Space Engine

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
Space Engine (this is entirely different from Kerbal Space Program) is more of an educational tool than a game, but this software is packed full of features and things that will blow your mind.

This is basically an application that contains a realistic, full 3D model of space that you can explore and check out. It's based on real astronomical information, in fact it's so realistic that you can utilise it as a tool for astronomy if you're into stargazing. I have already used this program to identify stars and planets in the sky at night without using a telescope because I don't have the money to buy one.

Even better? It's free for download (yes it's legit freeware) on the Space Engine website. If you haven't downloaded or heard of the Space Engine program, I seriously recommend you try it out. The fact that it's freeware alone is amazing, because the software feels like it's worth at least a three-figure pricetag.

I feel like I'm a salesperson trying to sell a product, but for real it's one of the best pieces of software I've used, and the fact that it's free for download means I gotta tell you guys about it.

http://en.spaceengine.org/

Kane Hart

Jul 29, 2019
The game seems to be more at this time a glorified exploring simulator. Man if some how this and Space Engineers had a Baby....

TheMechEngineer

Jul 29, 2019
The game seems to be more at this time a glorified exploring simulator. Man if some how this and Space Engineers had a Baby....

Yeah it's not a game yet, just a simulator.
It's made by one person who only runs on donations, and I think on the website he says that he might add gameplay features if certain donation levels are reached.
Personally I'm not hanging for a game to come out of it though....that'd be pretty epic but it's already a great piece of software as it is. I consider anything added from now on as a bonus.

Kane Hart

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah it's not a game yet, just a simulator.
It's made by one person who only runs on donations, and I think on the website he says that he might add gameplay features if certain donation levels are reached.
Personally I'm not hanging for a game to come out of it though....that'd be pretty epic but it's already a great piece of software as it is. I consider anything added from now on as a bonus.
It's amazing. The trailers just even more amazing. I hope he considers taking further and kickstarting it etc. Because honestly he could retire on something like this if he plays his cards right.

Reactions: TheMechEngineer