Question about Dragon Egg Energy Siphon

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyriell

Jul 29, 2019
On the server I play on I managed to kill the Ender Dragon and eventually build an Energy Siphon to use the egg.
I was originally going to ask if it ever runs out of power or if it will output 128 eu/t forever...
However I just received a text from a friend that plays on the same server that it has exploded.

Anyone know why?
I know that if you try to spawn one in or use one in a world that still has the Ender Dragon alive it blows up but that's not the case.

It was running fine for hours yesterday so I don't know why it would suddenly explode today.
There's no interaction with the siphon itself (as in right clicking it does nothing) so I have no information about any conditions it may have that need to be met.

I also know that it was running fine even when my MFSU was already full so I don't think it's a case of extra energy building up with nowhere to go.

Does anyone know anything about why it exploded?
Assuming the egg even survived I'd like to know if it's worth replacing or just give up and use alternate sources of energy (which is a shame because having EU from the egg of a dragon I killed is cool.)

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps someone got an egg from a mystcraft world and tried using a siphon as well.

That would cause both to promptly explode.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
To fix this issue:

In your Minecraft/config/GregTech folder, in your GregTech.cfg file:

Code:
####################
# features
####################

features {
    B:AllowDuplicatedDragonEggs=true
This is flagged as false by default. Setting it to true ought to fix it.

Pyriell

Jul 29, 2019
Should have mentioned this is using Mindcrack, so no Mystcraft.
I wonder if the friend I mentioned wanted to copy my setup (a common and annoying occurrence :p) and attempted to acquire a dragon egg in some way, it's his server so he has access to whatever commands would be needed to make that happen.

I shall have to ask him.
Thanks for the reply.
:)

dyren

Jul 29, 2019
This just happened to me and I found this thread after googling. Funny that it is such a recent post.

Anyway, I have no clue what happened. I was exploring the twilight forest and sent my jetpack back through an ender pouch to my remote charging system which happens to be very close to my matter fabricator and dragon egg syphon. When the jetpack didn't come back into my enderpouch I suspected something was up. I came back to a large hole where my syphon and ultimate hybrid solar panels were. =\

I too am using the Mindcrack v7 pack but am playing on singleplayer.

If anyone has any information or if I can supply any additional info please let me know.

Cheers,
dyren

dyren

Jul 29, 2019
Very clever.. :p

Since I'm on singleplayer I replaced the lost items including the siphon and dragon egg but relocated them to a safer place (i.e. NOT next to ultimate hybrid solars...)

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Our Scientists found a Way of using the Teleportation Energy from an Enderdragon Egg, to create Power! This Device, will pull 128 EU/t (configurable) from an Enderdragon Egg, which is placed on Top of it, what is making it a cool Decoration too!
Warning: There is a Cheat-Protection in this Device, which prevents multiple Dragon Egg Siphons from being used at once (if you have multiple Dragon Eggs). If you want to use multiple Dragon Eggs (for example, when aquired some via Mystcraft), then use the Config to disable the Cheat-Protection.
This Device could have unknown environmental Side Effects, when used over long time, but we are not sure.
Perhaps "unknown environmental Side Effects" could be random 'splosions?

dyren

Jul 29, 2019
What's the point in making the siphon if it randomly explodes (taking your one and only dragon egg with it.) This basically means you'll only ever make the siphon once and it will only create energy until the thing randomly explodes. Seems kind of useless if that's the case. And this is coming from someone who's already invested the resources into making it on survival. =\

So far it hasn't exploded a second time (after I cheated in another siphon and egg to replace the lost items from the initial random explosion.)

Oh and here's a tip: don't break the siphon with a drill or pickaxe while it has the egg on top, this will also cause it to explode and kill you. Yep, speaking from experience here.

Pyriell

Jul 29, 2019
I did a bit of testing in a single player world.
Had a siphon set up with an egg on it, spawned in a new one.
The existing one didn't blow up when I spawned or placed the new one.
But placing the new one on its own siphon caused that one to blow up.

The one I had on the server was running overnight due to a chunk loader, so maybe it did just blow up.
So far I actually like Gregtech, but if these siphons spontaneously explode then they're pretty useless.
Compare the cost to make a siphon with the cost of a tier 3 solar panel for example.

Another unfortunate effect: the egg that was on the exploded siphon is now gone.
Not sure where, probably on the ground somewhere but I have no way to locate it.
So when I spawned in a new one to test (placed on a siphon surrounded by spawned in iridium reinforced tungstensteel, safety first kids) it exploded.

Oh well, I guess my idea of having a dragon egg on a siphon surrounded by glass covers with obsidian cover strip trim, as the pulsing heart of my power area, is no longer feasible.

CrafterOfMines57

Jul 29, 2019
The GregTech version in FTB appears to still have this bug, I believe this will be the third thread I will warn about this, DO NOT use the Dragon Egg Siphon until FTB updates GregTech, upon reloading the chunk it is in, it WILL explode destroying the egg and the siphon. It has already been reported a while back and is fixed for the current version of GregTech.

Status
Not open for further replies.