FTB - Curse FAQ (Help required)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
I am currently in the process of putting together a comprehensive FAQ with regards to the future of FTB and our partnership deal with Curse. If you have any questions you feel would be appropriate for this FAQ, could you please post them here and I will add as many of them as I can to the page.

Thanks.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
I don't know that this would have anything to do with the future of FTB and Curse, but why are there different versions of ores - example: ferrous - in mods? I thought all ores were supposedly unified under one label if they served the same purpose? Does the partnership with Curse and FTB plan on straightening out situations where ores are known differently to different mod authors?

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

ShadowHawk707

Nov 20, 2014
I don't know that this would have anything to do with the future of FTB and Curse, but why are there different versions of ores - example: ferrous - in mods? I thought all ores were supposedly unified under one label if they served the same purpose? Does the partnership with Curse and FTB plan on straightening out situations where ores are known differently to different mod authors?

Cheers ...

BrickVoid
Just because more than one version of an ore appears in NEI, it most good modpacks will only have one type of each ore generating in world. And all ores of the same type should be interchangeable through the forge ore dictionary. It also isn't FTB or curse's job to tell the mod developers what to do.

Alcheya

Jul 29, 2019
I am currently in the process of putting together a comprehensive FAQ with regards to the future of FTB and our partnership deal with Curse. If you have any questions you feel would be appropriate for this FAQ, could you please post them here and I will add as many of them as I can to the page.

Thanks.

Is there ever going to be monetization involved in the actual packs? Special features specific to ftb? "Premium only" or "premium first" updates to packs/contents that might put non-curse users off from continuing to use FTB?

Will a curse account ever be a requirement to continue using FTB?

Is my account information on the FTB forums now distributed to curse? Will the FTB forums eventually go to curse? (As the domain is still currently registered to slow.)

I've noticed that the changelogs and files are all hosted at curse now, is curse staff going to be involved in creating the packs?

Reactions: Pyure

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
I found a good question other people are having a problem with recently, and it is this: Will the Curse Voice client be updated to support searching for a specific mod within a pack? Other people want the ability to find out which mods are in a modpack but with the current form of the Curse Voice client, they are unable to do this.

Moving forward, I would most definitely want to know what mods are in a particular modpack, and if Curse Voice could do searches on mods in modpacks, then that would be a significant reason for me to consider changing over to it for all Curse or FTB modpacks I currently play.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
FTB initially started out proudly asking for and respecting modmaker permissions.
Given that a number of mod devs explicitly forbid monetisation [of the redistribution] of their work (such as in modpacks);
How will this effect FTB/Curse moving forward as a company in relation to their initial stance on permissions?
And in relation to FTB/Curse employees releasing packs?
And the Curse reward system?​

T

TheDapperScallywag

Are the modpacks that require a code still there? If so, how does one get to them? For example, I cannot find Crinklecraft: a World of Horror and I was very excited to try it out.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Are the modpacks that require a code still there? If so, how does one get to them? For example, I cannot find Crinklecraft: a World of Horror and I was very excited to try it out.

The pack needs to be a Curse Project, as packs on the FTB launcher aren't necessarily on the Curse launcher. If it isn't on the Curse launcher I suggest you contact the developer.

V

Viperion

The pack needs to be a Curse Project, as packs on the FTB launcher aren't necessarily on the Curse launcher. If it isn't on the Curse launcher I suggest you contact the developer.
That doesn't actually answer the question, and it's one I have too - is there such a thing as pack codes on the Curse Launcher, or are all packs searchable via the find a modpack interface?

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
That doesn't actually answer the question, and it's one I have too - is there such a thing as pack codes on the Curse Launcher, or are all packs searchable via the find a modpack interface?
Oops. No there isn't. You simply have to search for the pack's name, no code required.

Reactions: Viperion
G

Guineafluff100

How long will the FTB launcher still be available for use?

Don_Quijote

Jul 29, 2019
How do I install the curse launcher on a drive of my choice?
Once that's answered:
Will I need another account or does my ftb/minecraft account work?

Reactions: mlane16

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Curse is an entirely separate corporation from the FTB team, thus you need to create a Curse account for yourself. FTB apparently has "partnered" with Curse, whatever that means. In my view, the words "Feed The Beast" are now essentially meaningless and will someday disappear entirely. There was a time when FTB was "the big thing" but those days are long, long gone. Sorry Slowpoke and FTB team, but that's how this casual player sees things. "FTB" as a phrase or term will disappear, and in the future, modded Minecraft will be "Cursed". LOL I'm only half-joking about that, but the best days of modded Minecraft are most certainly in the past now. It was fun while it lasted, but this Curse crap is rubbish, we got sold down the river when FTB "partnered" with that corporation.

Edit: Nothing personal, I've greatly enjoyed what the FTB folks did for us players. Thank you!! And also... FTB "selling out" to Curse pales in comparison to what Notch did when he sold us all down the river by taking Microsoft's billions of dollars. Its not even close. I might be alone in my opinion, but Notch's backstab should go down in gaming history. I still can't believe he did it. ANYBODY but Microsoft, good grief, it just boggles the mind.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Edit: Nothing personal, I've greatly enjoyed what the FTB folks did for us players. Thank you!! And also... FTB "selling out" to Curse pales in comparison to what Notch did when he sold us all down the river by taking Microsoft's billions of dollars. Its not even close. I might be alone in my opinion, but Notch's backstab should go down in gaming history. I still can't believe he did it. ANYBODY but Microsoft, good grief, it just boggles the mind.

Do you even know why Notch sold Mojang? It wasn't really about the money. It was more about Mojang turning into the very thing he didn't care for. Big corporate business. But, on a side note I think Microsoft has actually kept Mojang going. I was fully expecting them to stop all of the java development on Minecraft and make it all C code. But they have kept java development going and allow me to play using a Mojang account I purchased ages ago. So I'm not sure in this case what the gripe is about Microsoft.

Reactions: mlane16 and Hambeau