Anyone else watching the MC "Snapshots"?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I sure hope not. I would rather mod authors follow the actions of Mojang and take a version to work on performance. Imagine for a second that playing Monster had roughly the same FPS as vanilla.

That is because the Mojang employee that posted his FPS at the 32 chunk render distance is running a very high end machine with a i7 4770K and GTX 780. Its totally unreasonable to expect the average person to spend more than $900 on a computer just to hit that FPS.

I'm running an 8-core AMD FX-8350@4Ghz w/8GB of ram running @ 2Ghz... My video card doesn't have as much on-board ram as cards even 2 years old which is probably the render bottleneck.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I'm inclined to agree- a lot of the gameplay/design (all the 'stuff' we 'see/play') added has somewhat been sub-par, uninteresting and sometimes just absolute crap.
Better off cutting it out and leaving it to die.

However the internal changes- those proverbial nutshots to the modded community in the name of 'helping' us- might actually work
- which makes it worthwhile in the long run, but right now Minecraft is effectively in a state of perpetual alpha.

dalekslayer96

Jul 29, 2019
I'm inclined to agree- a lot of the gameplay/design (all the 'stuff' we 'see/play') added has somewhat been sub-par, uninteresting and sometimes just absolute crap.
Better off cutting it out and leaving it to die.

However the internal changes- those proverbial nutshots to the modded community in the name of 'helping' us- might actually work
- which makes it worthwhile in the long run, but right now Minecraft is effectively in a state of perpetual alpha.
I've always wondered why Mojang counts Minecraft as in full release, when it's constantly being updated. And honestly, I don't see their mod API coming out anytime soon. So I personally am against Mojang constantly updating the game. Just leave it at 1.8.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is that even if they released the mod api now it would be meaning less with out a stable code base behind it. As when ever they rewrote part of the game to clean up the code they would have to rewrite the api and break all mods again anyway. Plus with the way the game is written now it will be extremely difficult to even make a stable api for it.

Which is why they are currently doing a massive rewrite of the game bit by bit to create a stable code base for the api to make sense.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I don't follow snapshots because I personally think that so far all versions after 1.6.4 are crap. So... yeah.

I'm curious why you think so. Before Is started playing Mods I first played 1.6.4 (1.6.2 for a very short time) and after that moved to 1.7.4 and I absolutely loved the changes. I've seen other people comment on this as well but I never understood why 1.7 wasn't received as well as 1.6.4 (after of course the few annoying bugs in 1.7.2 and so were resolved with the eggs all over the place, including the nether :) )

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Why not just start over from scratch?
- build 'Minecraft II' -fully redesigned/reengineered with modding/API in mind.

I actually started making my own Minecraft lookalike thing some time ago. With the engine written in C++ and the higher level stuff in python and a plugin/mod system that allowed both C++/python mods.

The chunk system worked but not much game stuff.

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
I actually started making my own Minecraft lookalike thing some time ago. With the engine written in C++ and the higher level stuff in python and a plugin/mod system that allowed both C++/python mods.

The chunk system worked but not much game stuff.
It better have been called "Craft & Mine" :p

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like the next snap shot was released (14w31a) and the big news is that 1.8 is now feature complete. Which means that any additional snap shots will be focused on bug fixes in preparation for the release candidate.

Now as for this snap shot it appears to be mostly bug fixes with very few minor features. However it does have a very note worthy addition in the form of experimental mob AI threading. Which will greatly help performance when you have a lot of mobs around you a long with helping out those who use a lot of mods that add new mobs.

Personally I feel that by the time all the mods are ready for 1.7.10 and the official FTB packs are released it will be time to start migrating to 1.8 :(

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Entity AI multi-threading is almost useless for moderately powerful clients, servers are going to be very happy though. On a totally fresh vanilla 1.6.4 world 90% of the tick time was entities.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I feel that by the time all the mods are ready for 1.7.10 and the official FTB packs are released it will be time to start migrating to 1.8 :(
IMO, stable 1.7.10 packs will be possible within 2-3 weeks, maybe less. Meanwhile, it will be quite some time before we even get MCP, let alone Forge for 1.8.