[1.7.10] Marooned

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
"As for the pump, Since it wasn't part of any quest I didn't make an alternative recipe for it."

So if you don't use a pump, how do you power you machines? I use lava and while crucibles are fine early, you need too many to keep it going mid/end game. Plus my machines are spread out, tree farm, the two mob farms, the fruit tree farm, animals, etc.

I throw a pump down in the nether and fill drums. Drums filling magmatic dynamos are what I've got now and I don't see a need to build anything else.

You can use Agricraft to mutate fruit seeds
If you look at farmland, uses, it brings up the crop mutations. Strawberry isn't one of them. It goes from spice leaf to sweet potato.

I generally use magmatic dynamo's powered by 6-8 crucibles. SirJAH uses just about everything from solar to laser to whatever takes his fancy. I like everything to be automatic so I supply the crucibles directly from a cobblestone generator with an item node placed on it. There is a latter quest that gives the player a book outlining a way to make a fully automatic compact ore gravel and dust sifting mechanism that sorts everything into barrels or chests including ingots. I did have one that also harvested crops and trees[including oak and rubber] that was connected to the foundry. The whole lot was powered using 3 dynamo's and it produced more than I ever used.

I realize there are many other ways to make and use power, but I found this was the cheapest and simplest way early game to get enough power to get started and build on and that's why I made quests requiring them, mainly to give new players a relatively simple way to produce power to get automation started. Experienced players will always find a more streamlined system and that's the beauty of modded minecraft, you can build it your way. I hadn't taken into account that some machines players might want to make require components that have been removed by one of the mods and when I get back to Aus I'll go through every machine's recipe and make an alternative where needed.

I only added agricraft recently as a way to give players a chance to make crops in another way. Mutating a new crop appealed to me so it was added. I didn't have much time to spend messing around with it before leaving but I did enough to know it shouldn't affect the overall flow of the game and will bring a new aspect to give players something else to play around with. As for strawberry, I'm only going on what the mod's maker said about his mod regarding strawberries. As he added it as an afterthought, it might be mutated from one of the last crops rather than fitting in where you'd expect it to be. A quick question to the developer might give you the answer.

I'm still unclear as to why strawberries are so significant to Elder Sign's game btw.

Cheers....

Last edited:
E

Elder Sign

I generally use magmatic dynamo's powered by 6-8 crucibles. SirJAH uses just about everything from solar to laser to whatever takes his fancy. I like everything to be automatic so I supply the crucibles directly from a cobblestone generator with an item node placed on it. There is a latter quest that gives the player a book outlining a way to make a fully automatic compact ore gravel and dust sifting mechanism that sorts everything into barrels or chests including ingots. I did have one that also harvested crops and trees[including oak and rubber] that was connected to the foundry. The whole lot was powered using 3 dynamo's and it produced more than I ever used.

I realize there are many other ways to make and use power, but I found this was the cheapest and simplest way early game to get enough power to get started and build on and that's why I made quests requiring them, mainly to give new players a relatively simple way to produce power to get automation started. Experienced players will always find a more streamlined system and that's the beauty of modded minecraft, you can build it your way. I hadn't taken into account that some machines players might want to make require components that have been removed by one of the mods and when I get back to Aus I'll go through every machine's recipe and make an alternative where needed.

I only added agricraft recently as a way to give players a chance to make crops in another way. Mutating a new crop appealed to me so it was added. I didn't have much time to spend messing around with it before leaving but I did enough to know it shouldn't affect the overall flow of the game and will bring a new aspect to give players something else to play around with. As for strawberry, I'm only going on what the mod's maker said about his mod regarding strawberries. As he added it as an afterthought, it might be mutated from one of the last crops rather than fitting in where you'd expect it to be. A quick question to the developer might give you the answer.

I'm still unclear as to why strawberries are so significant to Elder Sign's game btw.

Cheers....

Strawberries are the root of all the berry recipes in agricraft, I was hoping to make an automated farm to pump out QDSs, specially since the quest is repeatable. Plus there are the vast quantities of food that use berries as an ingredient. And the fact that I kinda want to breed up every crop that I can just for fun.

E

Elder Sign

"As for the pump, Since it wasn't part of any quest I didn't make an alternative recipe for it."

So if you don't use a pump, how do you power you machines? I use lava and while crucibles are fine early, you need too many to keep it going mid/end game. Plus my machines are spread out, tree farm, the two mob farms, the fruit tree farm, animals, etc.

