FTB Launcher News

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
Well that's a shame... The whole idea of this new "Launcher" was to take authentication away from 3rd-party launchers and give it back to the vanilla launcher. Instead what we get is a new "app" that requires a 3rd-party account to even use.

That's what's odd about it to me. Curse seemed to go out if its way to satisfy Mojang by using Mojang's own launcher, which maybe gives an impression that they care about your privacy/security. Yet after poking around CurseVoice's Friend Sync I found that they don't mind to probe your Skype/Steam/Battle.net for users to invite, the latter of which in particular appears to be in an unofficial and questionable manner. Curse won't comment on it, either, despite it hitting the front page of the subreddit, someone tagging Kaelton in a comment, and me later tweeting at them, to no response whatsoever. After the fact it was brought to my attention that Curse has done things in the past with their launcher apparently without making companies aware of their actions first, and it led to them getting in a bit of trouble (like the LoL overlay being considered a cheat). Some people even claimed they were banned by Riot for using it, but I can't confirm that they weren't just cheaters, so I don't know what to believe. All I know is that it makes me wary to use Friend Sync if it could jeopardize my Steam or Battle.net accounts.

Meanwhile, you can't really ask Blizzard if it could potentially lead to a ban, because trying to communicate with them about anything that's not a multiple choice question in the support page is a waste of time. And that's not to mention the people you end up dealing with accusing you of being part of a lynch mob just for posting anything that's not in a positive light about Curse, since you apparently have to either love them or hate them.

If I'd known such a simple question would lead to such frustration and uncertainty I probably wouldn't have bothered looking deeper into the launcher in the first place.

Reactions: SephirothWS

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
All I know is that it makes me wary to use Friend Sync if it could jeopardize my Steam or Battle.net accounts.

Meanwhile my Curse account I am wary of even using because a few years ago I got into an argument/disagreement with somebody on Curse's side known as "Wishfire", and I wished to speak with a supervisor to settle the mess. Instead of getting contact info like I requested, my account was banned. Now tell me how this affects how I see Curse as a company? It makes me unwilling to even work with them in the long run because I've had nothing but negative issues with them.

-------------

So the question stands; is there a way to use this newfangled pile of garbage without needing a Curse account, or am I basically screwed when it comes to actually installing and playing FTB modpacks since they're so apt to remove their stuff from the Java-based launcher that works fine for me.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone explain (past rubbishy code) why this switch was necessary? While the code was trash, the FTB launcher did the job admirably. I see no reason to jump to curse when the launcher was doing its job. The ONLY reason I personally see is the partnership. At which point offer both as a possibility. If this is the way that FTB is going fine... Then make a version of curse specifically for ftb. I don't want curse voice, I don't need a curse acct. I just wish to play modded minecraft, enjoy other people's creativity with their modpacks, and above all have fun. To be forced to download a new launcher to do this is beyond ridiculous.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Ok I think you guys are blowing this up more then it needs. You are all ok with posting on curse forums like this one but not logging in on an app. The app let's you turn off syncing of accounts if you don't like that. And the Minecraft launcher runs it's own java making it a little more stable. It really isn't a big thing.

Reactions: Hambeau

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
Ok I think you guys are blowing this up more then it needs. You are all ok with posting on curse forums like this one but not logging in on an app. The app let's you turn off syncing of accounts if you don't like that. And the Minecraft launcher runs it's own java making it a little more stable. It really isn't a big thing.

This forum is not tied to Curse's "Global authentication network", a.k.a. needing a Curse Account to post on. As I said before, the whole purpose of this new launcher was to shift the authentication back to Mojang's launcher, which while they've done so; they've now added a new wall in front of that by making the Minecraft-specific functions a plugin for a bloated pile of garbage that I don't even need, so if I want to use this plugin, I've gotta use the whole thing. I too would like to see this become entirely standalone that I can run without needing to sign in to any sort of third party accounts whatsoever.

Thank you.

Reactions: Padfoote

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Other than the partnership no explaination has been given as to the switch. Blaming the code to me says "we have no reason to do this but we will anyway". Maybe I'm wrong. But I see no reason to switch launchers, especially to one that requires an acct on top of our minecraft one to use.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
This forum is not tied to Curse's "Global authentication network", a.k.a. needing a Curse Account to post on. As I said before, the whole purpose of this new launcher was to shift the authentication back to Mojang's launcher, which while they've done so; they've now added a new wall in front of that by making the Minecraft-specific functions a plugin for a bloated pile of garbage that I don't even need, so if I want to use this plugin, I've gotta use the whole thing. I too would like to see this become entirely standalone that I can run without needing to sign in to any sort of third party accounts whatsoever.

Thank you.
This is wrong. You are not require to use any other feature/s of the app to play the minecraft part. You just sign in and click on the creeper face and then go from there. The app is way easier to use then the FTB one. I have been using curse way before I even had minecraft for wow mods. You can go in and turn off all the other features so when it logs in all you have to do is go to the minecraft part. The only part I don't like is off line. I have had trouble using the app off line in the past and haven't tried lately.

