FTB to partner with Nerd Kingdom to help develop TUG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
Absolutely going to open up to some more platforms. DX11 for our first iteration was very intentional to test limitations and see how we can scale back.... so yea... We will likely be able to open up to DX10 as well as soon as we start the port to OpenGL3.
Perhaps a translation is in order? Does that mean yes to Mac and Linux? And when isthat meant to be?

ingie

Jul 29, 2019
Absolutely going to open up to some more platforms. DX11 for our first iteration was very intentional to test limitations and see how we can scale back.... so yea... We will likely be able to open up to DX10 as well as soon as we start the port to OpenGL3.

this is great news... as a penguin sympathiser, i'll await your OpenGL version - but as someone posted above, do you have a roadmap/milestone - are you already in the development planning for OpenGL3, or is a while away yet?
i.e. do you currently feel that port be this year, or next ? if it's this year, ace... if next, i'll probably forget about it [ not in a "sod you" way, i mean i'll literally forget about it and dire will have to do another showcase of it or something :D ]

i do really like the look of it though, especially the physics n stuff - and, of course, the modability... i've pretty much mastered lua [which as a long time software dev, i feel is very underrated, considering its first class functions and functional programming power] due to dan's wonderful computercraft and sangar's opencomputers... and it'd be nice to get my hands into something which looks forward beyond minecraft's styleee

Gamingjg

Jul 29, 2019
Cool. Looks like it could be a winner, played a bit and decided to buy it to support further development. I'm looking forward to it's fleshing out.

BaxtorUK

Jul 29, 2019
Oh my, how many more of these partenerships are we going to see, they get announced then you never here anything more about them.
It seems whatever FTB get's involved in, never get's carried to fruition,
Instead of trying to diversify all the time, I think they would be best served concentrating on what put them where they are today.
As it stands now they have fallen way behind the curve on modpacks,
and if wasn't for jadedcat and agrarian skies carrying them, they would be virtually non existent

sisho

Jul 29, 2019
Oh my, how many more of these partenerships are we going to see, they get announced then you never here anything more about them.
It seems whatever FTB get's involved in, never get's carried to fruition,
Instead of trying to diversify all the time, I think they would be best served concentrating on what put them where they are today.
As it stands now they have fallen way behind the curve on modpacks,
and if wasn't for jadedcat and agrarian skies carrying them, they would be virtually non existent

People have jobs and lives outside of these modpacks and FTB in general. They also work on these packs and the launcher for free! Don't act so entitled. I have already played a LOT of 1.7.10 packs out there, whether they be 3rd party packs on the FTB launcher or the "modpacks" on the AT Launcher. From my experience there are precious few that are actually well made, mostly bug free and actually fun. Most of them are just a jumble of thrown together mods. That does not make a modpack, if I wanted that I could do it myself within an hour easily, especially since you barely need to tweak configs since 1.7.10 as well. From what I know of the upcoming official FTB 1.7.10 modpacks they promise to be WAY better than anything we've seen from any other modpack lately. Also, what you have to say has nothing to do with this thread, you might try reading the thread title or something.

Now then back on topic! I've been watching TUG since its Kickstarter. I don't know what kind of situation you're in specifically slowpoke but I hope that even if you are not working for them that you continue to work with them and advise them on things concerning mods. I know from what I've seen TUG has amazing modding potential and I am very much looking forward to seeing what it is capable of.

BaxtorUK

Jul 29, 2019
People have jobs and lives outside of these modpacks and FTB in general. They also work on these packs and the launcher for free! Don't act so entitled. I have already played a LOT of 1.7.10 packs out there, whether they be 3rd party packs on the FTB launcher or the "modpacks" on the AT Launcher. From my experience there are precious few that are actually well made, mostly bug free and actually fun. Most of them are just a jumble of thrown together mods. That does not make a modpack, if I wanted that I could do it myself within an hour easily, especially since you barely need to tweak configs since 1.7.10 as well. From what I know of the upcoming official FTB 1.7.10 modpacks they promise to be WAY better than anything we've seen from any other modpack lately. Also, what you have to say has nothing to do with this thread, you might try reading the thread title or something.

Now then back on topic! I've been watching TUG since its Kickstarter. I don't know what kind of situation you're in specifically slowpoke but I hope that even if you are not working for them that you continue to work with them and advise them on things concerning mods. I know from what I've seen TUG has amazing modding potential and I am very much looking forward to seeing what it is capable of.

Why is it every time a post is made that critizes ftb in any way these white knights come out with there entitlement crap, I have not played a ftb pack since unleashed I feel in no way entitled, the only reason I got here was from the launcher when I checked to see if there was an update to TPPI, which by the way I do not class as an ftb pack.
The best part of your post was "From what I know of the upcoming official FTB 1.7.10 modpacks they promise to be WAY better than anything we've seen from any other modpack lately"
You know absolutely nothing of the upcoming packs, atm they are vaporware, yet you proclaim they will be way better than anything we have seen, would that be like monster was way better than any of the other 1.64 packs?

I also stand by my point that jadedcat has carried FTB for along time now.

