How do YOU Generate Power?

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
It'd be relatively simple to tell, just break and replace the generator. No matter, I'll check it out myself.
Yes, and then I'd be able to tell that the 4,000 mb of steam went into it in exactly 3.782 seconds. It's not that simple. You'd be able to do that with a larger tank, but I don't have Minecraft open atm, so I can't test that anyways

davecats

Jul 29, 2019
Here's an adaptation of Factorization Solar Boiler build from an earlier post

Firstly the massive Silver sink of the boilers, 4 of the maximum build:

9G6ndal.jpg

This time, instead of using MFR Steam turbines, I got curious and used a Big Reactors Turbine, I was pretty amazed how much steam this actually made:

dX7p9S1.png

Not bad for a maintenance free power source......
That pic makes my eyes go wonky.

As for power gen, I used to go the 'cheaty' way with Ex Nihilo crucibles paired with magmatic generators. Recently, however, I've been busy discovering the wonders of Mekanism's and Extra Utils solar panels, wind turbines and RF generators, though I'm sure I'll get right back into magma after I download EnderStorage for my Resonant Rise World... :p

jolli86

Jul 29, 2019
I currently pump lava from the nether and transport it to the overworld trough the nether-portal and railcraft tank cart.
In the overworld I use advanced generators to create steam and obsidian from said lava using an heat exchanger.
The steam is then used in an steam turbine generator from advanced generators with two steam turbines to create a nice 160rf/t or the equivalent amount of eu.

I was planning to later on change it to a tree farm to create syngas but that has to wait.

That is a nice twist on the usual cheaty lava generation. Great idea.

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of "cheaty" lava generation, in Horazons: Daybreaker I use a Tier 4 Blood alter with a crap ton of sacrifice runes and constantly have a well of suffering going feeding off Cursed Earth mobs and I use that to constantly keep my soul network up so the Serenade of the Nether ritual can constantly spawn lava. I then rigged a Ender-Thermic pump to constantly pump that same source over and over emptying it into a buffer tank with a liquid monitor to shut it off if the tank is full.

I then ender tank my lava over to a large heat exchange to produce steam to run my endurium turbines. and that dumps power into my ultimate energy cube wich is monitored by an RF Monitor to turn off the heat exchange when power is full.

So all my power generation is 100% passive and self-contained so I can focus on other project rather than how much power to I currently have.

And if I happen to be out of power I have a windmill and a few solar generators to keep my wireless modular storage going at the very least.

Also I use the byproduct of obsidian to run my EE3 transmutation table for no real cost.

2015-11-27_21.03.06.png
2015-11-27_20.46.07.png
2015-11-27_22.43.29.png

2015-11-27_22.43.52.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Robijnvogel
D

DireChyymeras

I Personally use immersive engineering power gen, I'm more about aesthetics than efficiency so it's suits my purposes and fulfills my energy requirements, whist looking really awesome :)

Reactions: JaRyCu

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
@davecats Rockin' the Forestry Tree Farm, eh? I've never been a fan, personally. I know they can put out a good clip of logs, but IMO there are better/faster/more interesting ways to grow trees. I've been using a MultiFarm in my current world off and on, and although it does its job well enough, I'm not particularly happy with it for some reason.

Why do you opt for it in place of other systems? Maybe I'm overlooking some features/advantages.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If you have the patience, it can generate a heck of a lot of power. Not only wood cooked into charcoal, but also Ethanol, eventually becoming self-sustaining, more or less. It also runs basically forever on a stack of fertilizer. I'm not sure how long it lasts, but I've had one going for very nearly hundreds of hours now, and it's still on that first stack of fertilizer I put in.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Mekanism Gas-Burning Generators are much more fun with Ethylene. It requires additional steps, but it is far more fuel-efficient. Still want a bank of Heat Generators surrounded by lava as a kick-start generator to get it going again if the lights go dark for some reason.

davecats

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not very up with the times, am I? Thanks for the tip, @ShneekeyTheLost. I'll be sure to take it into account when I next play with Mekanism

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing in the Ferret Business pack, and thought that I understood the Fluxing Aura Node without reading the book. So I made a power tower:

p606OR0.png

At the top are some generators that make violet aura to flow down the tower:

99XSIDv.png

And a pit of nodes to generate the power:

01ctNwy.png

So, what I didn't understand about the nodes is that they only provide power directly to (up to) four machines nearby. Won't power cables outside of that, no way to save or transfer the power out with cables, batteries, or tesseracts. I can still use the tower, and just put in floors at each level with ~12 machines per floor. Each node generates ~800 RF/t but I can only use it very locally to the node.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Powers machines? Such as the Energetic Infuser? You could possibly transfer the power into those, and dump those into something like a Mekanism energy cube.

Steel

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, just tried it out, seems that the charging devices are similarly blacklisted (like batteries).

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
That doesn't mean you couldn't use that RF to power a bank of Lava Fabricators, then use that lava to power your base. I'm not sure what mods are in that pack, but anything that creates lava, steam, or other fuel could work.