Java 8 support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
I'm hoping launcher would keep itself working with Java 8 too. So far it's worked smoothly for me for very long time, but i hear some others have had issues with it. If i recall the launcher refused to start minecraft because of a minor hint from Java, caused by deprecated parameter -XX: PermSize. Java 8 does not want it when starting up, but it still works if you do have it. So is it FTB launcher being too picky with errors so to not even try to launch game? I don't know how you would go and remove the -XX: PermSize that launcher wants to auto-add, as there are no options for it.

edit: Spaces after XX: because : + P = :p

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013

progwml6

Launcher Dev
Launcher Developer
Mod Developer
Nov 15, 2013
the latest version of java 8 doesn't work with forge at the moment, this is being worked on for 1.7.10 packs. regarding the permgen parameters, the java message is that the parameter is useless

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
Latest doesn't, but downgrade to anything before build 20, they do work and much better than any Java 7 i might add.

Pascal van Ratingen

Jul 29, 2019
Since today the Java 8 version is standard, so why does the launcher not work? Here it just stops each time i try to start the launcher. Java 7 is no longer supported by oracle?

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
You should use Java 7 for now, here (i've found that there are 1.7.10 mods too that may have conflicts with Java 8)
http://java.com/en/download/manual_java7.jsp
get the 64-bit if possible. In the FTB launcher, go Options tab, and then Advanced options button. Set Java Path to
C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe

You have them both installed then, and 8 should be default for most apps. There is a java config in your system control panel to select default Java.

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
You should use Java 7 for now, here (i've found that there are 1.7.10 mods too that may have conflicts with Java 8)
Have you reported broken mods to threir developers? Otoh java 8u20 and newer conflict with all 1.6 and 1.7 packs untill...

Since today the Java 8 version is standard, so why does the launcher not work? Here it just stops each time i try to start the launcher. Java 7 is no longer supported by oracle?

Please stop spreading FUD.
  1. http://java.com/en/download/faq/java_7.xml
  2. Launcher has always worked with java 8. Problem is in LWJGL(launcher tries to use older java to circumvent that bug) if running with OS X and in java 8/FML if using java 8u20 or newer.
New launcher version will contain fix for FML's java 8 bug, ETA soonish. ETA for LWJGL fix unkown. (fix is already commit in upstream but no new release yet)

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
I have no problems with java 8

Sent from some stupid phone using tappatalk kappa

Terry Schoenhals

Jul 29, 2019
http://java.com/en/download/manual_java7.jsp
get the 64-bit if possible. In the FTB launcher, go Options tab, and then Advanced options button. Set Java Path to
C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe

You have them both installed then, and 8 should be default for most apps. There is a java config in your system control panel to select default Java.
Appreciate the post was able to delete 8 and have only 7 now it works again.

Zaflis

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed i posted that long time ago. 1.6.4 packs and older may still experience issues with Java 8, but 1.7.10 is ok.

splashblue

Jul 29, 2019
1.7.10 still crashes after 2-3 hours when using java 8, at least with my settings. However, at least it's playable fps-wise, so live with it.

M

mikel213

i did downgrade my java and dont have the permsize message no more but i still have this problem

We appear to be missing one or more essential library files.
You will need to add them to your server before FML and Forge will run successfully.java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.run(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:25)
at cpw.mods.fml.relauncher.ServerLaunchWrapper.main(ServerLaunchWrapper.java:12)
Exiting...
Press any key to continue . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.