Are oil fabricators worth it?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GoldenGamerUK

Jul 29, 2019
Today in my ftb monster world, I was thinking about collecting some oil, as it seems like a thing that I haven't done, so after collecting some oil, I found this machine called the oil fabricator, I made it and hooked it up to its own power supply, which if your wondering is a forestry bio generator with ethanol being used, I have a glass fibre cable connecting to the fabricator and the generator, because conduits were having a problem connecting to the generator, and it produces a tiny bit of oil in exchange for alot of power (mines renewable, so I don't give a shit bout that)

Here's what I want to know, is there a better setup then I have now, and is there a better way of producing mass amounts of oil. (I want to refine it and have at least 5k+ buckets of it stored in a railcraft tank! Post your setups if you have one!!! Thanks!!

GoldenGamerUK

Jul 29, 2019
Make a Mystcraft oil age and you will be set for a very, very, very long time.
I'm not going to be using a mystcraft age like that, I will be making a mystcraft age for my base, just for the reason that I want higher frame rates, and a mystcraft age for quarrying, and if there is oil there, then it's a bonus!

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Better ways to get infinite oil? Assuming you mean "costs less energy" by Better, then nothing beats a Mystcraft age filled with oil, but dial that back a few notches and you go with a oil spring from BC and while it may not be fast, it's free and technically able to be moved if you're clever. AFAIK anyway, one can find ways to move them.

Reactions: Padfoote

GoldenGamerUK

Jul 29, 2019
Better ways to get infinite oil? Assuming you mean "costs less energy" by Better, then nothing beats a Mystcraft age filled with oil, but dial that back a few notches and you go with a oil spring from BC and while it may not be fast, it's free and technically able to be moved if you're clever. AFAIK anyway, one can find ways to move them.
Dafuq is AFAIK... Plus my world is dry of oil wells, none generated apart from one that I drained out.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Dafuq is AFAIK... Plus my world is dry of oil wells, none generated apart from one that I drained out.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=afaik&l=1

And Oil Springs are a block, from Buildcraft, that every now and then generate a block of oil fluid above it. Not often enough to be of use unless one finds a way to collect them, but still often enough that it happens. They generate under the largest of oil wells, afaik.

Have you ever seen those weird vents of water in the world when you use BC? Those have a water spring block at the bottom of them, making them somewhat useful in a game without infinite water from two source blocks correctly positioned.

GoldenGamerUK

Jul 29, 2019
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=afaik&l=1

And Oil Springs are a block, from Buildcraft, that every now and then generate a block of oil fluid above it. Not often enough to be of use unless one finds a way to collect them, but still often enough that it happens. They generate under the largest of oil wells, afaik.

Have you ever seen those weird vents of water in the world when you use BC? Those have a water spring block at the bottom of them, making them somewhat useful in a game without infinite water from two source blocks correctly positioned.
Or you could of just told me what it meant, and yes I've seen the thing you are talking about.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Or you could of just told me what it meant, and yes I've seen the thing you are talking about.
Or you could have googled it instead of asking me what it meant. Really, it's very easy, I mean, most browsers these days even have a search bar next to the url bar!

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Oil fabricators are horrible in terms of efficiency. The only reason to use them is if you need oil for something *other* than energy and have no other readily available source.

The best way to produce an infinite amount of oil is bees, IMHO. Once your infrastructure is in place it is a closed system requiring no input or maintenance.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Or you could have googled it instead of asking me what it meant. Really, it's very easy, I mean, most browsers these days even have a search bar next to the url bar!
That's only Firefox nowadays. ;) New age browsers have the URL be the search bar.
I wonder if a Digital Miner will harvest them?
I think you can Gravity Gun it if memory serves well. No idea though.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
That's only Firefox nowadays. ;) New age browsers have the URL be the search bar.

Get a theme for Firefox, it'll combine the two as well. ;)

I think you can Gravity Gun it if memory serves well. No idea though.

If so, that'll make collecting a bunch of oil wells fairly easy (well, after finding them).

Reactions: MoosyDoosy

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Just thought I'd add, the point of the oil fabricator isn't to produce power, it's to store it.

A single buildcraft tank full of fuel is incredibly energy dense, and the power it takes to create a bucket of fuel through the oil fabricator is the same as the amount it gives out in the combustion engine. It's designed to be energy neutral, not positive. (Although it used to be positive if used in a railcraft boiler)

TL;DR: You're using it wrong.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I guess in a world without energy cells, that might be useful. Hmmm.... I have an idea. BC energy builds up and explodes pipes when theres not enough energy demand which sucks big time. But say I use a legit oil spout/pump/combustion engines setup and had all of the excess power recycled into oil, the energy demand would always be constant and no more exploding pipes? ...Right? Would that just waste oil? I cant quite get my head around it but I dont think so.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Just thought I'd add, the point of the oil fabricator isn't to produce power, it's to store it.

A single buildcraft tank full of fuel is incredibly energy dense, and the power it takes to create a bucket of fuel through the oil fabricator is the same as the amount it gives out in the combustion engine. It's designed to be energy neutral, not positive. (Although it used to be positive if used in a railcraft boiler)

TL;DR: You're using it wrong.
Well said.
Also worth noting that one can come out energy positive if you're clever.(even without RC Boilers too)

It costs the same amount of energy to make the oil as you would get from using the fuel, minus the power needed to make it into fuel. So it's a big amount of energy cost, balanced by the fact that combined with the cost to make it into fuel with the refinery, you net zero extra power without tricks.
I have tricks, as do you, it seems.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I guess in a world without energy cells, that might be useful. Hmmm.... I have an idea. BC energy builds up and explodes pipes when theres not enough energy demand which sucks big time. But say I use a legit oil spout/pump/combustion engines setup and had all of the excess power recycled into oil, the energy demand would always be constant and no more exploding pipes? ...Right? Would that just waste oil? I cant quite get my head around it but I dont think so.
Unless there's loss in your transmission method, no it wouldn't waste oil

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Unless there's loss in your transmission method, no it wouldn't waste oil

Hmm, the only problem with my idea is converting the newly made oil back into fuel would be wasteful so I would either have to run off of pure oil or check to see if theres a fuel fabricator.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, the only problem with my idea is converting the newly made oil back into fuel would be wasteful so I would either have to run off of pure oil or check to see if theres a fuel fabricator.
No no, the cost of fabricating the oil is the amount of energy fuel produces - the cost of turning oil into fuel

So, say for instance Fuel produced 600,000 MJ in total for the burning, but took 40,000 MJ to produce fuel from oil, it takes 560,000 MJ to produce oil in the oil fabricator (560,000 + 40,000 = 600,000)

What I was meaning about the loss was if you're using a way to transmit power that had loss in it, that would cause it to not be energy neutral

Reactions: epidemia78