ReactorCraft - Early reactors

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Axylxys

Jul 29, 2019
Some good infos above, thanks !

And a question i'm hoping someone more experienced with Reactorcraft can answer, what's the average duration of uranium fuel pellets in a fission reactor fuel core ? I'm trying to get a feeling of how many pellets i need and what kind of infrastructure is enough to sustain a first reactor indefinitely (probably going with a 3x3 setup), but it's just too slow to sit there and wait in a solo test world...

And by the way Reika, cheers, Rotarycraft and Reactorcraft are awesome and renewed my interest into the game, even if i'm still in an old version and waiting for the Monster pack updates :(

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Some good infos above, thanks !

And a question i'm hoping someone more experienced with Reactorcraft can answer, what's the average duration of uranium fuel pellets in a fission reactor fuel core ? I'm trying to get a feeling of how many pellets i need and what kind of infrastructure is enough to sustain a first reactor indefinitely (probably going with a 3x3 setup), but it's just too slow to sit there and wait in a solo test world...

And by the way Reika, cheers, Rotarycraft and Reactorcraft are awesome and renewed my interest into the game, even if i'm still in an old version and waiting for the Monster pack updates :(

I can only give you a ballpark based on memory. In a 3x3 grid, 9 pellets (1 per core) seemed to last at least 30 minutes. Possibly twice that. Not half that.

They produced around 5-6TJ total power. This is a very large amount of for most folks.

@Reika, feel better soon.

Axylxys

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, looks like i won't have to wait for a huge pile of pellets to start fiddling with that :)

Axylxys

Jul 29, 2019
I'm planning to, yes, currently too busy moving my base to a new place but i'll start processing uranium in a few days :) The breeder caught my eye as well but it seems more complicated and harder to manage since i have no true experience so far with reactorcraft.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm inclined to agree. The regular reactor was much simpler. And you'll be getting enough refined uranium that you shouldn't really care too much about breeders.

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
I'm planning to, yes, currently too busy moving my base to a new place but i'll start processing uranium in a few days :) The breeder caught my eye as well but it seems more complicated and harder to manage since i have no true experience so far with reactorcraft.

To be honest if I sum up what I know about reactor craft I would start with this mode much early in the game instead of magnetostatics and Gas Turbines. The easiest but powerful is a pebble-bed reactor that does not require sophisticated infrastructure and rare resources. Next time when I play from scratch I will focus on reactor craft in very begging, especially, I hope, ElectriCraft will be more mature that can rectify challenges with distribution and storage energy.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
To be honest if I sum up what I know about reactor craft I would start with this mode much early in the game instead of magnetostatics and Gas Turbines. The easiest but powerful is a pebble-bed reactor that does not require sophisticated infrastructure and rare resources. Next time when I play from scratch I will focus on reactor craft in very begging, especially, I hope, ElectriCraft will be more mature that can rectify challenges with distribution and storage energy.
ElectriCraft keeps throwing up obstacles to my using it. I tried to in my early game, but the early batteries are so non-useful that its impossible for me to justify wasting diamonds on them.

Instead, I'm hoarding up diamonds until I can make a single nether-star (Auroral) Battery.

This would work much better for players if we could recycle some of the early-tier battery resources. But I'm never, ever going to waste even a single diamond on, say, a lapis battery which outputs a measly 256KW.

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
ElectriCraft keeps throwing up obstacles to my using it.

ElectriCraft is in very early stage of development so all is in front of us. The wonderful feature that you can distribute shaft power in the same way as with Conduits without focusing on generating lubricant. Do not forget Reika demonstrated transfer power with portals, so it will be easier to separate production and consumption of RotaryCraft machines.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
ElectriCraft is in very early stage of development so all is in front of us. The wonderful feature that you can distribute shaft power in the same way as with Conduits without focusing on generating lubricant. Do not forget Reika demonstrated transfer power with portals, so it will be easier to separate production and consumption of RotaryCraft machines.
@ScorpioOld,

I'm currently running a slightly more fuel-efficient regular fission reactor than normal.

By leveraging neutron reflectors, I've run so far run 30% of a full cycle of 6 uranium pellets at the same power output as a 9-pellet 3x3 grid.

R-Reflector
B-Boiler
C-Core

__RRR__
__BBB__
RBCCCBR
RBCCCBR
__BBB__
__RRR__

It has the added bonus of not really needing any concrete or other shielding: neutron reflectors seem to be 100% efficient at intercepting neutrons, or close enough.

Efficiency assumes you're only using one 5-piece turbine. Its conceivable you can run more with a 3x3 grid, which would be overall more efficient than mine.

FYI I couldn't sustain 100C reliably using a 2x2 grid with reflectors.

Axylxys

Jul 29, 2019
Do you mean ic2 neutron deflectors ? Or is it a thing from Electricraft (playing on Monster so i don't have it) ?
Are there other devices from various mods working with the reactors ? I've never tried nuclear stuff before as it didn't look fun enough with ic2/Gregtech so i'm clueless about what sort of systems can interact with Reactorcraft.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Do you mean ic2 neutron deflectors ? Or is it a thing from Electricraft (playing on Monster so i don't have it) ?
Are there other devices from various mods working with the reactors ? I've never tried nuclear stuff before as it didn't look fun enough with ic2/Gregtech so i'm clueless about what sort of systems can interact with Reactorcraft.

There are neutron reflectors / deflectors (whichever they are, might even be absorbers) in ReactorCraft. And IIRC, Monster does have Electricraft installed.

Axylxys

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, the absorbers then ? I have those and tried them on a test world but didn't know what they did exactly, i thought Pyure was talking about a different block :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
There are both absorbers and reflectors. The absorber works more like a heat exchanger according to the manual. The reflector does exactly what you would hope it does: neutrons that "escape" your reactor instead have a chance to bounce back in and cause more reactions. Therefore, more reactions per core = more heat.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Also want to chime in to say, that I believe the reason you use sodium rather then normal boilers is because sodium heaters loos heat significantly slower then a normal water-boiler. This means less heat is being wasted, which is important for a breeder reactor.