I throw a pump down in the nether and fill drums. Drums filling magmatic dynamos are what I've got now and I don't see a need to build anything else.

You can use Agricraft to mutate fruit seeds
If you look at farmland, uses, it brings up the crop mutations. Strawberry isn't one of them. It goes from spice leaf to sweet potato.

The pump is outclassed by both the aqueous accumulator and the liquid transfer node in the long run with upgrades and even in the short run since neither require any form of power to run.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Strawberries are the root of all the berry recipes in agricraft, I was hoping to make an automated farm to pump out QDSs, specially since the quest is repeatable. Plus there are the vast quantities of food that use berries as an ingredient. And the fact that I kinda want to breed up every crop that I can just for fun.

IC. Well when I get back I'll look into exactly what crops agricraft is currently able to make and if I can't find strawberries amongst them, I'll try adding them as an additional mutation in the configs.

I really can't remember what rewards were given in 1.1.1.1 but I can tell you that you get a choice of 'nut' sapling with the 'Healer' reward in 1.1.2 so that you can increase your nut supply each time you complete it. I kinda like the idea of having more than one healer to tackle the Twilight and think others would appreciate being able to complete this quest just that bit sooner on each attempt.

Shadow-

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, the aqueous accumulator will not pick up lava, right? Somehow I never thought of the transfer node...weird blindspot I had there....

I set the pump and run a conduit from the pump to the generator and then to drums. Prime the generator with a bucket, and it runs forever.

E

Elder Sign

Wait, the aqueous accumulator will not pick up lava, right? Somehow I never thought of the transfer node...weird blindspot I had there....

I set the pump and run a conduit from the pump to the generator and then to drums. Prime the generator with a bucket, and it runs forever.
I'm guessing that you are pumping lava out of the nether to fuel your generator then, makes more sense, I was thinking that you were using it to pump water with, my bad. If you really want to use the nether as fuel have you considered using a magma crucible and feeding it netherack? It actually has a positive energy rating when melted into lava and fed into a magmatic dynamo, whereas cobble in the MC breaks even, the same mount of power is required to melt it as it produces. The upside of this is that you don't have to keep chunks of the nether loaded when you are in other dimensions unless you just afk by the pump.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Just started playing the pack for the first time, chose the hard map. Bit of a struggle but I haven't starved yet. Was a bit slow figuring out clay and how to get oreberry bushes planted. 1 death when I misjudged the remaining health left on a creeper. Sadly it wasn't 2-hits, it was 3, lol. Die. DIE! Uh oh. Boom!

P

Plaeggs

How do you get different types of saplings? I can't remember how. I need to craft a sieve but still only have maple. What am I missing? I know I can sift dirt to get the seeds, but to do that I need spruce. I'm mostly stuck right now at the Sieve and shears.

Last edited:
E

Elder Sign

How do you get different types of saplings? I can't remember how. I need to craft a sieve but still only have maple. What am I missing? I know I can sift dirt to get the seeds, but to do that I need spruce. I'm mostly stuck right now at the Sieve and shears.
If you complete the aluminum quest one of the rewards is a spruce seed, you can then use the spruce wood to make your sieve. For the quest you need 1 aluminum ingot, 1 copper ingot, 1 gold ingot and 1 tin ingot.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Just started playing the pack for the first time, chose the hard map. Bit of a struggle but I haven't starved yet. Was a bit slow figuring out clay and how to get oreberry bushes planted. 1 death when I misjudged the remaining health left on a creeper. Sadly it wasn't 2-hits, it was 3, lol. Die. DIE! Uh oh. Boom!

Ahh the sneaky creeper. Similar thing happened to me once when I hadn't realised my weapon had broken.

It seems hardly anyone actually reads the quests fully, they just see what needs to be done and set about doing it. There is a lot of info imparted in many of the quests that actually guide you towards how to grow ore berries and make clay, but then that could take away the sheer joy one gets when they discover something all on their own.

Hope you're enjoying the game....

Cheers....

P

Plaeggs

My harvestcraft Gardens are not spreading. I don't have more than 5 or anything and they are on tilled soil next to water. Does it just take a really long time?

EDIT: They spread. Once. Oh watering can, I need you!

Last edited:
E

Elder Sign

My harvestcraft Gardens are not spreading. I don't have more than 5 or anything and they are on tilled soil next to water. Does it just take a really long time?

