Construction Foam....

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bryantom

Jul 29, 2019
Let me start off by saying I searched all over for the answer, including the IC2 experimental page. I'm trying to make construction foam and fill it into a CF sprayer. From what I do see in a youtube movie, I have to fill the left tank in a Fluid/Solid Canning Machine with water. I've tried many ways to fill the left tank with a water cell, but it keeps filling the right tank. The IC2 Experimental web page (http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Canning_Machine#Filling_CF_Sprayers_and_CFPacks) says "It is possible to manually insert fluids into the left tank by holding shift and right clicking the Canning Machine with a cell of fluid. Make sure that the left tank is empty before doing this.", but when I do this, water goes all over the floor.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bryan

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
/shrug, I have always piped it in. Much easier than messing with Cells.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Have you tried putting it in "fluid enrich" mode before connecting water? Not sure if that's the reason, but I have managed to get it to fill with water on the left side using extra utilities pipes (attached to bottom of machine).

Also, you can now place the CF sprayer directly in the top left slot and it will get filled when you place CF powder. I don't think that used to be possible at least.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Also, you can now place the CF sprayer directly in the top left slot and it will get filled when you place CF powder. I don't think that used to be possible at least.
Yeah in 1.6.4 you had to have one Canning Machine in Enriching mode with water and CF dust, then pipe the CF foam out into another Canning Machine in filling mode in order to fill the CF sprayer. But as far as I have heard too that is now fixed.

Bryantom

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried putting it in "fluid enrich" mode before connecting water? Not sure if that's the reason, but I have managed to get it to fill with water on the left side using extra utilities pipes (attached to bottom of machine).

Yes, I've done that, but nothing happens when I put the water in. I'll just make another canning machine. IC2 does not make things easy, but I'm up for the challenge. It's a little stressful to find out after making machine after machine that I need to build another machine for another item, but what the heck, I don't want it given to me.

Bryan

Bryantom

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah in 1.6.4 you had to have one Canning Machine in Enriching mode with water and CF dust, then pipe the CF foam out into another Canning Machine in filling mode in order to fill the CF sprayer. But as far as I have heard too that is now fixed.

I haven't done any piping. I have the second canning machine. What kind of pipe do I need to connect the two machines? Also, the machines don't need an upgrade to do the job?

Bryan

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
So, what you do is:

1. Place a Fluid/Solid Canning Machine.
2. Turn it into "Fuel/Enrich" mode.
3. Place a CF Sprayer <empty> in the top left slot
4. Place an *exact quantity (8) CF Powder in the center slot - no more!
5. Place an Industrial craft Pump directly behind the Fluid/Solid Canning Machine - such that the two machines are facing back to back.
6. Build a pool of water in front of the Pump so that it is touching the water with its front.
7. Insert a "Fluid Ejector Upgrade" into the Pump.
8. Under these machines, hook them up to some Tin cable.

The pump will suck up water blocks and fill the LEFT tank of the Fluid/Solid Canning Machine.
The Fluid/Solid Canning Machine will fill the CF Sprayer with 8000 units of ic/2 Construction foam and then move the CF Sprayer to the right slot.
If there are MORE than 8 CF Powder in the center position, or the CF Sprayer is not in the Fluid/Solid Canning Machine THEN it will place (up to) 8000mB of construction foam in the right hand (output) tank.

If the output tank becomes full of construction foam the machine will get stuck. If it is full, you can unstick it by shift-right clicking on it with a Universal Fluid Cell <empty> to extract construction foam from the output tank. If the output tank is NOT full, you can unstick it by inserting an CF Sprayer <empty> in the top left slot, and adding some CF Powder - this will start the machine and it will drain the output tank into the CF Sprayer.
You can then switch to 'drain Fluid from cell into Tank' mode to empty the universal fluid cell (making sure not to fill the output tank!)

Alternatively, you build a 2nd Fluid/Solid Canning Machine directly adjacent to the first, and place a second Fluid Ejector Upgrade in the first. This will empty its output tank into the second machines Input tank - the second machine is then simply left in "Fill Cell from Tank" mode and will fill any cells, CF Backpacks or CFSprayers inserted in the left slot.

No Buildcraft, Ender IO or other mods need to be involved in this.

Last edited:

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
So, what you do is:

5. Place an Industrial craft Pump directly behind the Fluid/Solid Canning Machine - such that the two machines are facing back to back.
6. Build a pool of water in front of the Pump so that it is touching the water with its front.

The pump will suck up water blocks and fill the LEFT tank of the Fluid/Solid Canning Machine.
The Fluid/Solid Canning Machine will fill the CF Sprayer with 8000 units of ic/2 Construction foam and then move the CF Sprayer to the right slot.
If there are MORE than 8 CF Powder in the center position, or the CF Sprayer is not in the Fluid/Solid Canning Machine THEN it will place (up to) 8000mB of construction foam in the right hand (output) tank.

If the output tank becomes full of construction foam the machine will get stuck. If it is full, you can unstick it by shift-right clicking on it with a Universal Fluid Cell <empty> to extract construction foam from the output tank. If the output tank is NOT full, you can unstick it by inserting an CF Sprayer <empty> in the top left slot, and adding some CF Powder - this will start the machine and it will drain the output tank into the CF Sprayer.
You can then switch to 'drain Fluid from cell into Tank' mode to empty the universal fluid cell (making sure not to fill the output tank!)

Alternatively, you build a 2nd Fluid/Solid Canning Machine directly adjacent to the first, and place a second Fluid Ejector Upgrade in the first. This will empty its output tank into the second machines Input tank - the second machine is then simply left in "Fill Cell from Tank" mode and will fill any cells, CF Backpacks or CFSprayers inserted in the left slot.

Just out of curiosity, COULD you use a BC pump with this? I don't trust IC to do something other mods do. :p

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Just out of curiosity, COULD you use a BC pump with this? I don't trust IC to do something other mods do. :p

Of course. Buildcraft has played nice with industrial craft for the longest time. Probably why the IC2 team tolerate so many bugs in their pump. Personally however, I do prefer to stick to a theme - its interesting to me to make a completely IC2 pipeline for doing something like this.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Of course. Buildcraft has played nice with industrial craft for the longest time. Probably why the IC2 team tolerate so many bugs in their pump. Personally however, I do prefer to stick to a theme - its interesting to me to make a completely IC2 pipeline for doing something like this.
I thought so. :p
When it comes to theme, though, I totally disagree; I prefer hulking monstrosities that use cross-mod... er... unintended features, with items and fluids whizzing around in pipes. :)
That's all in theory, of course; in practice I end up doing everything as simply as possible. As much as I love the steampunk automation style, the part of my brain that demands 100% efficiency in all things more or less overpowers everything else as I play. That doesn't mean I always stick to just one mod, of course; I use the most freakishly efficient method possible. Steve's Factory Manager ftw. ;)

Reactions: Bryantom

Bryantom

Jul 29, 2019
So, what you do is:

Chris,

Thank you, thank you, thank you, AND thank you! This worked exactly as you wrote it would. I used the two canning machine method.

Bryan

Reactions: Type1Ninja