Wiki stuffz, read this or else...

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
First of all, congratulations to all newcomers (go Santa!).

Secondly, I did a lil' research. I simply Googled 'Feed The Beast Wiki', something I'm sure all of you have done before. The results? The official Wiki was in 4th place. Certainly one heck of an improvement from the age of Jaded. Which shows that the Wiki had and continues to have a solid leadership and team. However, I am disappointed that this Wiki does not receive the attention it deserves. Slow owes it to the Wiki team to give them all the support they require and need. All their volunteered work will be in vain if this official Wiki does not surpass and out due the other unofficial Wikis. Why have people working on 3 different Wikis when instead they should focus on the official Wiki?

Reactions: Nerixel and Jinbobo

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Why have people working on 3 different Wikis when instead they should focus on the official Wiki?
At one point I asked a manager of an unofficial wiki (that I won't name) what it would take for them to merge with our wiki.
From memory, their terms were that they take over leadership of the wiki completely. I can't remember if they were willing to let the current staff stay or not.
They also weren't happy that anonymous contributions weren't allowed, but I think that's either being worked on or already available at this point on the official wiki (don't take this as official news or anything, please, I don't know stuff at all).

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
Those other Wikis continue to prosper because they continue to receive plenty of visits. If they lost the audience the quantity of articles would be reduced and so too people's desire to contribute. But in order for this Wiki to supersede the others it needs media attention, it needs to be presented to the masses, it needs to be placed on a pole and paraded about like a flag! But only a certain few have the capability to endorse and promote this Wiki. Namely, those of us with plenty of Youtube/Stream viewers, who also happen to be the face and voice of FTB, and the owner, and... well... you get where I'm going with this. I'm just poking the already thoroughly-poked dead fish with a shiny new stick.

pderuiter

Jul 29, 2019
Those other Wikis continue to prosper because they continue to receive plenty of visits. If they lost the audience the quantity of articles would be reduced and so too people's desire to contribute. But in order for this Wiki to supersede the others it needs media attention, it needs to be presented to the masses, it needs to be placed on a pole and paraded about like a flag! But only a certain few have the capability to endorse and promote this Wiki. Namely, those of us with plenty of Youtube/Stream viewers, who also happen to be the face and voice of FTB, and the owner, and... well... you get where I'm going with this. I'm just poking the already thoroughly-poked dead fish with a shiny new stick.
Don't poke too fast :p

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
... ok, I may have somewhat misinterpreted your point then :p

Jinbobo

Jul 29, 2019
... ok, I may have somewhat misinterpreted your point then :p
Failing as always
Kappa.png
btw I feel like coding today, gonna begin rewriting the extensions suck it

Reactions: Nerixel

RZR0

Jul 29, 2019
At one point I asked a manager of an unofficial wiki (that I won't name) what it would take for them to merge with our wiki.
From memory, their terms were that they take over leadership of the wiki completely. I can't remember if they were willing to let the current staff stay or not.
I just want to point out that we (the ftbwiki.org staff) don't know anything about this, we suspect that whoever you talked to about this was at best a contributor at the wiki, a rank which is easily obtained by anyone who contributes a substantial amount of content. Achieving this rank grants users additional privileges on the site, such as the ability to move or delete pages. The rank does not mean that their opinion in any way reflects the opinion of the staff of the website.

As for the wiki itself, our original reasoning for starting the website was the fact that the wiki provided by FTB contained little information and was not open to editing. We ourselves are FTB and Minecraft fans and love the work the FTB team has been doing. We continuously work to provide quality content to anyone who seeks it, and welcome any contributions to the site, whether it be by registered users or anonymous users who just want to correct some mistakes on the site.

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
I've sent a PM about the first part, seems more tactful to continue that in private.

As for the wiki itself, our original reasoning for starting the website was the fact that the wiki provided by FTB contained little information and was not open to editing.
Just in regards to this part, since the official wiki's now open for contributions, why not merge into it? (I'm asking purely out of personal interest, by the way). It just seems more efficient to have all the work directed towards one wiki.

Darth Sith

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, I can see that -_-
I just don't understand why they have the same profile pictures, and other stuff along those lines :p
I had it first so I would assume he either got it from me or found it the same place I did.

Edit - Well I change my mind he might have had it first as he has be here longer than me.