EDIT: They spread. Once. Oh watering can, I need you!
To get them to spread faster they need to be on grass, the water isn't imoportant

Shadow-

Jul 29, 2019
For the Gardens, the agri-craft water tank and sprinklers seem to work better than the watering can and you don't have to stand there. You don't need water or even grass, my work great on dirt.

http://imgur.com/UrwC1y7

P

Plaeggs

Huh.
It seems hardly anyone actually reads the quests fully, they just see what needs to be done and set about doing it. There is a lot of info imparted in many of the quests that actually guide you towards how to grow ore berries and make clay, but then that could take away the sheer joy one gets when they discover something all on their own.
Maybe I should do this. I'm still gonna whine here about my problems though. Thanks for the help.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019

The problem with relying on quests for knowledge is that they're not always timely. I needed clay long before I unlocked the quest that reminded me about dust in barrels. I didn't really think of this as an ex nihilo pack since there is no sieving at first. :)

Still my fault for not noticing that I had some normal sand that I could hammer into dust for clay. I even was digging it up thinking, "Hey, maybe this normal sand is a marker of some sort." ha. I did find 3 clay balls in a copper chest so I was thinking I just had to find it as loot.

Last edited:

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with relying on quests for knowledge is that they're not always timely. I needed clay long before I unlocked the quest that reminded me about dust in barrels. I didn't really think of this as an ex nihilo pack since there is no sieving at first. :)

Still my fault for not noticing that I had some normal sand that I could hammer into dust for clay. I even was digging it up thinking, "Hey, maybe this normal sand is a marker of some sort." ha. I did find 3 clay balls in a copper chest so I was thinking I just had to find it as loot.

I did try to set the quests up in a manner that I thought was quite timely, its just that experienced players already know the things they need to progress even faster and will always take certain shortcuts when they can.

I was working on the idea that you can't really progress faster than those oreberries grow and of course there is also an element of luck involved with how long it takes to get each variety. Same goes for the palm fruit trees. That's why I've been making modifications along the way to try to prevent too many log jams just because you can't get a particular fruit tree. You still require a bit of luck, just like you do with the ruins, but giving you a way to get that last tree is better than having to wait for luck.

I didn't put any white sand in the environment. Its there as a result of either a ruin forming over a sewage/sludge pool or vise versa, and the red sand falling during formation and turning white. Beats me why it does this but it certainly is nice to find some in your travels.

I've placed quite a few useful 'early' items [like the clay] around the world for intrepid adventurers that prefer to explore and see what's out there instead of setting up a secure base. I think it gives players a distinct choice of how they want to play their game.

That's the main problem I've had making this game, I know how I want to play the game but not how others want to approach it. Like some of the BC machines that require vanilla tools to make. I don't use them and they aren't part of the quest and as I hadn't actively changed anything with regards their recipes etc, it never occurred to me to check whether they could still be made. Now that I've been told about their unavailability, I'll make them available in the next update.

As for clay, I'm wondering what you are making with it that you need it before a quest requires it?

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Huh.

Maybe I should do this. I'm still gonna whine here about my problems though. Thanks for the help.

Ahhh, we all like a whine every now and then and I love finding out where players are having problems. Sometimes it helps me to iron out a path that I thought was pretty straightforward.

Keep the whines coming in and I'll try to solve any problems for you unless another helpful player gets there first.........

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Let's play started )
This reply is a long time coming but I haven't been in a position to watch your videos until now. I'm up to video 10 and have learn't a few things I wasn't aware of like using a 'cobblestone' generator to make stone, very interesting. I also liked the way you used a redstone clock. Until now I've just removed the spigot and replaced it with a Fluid Conduit. They both have their advantages. The clock is easier to turn off/on while the conduit can suck any fluid back into the smelter that isn't enough to make an entire item.

Of course, with knowledge comes power and with power comes the ability to curtail anything I perceive to be unduly bypassing an intended course within the game. I might have to rethink how wooden hammers are made in future. Think sieves and you'll get the picture.

Bwaa haa haa.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
As for clay, I'm wondering what you are making with it that you need it before a quest requires it?

I wanted it to make porcelain clay so I could make a juicer, not for a quest but because I had a stack of of those cactus fruits which had zero food value since I'd already eaten a bunch of them. Wanted a juicer to juice some of them. Food was pretty tight there for awhile, I even had to eat some blue slime to make it over the hump.

Doing good now, just took out one of those dungeon spawner tower/dungeons, can start thinking about some real tech(at least when I come up for air from xcom 2).

YfjLJnU.jpg

Last edited: