more advanced. I'd say 120 isn't out of the realm for this build.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
You could go with slower ram, unless you intend to underclock it and tighten the timings a bit. Personally I wouldn't go AMD. Intels have far better single thread performance. Comparing overall passmark scores doesn't show much difference between the two. $40 saved on the CPU will net you 300 more passmark score, which is negligible at best.

As far as fps is concerned, let me put your parts you've chosen into context; I'm running the same gpu, but with a 6 year old c2quad and ddr2 memory, and I don't dip below 80fps on a well established world. Your chosen build roughly doubles my passmark score, has memory that runs at a much higher clock, and cpu is leaps and bounds more advanced. I'd say 120 isn't out of the realm for this build.
So I could swap to an i3 or Pentium 3rd or 4th gen and still have decent performance? And the RAM, I chose it because it was only slightly more expensive then the 1600s. Also wanted to be prepared for RAM heavy activities like encoding.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
So I could swap to an i3 or Pentium 3rd or 4th gen and still have decent performance? And the RAM, I chose it because it was only slightly more expensive then the 1600s. Also wanted to be prepared for RAM heavy activities like encoding.

I wouldn't go down to an i3, the quad core will help with your other processes like streaming and such. The ram isn't a bad choice, just that you won't see any benefit if you keep stock settings using that ram over a slower set.

The benefit of running a faster set of memory is the ability to underclock it and tighten your memory timing. You will see better performance than you would running the slower clockspeed ram, because while you could tighten the timings of that slower ram, it will probably need more vdimm to remain stable. I prefer underclocking memory because you already know it's rated at X mhz, so if you run it at less than that, you can get away with a bit more. :)

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I got a better $500 dollar gaming pc build. Here

Hope that helps.
That processor is the anniversary edition of the pentium. Decent processor, but definitely not better than what he has chosen. Same with the memory...in this video you have linked, he's got ddr3-1600. It's decent memory and will run the system just fine at stock speeds, but you've got that unlocked pentium processor in that build. Why put an unlocked processor which is designed for overclocking into a build with slow ram? The fact that it is unlocked is that cpu's only saving grace in today's world of hardware.

edit: and that power supply the guy has in the video..smh. If I were to put together an upgrade based on the G3258 (because this isn't a full system build ITT), it would look something like this. If it's running less than 4.5ghz on stock cooling something is wrong with the power quality in your house, or you live in an oven.

Last edited:

AdmiralKirov

Jul 29, 2019

If you want a flexible rig with high performances and a very high prise/performances ratio, forget anything under a top tier I5, an I3 today is a waste of money in my opinion.
I would advise you to get an AMD Fx6300 or Fx83** CPU, speaking of price, an FX-8350 Black Edition (Overclockable) should cost about 180USD, speaking of performances, I have seen my 8320 converting a 9GB FHD screen capture (Fraps AVI) in MP4 in about 15 minutes, while "lagging" a little in single threaded applications in multi-core and multi tasking it is a monster, it also runs an FTB monster world pretty good :p. (Also, AMD APUs can be a cheap and powerfull choice)
Take a look at the various AMD motherboards, with similar prices as the one you chose I' ve been able to find some nice pieces of hardware, 6x SATA 6Gb/s, 4 DDR-3 slots, countless USBs, USB 3.0 and AM3+/FM* sockets, which can mount about any AMD CPU :D
Be careful, mind your PSU quality, defective or dirty cheap PSUs can make a lot of damage!

DarkIron987

Jul 29, 2019
That processor is the anniversary edition of the pentium. Decent processor, but definitely not better than what he has chosen. Same with the memory...in this video you have linked, he's got ddr3-1600. It's decent memory and will run the system just fine at stock speeds, but you've got that unlocked pentium processor in that build. Why put an unlocked processor which is designed for overclocking into a build with slow ram? The fact that it is unlocked is that cpu's only saving grace in today's world of hardware.

edit: and that power supply the guy has in the video..smh. If I were to put together an upgrade based on the G3258 (because this isn't a full system build ITT), it would look something like this. If it's running less than 4.5ghz on stock cooling something is wrong with the power quality in your house, or you live in an oven.
I own a G3258 and I am running it with a 290x. It's not over lock and there's no bottlekenicking. But this build is 100% for gaming.

AdmiralKirov

Jul 29, 2019
Still it' s a mediocre CPU, it makes very little sense to me tu buy obsolete hardware today, when even minecraft is evolving to support multi threading

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I own a G3258 and I am running it with a 290x. It's not over lock and there's no bottlekenicking. But this build is 100% for gaming.
Not even talking about bottlnecking. You would need to overclock something to bottleneck anything, and you would have to overclock a substantial amount to even do that. That build is for last-gen gaming, it will not stand the test of time, at least not without a heavy overclock.

