Request Best Mods?

Salamileg9

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing, really. Every mod is meant to do something, in it's own way. For example, Ars Magica and Thaumcraft are both magic mods, however they are incomparable because they have two vastly different main mechanics.

Reactions: 1SDAN and RedBoss

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I will tell you my favorite mods by category.

Realism: Rotary Craft hands down.
Nuclear power: Reactorcraft.
Simplicity: Thermal Expansion.
Item transport: Logistics pipes
Item storage: Applied Energistics
Utilities: Extra Utilities
Recipes: NEI
Magic: Blood Magic/Thaumcraft
Many machines: IC2/Gregtech

Ocker

Jul 29, 2019
I have a favorite mod and I have not played with it yet - have a look at EnderIO, Dire did a 3 part mod spotlight on it. It will have a huge impact on the item, fluid and power transfer systems - being able to have all 3 plus redstone controls within 1 block spaces, brilliant!, and much more. I can't wait to see what he does with it in Let's play season 7

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
GregTech...

*drops a can of kerosine*

But no... You can't just drop such a general question like that, it's not fair.

No such thing. "Best" is subjective. Different people will consider different mods "best". Find the ones you like and have fun.

It's not that subjective.
Well it is a bit, but in any collection of mods there will always be standouts in different genres, some will be liked more often by more people. Those mods could be what you would call "the best".

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I like Wagon's idea of a favorite mod per category. So here is mine:

Realism: RotaryCraft
Nuclear power: BigReactors (for when I'm lazy and just want power) / ReactorCraft (although I haven't actually tried it yet :)
Item storage: Applied Energistics
Magic: Thaumcraft
Machines and conduits: EnderIO

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft and Twilight Forest: Both win on sheer amount of content, with big-budget quality art and code.

Reactions: Vasa

Chaka

FTB Team
Mod Developer
Retired Staff
Dec 24, 2013
New Jersey
The BackWoods mod and ae2 qnd thermal expansion

Sent from some stupid phone using tappatalk kappa

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft and Twilight Forest: Both win on sheer amount of content, with big-budget quality art and code.
++
Mekanism - good tech mod
Railcraft - rails are cool
Minechem - who doesnt like chemistry
TinkersCon - tool customization
EnchantView - i dont like random enchantments, this mod is must have for me :D

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft and Thermal Expansion, basically. To me, those two mods set the foundation for modded minecraft. Although, I would probably end up bored quickly if it was only those two in my pack. Neither of them are perfect though. Thaumcraft can be incredibly tedious without other mods to speed things along, and the whole research/warp features are like punishment which is why I disable them in the config. And Thermal Expansion on its own hardly does anything at all. But both of them have excellent gadgets and the crafting recipes are usually pretty fun to follow as long as you arent doing infusion altar recipes one after another.

A close second in the tech mod department would be Mekanism. Its got a lot of easy to make, fun to use machines. But almost everything in the mod seems slightly...off. In the way of the old universal electricity mods never quite meshed with everything else around them. The textures are by default, 32x while default minecraft is 16x. And as much as I like playing around with fluids and item pipes, the addition of gasses seems like overkill to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jadedcat and Vasa

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Define "Best"
Best looking? Most fun? Best performance? Most unique? Dev you adore/respect.

Number of hours played?
(Remembering server I'm on lost the counter after I passed 500 hours, I'm probably passed the 700 mark by now. SSP+ other servers; probably 1200-1500 hours sunk into a single mod.)

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019
The best mod is this one ;)
10514561_709175809157992_7062079478078443000_n.jpg

Reactions: LivingAngryCheese

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
The best mods are the ones I play :p They are the best to my tastes, although there are plenty more out there that are excellent.

Reactions: RedBoss