RC/ReC/ElC/CC Policy Changes

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
It would be possible to implement a simplified version, such as lava freezing over time [using the ice biome freezing algorithm], and netherrack not burning forever [burns for a long time, then decays to a depleted state. Changing the block type to 'wood' might cause problems in the nether].

Glowstone and torches might also need some work- though 'finite light' would be a very interesting game mechanic in itself.
The harder part would be doing this without using tile entities (for performance reasons).​

That would leave portals [magic anyway], redstone [not viable], mushrooms [they glow- easy fix??], and dragon crystals [again magic].

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
It would be possible to implement a simplified version, such as lava freezing over time [using the ice biome freezing algorithm], and netherrack not burning forever [burns for a long time, then decays to a depleted state. Changing the block type to 'wood' might cause problems in the nether].
That's what I'm thinking
Glowstone and torches might also need some work- though 'finite light' would be a very interesting game mechanic in itself.
That would be very cool
The harder part would be doing this without using tile entities (for performance reasons).
Store a hashmap from BlockPos to an object representing what you need.
mushrooms [they glow- easy fix??]
I think that is fixable
redstone [not viable]
Add a redstone energy producer that is used in crafting the different redstone power producing things, and then shift-clicking those things adds fuel?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Using 15 states for netherrack to have a very, very long burn time (small chance per tick of a lit netherrack dropping a bit) would do the job. Always harvest/mine as "normal", and place down as "full to burn". Would do a reasonably decent job.

Alternatively, have it be tied to biome plus sky exposure. If you're in a HELL biome (dicitonary tag), and have no sky exposure, you keep flaming; otherwise (cold air, or not in hell), you have a slow decay of flame.

Reactions: Pyure

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Using 15 states for netherrack to have a very, very long burn time (small chance per tick of a lit netherrack dropping a bit) would do the job. Always harvest/mine as "normal", and place down as "full to burn". Would do a reasonably decent job.

Alternatively, have it be tied to biome plus sky exposure. If you're in a HELL biome (dicitonary tag), and have no sky exposure, you keep flaming; otherwise (cold air, or not in hell), you have a slow decay of flame.
This is the proper implementation. Override the block class a bit.

...Anyone want to make an RC addon? :p

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
Why would it need to be a RoC addon? Couldn't it just be a standalone mod, as finite water should be.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, now how about lava cooling off?

How does this sound: You've got 4 bits, and in the overworld, 2 bits determine the height. The other 2 bits could give a 4 count for "crusting over", which would stop it from giving off heat.

... what properties would "cooled lava" have? Would it still pick up in a bucket, and place as normal liquid again? Would it be "solid" and you walk on it? How would a lake of lava change behavior? How would depth and no sky affect it? How would another dimension affect it (twilight forest vs mystcraft age vs RfTools vs Aether vs ... all those mod dimensions, and I think there's one mod that gives you multiple layers of hell).

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Having played with limited light. It sounds cool (and kinda *is* in SSP, if a smidge tedious) at first glance and then you play on a server. TFC has been trying to get this idea right (well spawn protection so light ceases to be a requirement for safety, then they implemented decaying lights anyway before spawn protection was honestly polished enough) for months and months now and STILL hasn't managed to not bend over players that can't log on at any random hour to relight torches or recharge spawn protection.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking of a mod that gave you both fire-hell (like our current nether) and frozen-hell (was that from Dante?). I recall it for 164, not sure if it ever updated.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
OK, so I currently do not have a good way to open up the RC recipe code as I desired, so that will still be in effect for the main v7, as I have no interest in delaying its release any further. However v7 will still open up the permissions, letting you modify "normal table" recipes, and subsequent updates will implement the more open code.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Sweeeeeeeeet! Say, will going from the last v6 to v7 bork worlds? I ask because I might see if my server's admin would be keen on updating so I can poke around with some of the new ChC goodies.