Currently I've got an i5. As jiggaman-z would say, If your g3258 is stock I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but performance aint one. I mean, realtalk, my "old" PC out in the garage is a 7 year old Q9400 and benchmarks almost as high as the G3258. There is no reason to invest any money at this point in time in that particular processor, especially for a "100% for gaming" machine. #realtalk.

DarkIron987

Jul 29, 2019
Not even talking about bottlnecking. You would need to overclock something to bottleneck anything, and you would have to overclock a substantial amount to even do that. That build is for last-gen gaming, it will not stand the test of time, at least not without a heavy overclock.

Currently I've got an i5. As jiggaman-z would say, If your g3258 is stock I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but performance aint one. I mean, realtalk, my "old" PC out in the garage is a 7 year old Q9400 and benchmarks almost as high as the G3258. There is no reason to invest any money at this point in time in that particular processor, especially for a "100% for gaming" machine. #realtalk.
Dude. Games don't use many cores and they need at least 3 ghz. I talk to some PC pros and they say its fine at stock. If you buy a hyper 212 evo like my IRL build you can overclock to 4.7 GHz.

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
If you spend $20 more on a better motherboard, you won't regret it.
Motherboards seem like a waste of money when you could spend it on a better CPU or graphics card, sure, but if you're buying a motherboard with a 1600MHz FSB it'll just slow down the rest of your system.
And of course if you need to change to a better motherboard later, then you gotta rebuild the system.
If you ever want to overclock, then you'll be needing a Z-series motherboard. Or at least something that's not so cheap.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
If you want a flexible rig with high performances and a very high prise/performances ratio, forget anything under a top tier I5, an I3 today is a waste of money in my opinion.
I would advise you to get an AMD Fx6300 or Fx83** CPU, speaking of price, an FX-8350 Black Edition (Overclockable) should cost about 180USD, speaking of performances, I have seen my 8320 converting a 9GB FHD screen capture (Fraps AVI) in MP4 in about 15 minutes, while "lagging" a little in single threaded applications in multi-core and multi tasking it is a monster, it also runs an FTB monster world pretty good :p. (Also, AMD APUs can be a cheap and powerfull choice)
Take a look at the various AMD motherboards, with similar prices as the one you chose I' ve been able to find some nice pieces of hardware, 6x SATA 6Gb/s, 4 DDR-3 slots, countless USBs, USB 3.0 and AM3+/FM* sockets, which can mount about any AMD CPU :D
Be careful, mind your PSU quality, defective or dirty cheap PSUs can make a lot of damage!
If you spend $20 more on a better motherboard, you won't regret it.
Motherboards seem like a waste of money when you could spend it on a better CPU or graphics card, sure, but if you're buying a motherboard with a 1600MHz FSB it'll just slow down the rest of your system.
And of course if you need to change to a better motherboard later, then you gotta rebuild the system.
If you ever want to overclock, then you'll be needing a Z-series motherboard. Or at least something that's not so cheap.
I'll keep both of these in mind. Right now I'm looking at making a cheap build by using an AMD A10-7700K, using two 4 gig 2133 RAM sticks, and cutting out the graphics card since the A10 has a decent graphics card(can run shaders at about 30 FPS). Whole build is 370 dollars.
However, I'm doing this mostly to tide myself over until I get up the money for a serious PC build. I'll still be working on an intel i5 build. Just, not as restricted by money.

DarkIron987

Jul 29, 2019
I'd rather build it myself. I save roughly 50/60% by building it and guarantee the quality of what I'm buying.
If you can connect two cables and use a screwdriver you can make a PC :p

An APU is a good chioce if you have fast RAM which is in 8GB of capacity. 4GB ain't gonna cut it for an APU. I usually look for APU RAM which has 2133 MHz and is 8GB. Also, make sure the motherboard supports faster RAM. Most motherboards which do support faster RAM can be pricey.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
If you can connect two cables and use a screwdriver you can make a PC :p

An APU is a good chioce if you have fast RAM which is in 8GB of capacity. 4GB ain't gonna cut it for an APU. I usually look for APU RAM which has 2133 MHz and is 8GB. Also, make sure the motherboard supports faster RAM. Most motherboards which do support faster RAM can be pricey.
Well I did say 2 sticks of 4 gigabyte RAM at 2133. :p

CrusherTechnologies

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to cut corners super duper much you can use
AMD A10 7850k $169.00
AMD R7 250 (Gigabyte) It has no fan, but stays cool $89.99
Rest of it is fine
APUs need faster/better ram to squeeze out performance (Or at least that is the myth)
I for one have not tested this however it is BF4 tested at medium 50-60 fps
Minecraft FTB is most likely not as demanding as a 64 player shoot em up game