Reactions: Hambeau

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Other than the partnership no explaination has been given as to the switch. Blaming the code to me says "we have no reason to do this but we will anyway". Maybe I'm wrong. But I see no reason to switch launchers, especially to one that requires an acct on top of our minecraft one to use.
You mean other then them planning on the switch for years now. Link:http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/ftb-curse-update.42638/

Now you do need to sign in to the app but signing into ur minecraft goes through the launcher free of the app. What this means is you can create a dummy account email and a dummy user name to log into the app with. Since the app runs through the minecraft launcher ur account info to play the packs is saved on the launcher and u don't need to be logged into the email account for ur minecraft on the app to play the packs. You guys are totally blowing the out of proportions.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Blowing out of proportion is using your definition. Planning and explaining are very different. My issue with curse lies in that it's social networking based rather than gaming. FTB and minecraft are gaming based not social based. If I wanted a socially based experience I would play Facebook games. Our concerns are valid. Kindly do not simply dismiss this as "blown out of proportion"

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
Blowing out of proportion is using your definition. Planning and explaining are very different. My issue with curse lies in that it's social networking based rather than gaming. FTB and minecraft are gaming based not social based. If I wanted a socially based experience I would play Facebook games. Our concerns are valid. Kindly do not simply dismiss this as "blown out of proportion"
What are you even talking about the same curse. Curse has been with gaming for years now???? What social? You can choose to link ur social stuff up to it or you can take a dummy account and turn everything off and use it for minecraft. Curse installs mods for like 5 or so MMOs not to mention the fact that you have been able to downloads tech packs for years on the reg curse. Skyrim, WOW, Secert world, ...etc. Also MY definition is the one from the dic.

blow something out of proportion
to behave as if something that has happened is much worse than it really is

Last edited:

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019

FTB Forums and MCF have been around since before Curse became involved so I don't think that's really comparable. I personally don't mind the logging into their launcher aspect though, but maybe I'm looking at it from a modder point of view compared to a player, since I need an account to post mods. Everyone's going to have their own viewpoint on that I suppose.

Just turning off Friend Sync because I "don't like it" isn't the issue I raised, though, and you're oversimplifying it as many people have tried to do. I don't think I particularly care one way or another about the feature itself, it's fine for people who want to find their friends from other places. It's what they're doing to accomplish it which made me question it. You would think people would be fine with just getting an official response, but instead they continue to defend or answer for Curse.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
FTB Forums and MCF have been around since before Curse became involved so I don't think that's really comparable. I personally don't mind the logging into their launcher aspect though, but maybe I'm looking at it from a modder point of view compared to a player, since I need an account to post mods. Everyone's going to have their own viewpoint on that I suppose.

Just turning off Friend Sync because I "don't like it" isn't the issue I raised, though, and you're oversimplifying it as many people have tried to do. I don't think I particularly care one way or another about the feature itself, it's fine for people who want to find their friends from other places. It's what they're doing to accomplish it which made me question it. You would think people would be fine with just getting an official response, but instead they continue to defend or answer for Curse.
I assume the syncing would happen through the app not through Battle.net. I don't know that for sure but that is how most syncing works. I have allot of friends and only 2-3 have popped for syncing. Of course I stay logged in to battle.net most times...

Last edited:

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
I assume the syncing would happen through the app not through Battle.net. I don't know that for sure but that is how most syncing works. I have allot of friends and only 2-3 have popped for syncing.

It finds your friends in Battle.net by opening the running process and digging through memory manually to identify the list. I found it to be a potential concern due to the technology that companies like Blizzard and Valve use to detect potential cheats or exploits.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
@Magzie yes... You're using a dictionary definition. But to use the phrase diminishes from our concerns. And my issue with curse as a "social" entity is that it requires any sort of acct. dummy or otherwise. The current FTB launcher does not require the same membership. To me, from my impression, is that curse is "social meets gaming" FTB is solely gaming.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
It finds your friends in Battle.net by opening the running process and digging through memory manually to identify the list. I found it to be a potential concern due to the technology that companies like Blizzard and Valve use to detect potential cheats or exploits.
You can always post the question on the supporrt forums and see I though curse was authorized already by way of the curse client.

Magzie

Mar 26, 2014
@Magzie yes... You're using a dictionary definition. But to use the phrase diminishes from our concerns. And my issue with curse as a "social" entity is that it requires any sort of acct. dummy or otherwise. The current FTB launcher does not require the same membership. To me, from my impression, is that curse is "social meets gaming" FTB is solely gaming.
Umm both apps require you to be signed in to use. I don't see that this helps ur case. The only difference being ur minecraft account info being more safe with the curse app. I mean if you delete your account info in the launcher your not going to be able to play any packs.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Umm both apps require you to be signed in to use. I don't see that this helps ur case. The only difference being ur minecraft account info being more safe with the curse app. I mean if you delete your account info in the launcher your not going to be able to play any packs.
The difference is that you already had an acct for minecraft. You did not need to create a new acct for FTB

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Well that's a shame... The whole idea of this new "Launcher" was to take authentication away from 3rd-party launchers and give it back to the vanilla launcher. Instead what we get is a new "app" that requires a 3rd-party account to even use.

...Except that the 3rd part account in question has absolutely nothing to do with your Mojang account.

As long as you maintain proper password security, you'll be safe. unless you have difficulty remembering more than one password.

SephirothWS

Jul 29, 2019
...Except that the 3rd part account in question has absolutely nothing to do with your Mojang account.

As long as you maintain proper password security, you'll be safe. unless you have difficulty remembering more than one password.

And I don't want to be dealing with a bazillion different accounts. I don't want or need the voice functionality of the program. I don't want or need the friend list functionality of the program. I don't need or want it's chat and/or social capabilities. All I want is to download packs and install them. I shouldn't need this third party account to do just that.