Thaumcraft Pech Abuse [Infinity]

Gato70

Jul 29, 2019
So recently, I was running around in my FTB Infinity world and I came across this fellow by mistake.
2015-08-13_01.13.34.png
I had been looking for a pech mage for ages, but I just stumbled upon him sort of by mistake. Whateverthecase, I had the idea to bring him back to my base using my portal gun which I had looted from a chest ages ago, and then plop him down in a little cave underneath my storage house, and finally name him with a spare name tag. I started trading stacks of diamonds, rubies, greed shards, gold ingots, and basically anything else that was precious to me that contained lucrum in search of pech curses... That was, until I realized that I had 2 stacks of silver blocks sitting in my chests. The result is the loot as follows:
2015-08-13_01.35.40.png

All those 3 or so stacks of gold blocks are uncrafted Enchanted Golden Apples, uncrafted by my handy dandy Twilight-Forest uncrafter. I have more than enough pech curses and portal guns as well, and I'm fairly sure I have enough potions to start melting them down into sano willy-nilly. And my little Pech Friend shows no signs of giving up on this, well... lucrative... 'friendship'. I'm wondering to myself now... do any of you think that trading the gold blocks back with him would be a self sustainable process? The silver blocks contain 13 lucrum, the same amount as a gold block, and if that is the result of 2 stacks of silver blocks, perhaps I've found a somewhat cheaty way of getting gold...? I suppose it depends on the reliablity of random chance and the law of really big numbers. If anybody has any info on pech trading mechanics, let me know, I'd love to up the efficency of this cycle, if it can be called that.
(Also, this is my first post here on the FTB forums, so hurray for that, and please excuse any formatting errors in the post :p)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like a horribly expensive way to get gold. I mean depending on the mods you use a good mob farm will have you swimming in gold armor that can be uncrafted/ melted down. You could up the anti and make a pigman farm, gold nuggets for days. Plus the swords they drop are a good free 1-2 ingots.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RedBoss and Gato70

Gato70

Jul 29, 2019
True, but this way I get portal guns which can be uncrafted into nether stars. Which is amazing. Plus, infinite gold and loot. What's not to like? However, it really isn't that reliable or automatic. Oh well.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Ok so you are talking about how they sell you stuff from the dungeon loot table. Or that they sometimes gamble you trash they find on the ground.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I am playing the magequest magic pack. It doesn't have portalgun. If there anyway you can think of to get a pech back to my base? I assume if I find a peck mage and drop a name tag on him, he won't despawn when I move out of range. I suppose I could always drop him in a 2 high hole somehow and then build a "path" for him back to my base?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I am playing the magequest magic pack. It doesn't have portalgun. If there anyway you can think of to get a pech back to my base? I assume if I find a peck mage and drop a name tag on him, he won't despawn when I move out of range. I suppose I could always drop him in a 2 high hole somehow and then build a "path" for him back to my base?

Golden Lasso, Safari Net...

Dunno what's in that pack tho

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC Thaumic Horizons got added in a recent(ish) update, and that includes a wand focus that lets you transport mobs in jars.

Gato70

Jul 29, 2019
It is possible to lure a pech with anything that contains lucrum, so you could make a "breadcrumb" path into something that would keep him trapped. The nametag is all you need to keep him from despawning, and I ended up just kinda leaving him in the hole I trapped him in. If you really want him in your base, he would need a totally cut off room or prison cell to keep him from stealing all of your items.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I suppose I could always build a corporeal attractor (or several) and leave it on in the magic forest to see what I catch overnight. :). I could use a chain of them to slowly get the perch to where I wanted him.

Reactions: Gato70