PS: if you would like a decent 1.7.10 pack to play give the DNS Tech Pack a shot it's great :)

sisho

Jul 29, 2019
Why is it every time a post is made that critizes ftb in any way these white knights come out with there entitlement crap, I have not played a ftb pack since unleashed I feel in no way entitled, the only reason I got here was from the launcher when I checked to see if there was an update to TPPI, which by the way I do not class as an ftb pack.
The best part of your post was "From what I know of the upcoming official FTB 1.7.10 modpacks they promise to be WAY better than anything we've seen from any other modpack lately"
You know absolutely nothing of the upcoming packs, atm they are vaporware, yet you proclaim they will be way better than anything we have seen, would that be like monster was way better than any of the other 1.64 packs?

I also stand by my point that jadedcat has carried FTB for along time now.

PS: if you would like a decent 1.7.10 pack to play give the DNS Tech Pack a shot it's great :)

Actually I'm an alpha tester for a few of the packs as well as speaking to a couple of the modpack creators on a regular basis, so don't tell me what I don't know lol.

Also, I hated the monster pack, if it wasn't quite clear in my post above stating my opinion on the jumbled mods thrown together in a pack. I much prefer packs like Agrarian Skies, Bloodnbones, Magic Farm, etc. You know, packs with real substance.

BaxtorUK

Jul 29, 2019
I absolutely loved Agararian Skies. probably my favourite pack of all time, and I cannot wait for the 1.7.10 version.
Jadedcat is very talented when it comes to modpacks, but I do still stand by my point that FTB as a whole has lost is way.

sisho

Jul 29, 2019
They are working hard on the new packs, but it takes time to make a great quality modpack that has as few issues as possible. Like I said they have real jobs and lives, and they can't constantly work on stuff like this. I always advise the 3rd party modpack section. There are a few 1.7.10 modpacks there now that are pretty stable. I mean just think...Agrarian Skies did not even come out until almost the end of the 1.6.4 life cycle, but we're nowhere close to having 1.8 modpacks anytime soon and yet the 1.7 modpacks are right around the corner.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
I absolutely loved Agararian Skies. probably my favourite pack of all time, and I cannot wait for the 1.7.10 version.
Jadedcat is very talented when it comes to modpacks, but I do still stand by my point that FTB as a whole has lost is way.

So the same people that make the style of packs you like, are the same people that release the FTB packs. Yet we have lost our way. It's a pity you feel this way.

There are two of us that have the ultimate decision on packs. That is currently Jadedcat and myself. Up until the end of 1.6 we didn't allow packs like our private packs as FTB packs. Now that packs are far easier for people to make, that won't be the case.

Prior to this "ease of creation," transition we are moving into, packs stylized like our "3rd party" packs were considered a bit on the edge because of the changes involved. Especially when dealing with reports to mod authors. Now that we have more tools at our disposal and mod authors that have become increasingly open about customization (face it, all of us that dev could see and feel how stagnant packs had become,) you won't see Monster style packs anymore. The type of packs you will be getting, however, will be like our private packs now. We coin them as "Gamepacks" because they go beyond a simple modpack.

Doing this, however, means things also take longer. We restructured a few things and now have another team directly below Jaded and I to help facilitate things after the initial phases are complete. I'm also working on changing how we build and push packs. DW20 is already mostly facilitated in this system, but the system is still not complete.

Expanding beyond that, the partnership with Curse will be moving forward in great steps soon. The wiki should be the first thing you'll notice as that will be moving onto Gamepedia and we will also be doing wikis specific to packs. This will greatly help players to find things for the more involved Gamepacks.

After that, we have the next iteration of Curse Client, which is just sexy. Modpack support is but one of some of the awesome features coming very soon. Mod authors will be able to get full reward points from FTB packs once we transition over, no more need to hide behind adfly.

At the risk of sounding egotistical, the awesome packs you see comming out wouldn't be happening if it had not been for Jaded and I. Minetweaker wouldn't be so prevalent had I not dragged it out to show people how much could be done with such an awesome tool. HQM probably wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Jaded wanting it.

Basically, we looked at the status quo of packs and said, "This shit sucks." Mod devs heard us and went, "We agree, but what can we do?" We showed them what we wanted and they made it happen. New pack makers showed up and said, "This is awesome, but can we get X?"

And beautiful things have been made by the community since.

And many many more will come.

TL;DR

Don't mistake the cocoon for a rock.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Expanding beyond that, the partnership with Curse will be moving forward in great steps soon. The wiki should be the first thing you'll notice as that will be moving onto Gamepedia and we will also be doing wikis specific to packs. This will greatly help players to find things for the more involved Gamepacks.
Just posting to say that Eya means there will be wiki articles for changes in standards for each pack, not entirely new wikis per pack :p

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Just posting to say that Eya means there will be wiki articles for changes in standards for each pack, not entirely new wikis per pack :p

Umm no. My packs are getting their own wiki.

Its already started, and it will link back to FTB for default stuff. But third party non default pack changes don't fit the main wiki. And my packs are getting to the point I need a centralized location.

Reactions: PhilHibbs
Status
Not open for further replies.