The Best Power Source

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ddogclaw

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all, I've recently switched from Tekkit to FTB Direwolf20 pack and I love all of the different power options. I have in the past solely used solar panels (LV,MV,HV) with occasional geothermal generators supplementing some extra power. Now in FTB, I've been using solely geothermal energy. My current setup is similar to that that Direwolf20 has in his single player series, but I have use magmatic engines for all of the power for the pump, liquid transposers, and use filters to pull the cells. I have an iron tank that holds 3,900,000 mB that powers a line of geothermal generators and 9 magmatic engines. These engines fill my redstone energy cell which has an output of 35 set, and the geothermal engines fill my mfsu (soon will have multiple mfsus). Even with all this power output, the amount of lava in the tank never fluctuates.

So what is your favorite source of power?

Ddogclaw

Jul 29, 2019
I could see that, get enough thermopiles, use blutric engines, there you have enough buildcraft power, then convert up to industrial craft!

DVeagle74

Jul 29, 2019
Wind turbines! Cool looking and produce a lot of power. But require TONS of string. 4 and a half stacks for the standing version. And reactors are always fun, if a bit heavy on resources. Automating steam boilers is always fun too.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I could see that, get enough thermopiles, use blutric engines, there you have enough buildcraft power, then convert up to industrial craft!

Yes my current base has 48. And I about to start adding IC tech so I will try and see if I can make mega awesome super Thermpoile and run my base 100% off that.

EDIT: hey anyone know if there is a Themopile native to IC?

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
Yes my current base has 48. And I about to start adding IC tech so I will try and see if I can make mega awesome super Thermpoile and run my base 100% off that.

What's the Thermopile do? I'm not familiar with that piece of tech. I am familiar with IC2, though.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
What's the Thermopile do? I'm not familiar with that piece of tech. I am familiar with IC2, though.

It makes power based off heat exchange. Basicly you put a cold side and a hot side to the block and it makes power. The bigger the diffrance the more power you get.

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
It makes power based off heat exchange. Basicly you put a cold side and a hot side to the block and it makes power. The bigger the diffrance the more power you get.
Nope. Nothing like that in IC2. Closest thing is a Nuclear Reactor. You put in Uranium Cells (heat it up), and Coolant Cells (cool it down, obviously), and it generates energy. But it doesn't so much need the cold to generate EU's, as it does to not blow your base to smithereens.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. Nothing like that in IC2. Closest thing is a Nuclear Reactor. You put in Uranium Cells (heat it up), and Coolant Cells (cool it down, obviously), and it generates energy. But it doesn't so much need the cold to generate EU's, as it does to not blow your base to smithereens.

Thermopiles generate blutricity from RP2

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019

The best way you could do that would be kinda convoluted.. Thermopiles -> blutric engine -> sawmill -> solid boiler -> steam turbine

It could work, but it wouldn't be effective by any means. That is unless you've got something like the power converter mod.. In which case, you'd skip the sawmill, boiler, turbine parts.

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
The best way you could do that would be kinda convoluted.. Thermopiles -> blutric engine -> sawmill -> solid boiler -> steam turbine

It could work, but it wouldn't be effective by any means. That is unless you've got something like the power converter mod.. In which case, you'd skip the sawmill, boiler, turbine parts.
You could also go: Thermopile->Blulectric Engine->Magma Crucible->Geothermal Generator/Thermal Generator (GregTech's Geo Gen). Cuts out two steps from the steam method, but would require Netherrack for maximum efficiency. Cobble will work, too, but you lose efficiency.

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
You could also go: Thermopile->Blulectric Engine->Magma Crucible->Geothermal Generator/Thermal Generator (GregTech's Geo Gen). Cuts out two steps from the steam method, but would require Netherrack for maximum efficiency. Cobble will work, too, but you lose efficiency.
It would work, but where's the fun in that? =p Nothing's more fun in minecraft than making huge machine setups that serve the same purpose as a 1 step machine! (see any rube Goldberg machines that make basic things like cakes or cookies)

arkangyl

Jul 29, 2019
It would work, but where's the fun in that? =p Nothing's more fun in minecraft than making huge machine setups that serve the same purpose as a 1 step machine! (see any rube Goldberg machines that make basic things like cakes or cookies)
This is very true. :p

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I might do that. I'm already got a small amount of Lava Ive been pumping up in my volcano base that I was using with magma engines before I had my pile setup. I might actually go the sawmill route just because it uses a resource I can make in my base wood.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Nah, 48 thermopiles won't generate even remotely enough with the lava route.

Maybe if you get a massive supply of nether rack, but even with that, you are far from being able to supply enough energy to fuel enough EU in the end, as the Bluetric > MJ is at a crappy rate, and the MJ > EU is not that good either.

Oh, well, if it's only to power basic machines, only on demand, that could work, but don't expect to be able to make a massive automation, or to run Greg machines^^

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Nah, 48 thermopiles won't generate even remotely enough with the lava route.

Maybe if you get a massive supply of nether rack, but even with that, you are far from being able to supply enough energy to fuel enough EU in the end, as the Bluetric > MJ is at a crappy rate, and the MJ > EU is not that good either.

Oh, well, if it's only to power basic machines, only on demand, that could work, but don't expect to be able to make a massive automation, or to run Greg machines^^

That is why I said I was going to be super mega awesome thermopile. Which being super, mega, and awesome would have way more then 48 of them.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, someone is going to need tons of materials I see ^^ .

If you can make it go with a windmill, even the "small" one can really help you too, plus they do look cool.

But that's your world, so of course you are free to build giant towers of thermopiles, if that is you wish.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, someone is going to need tons of materials I see ^^ .

If you can make it go with a windmill, even the "small" one can really help you too, plus they do look cool.

But that's your world, so of course you are free to build giant towers of thermopiles, if that is you wish.

yes I know it would look cool. But 90% of my base/build is underwater and windmills tend to have issue with being on the ocean floor.

But also my tower pile setup is actually a fairly poor design. You can double the output of a pile (with out getting ice or snow in the mix) just by changing how you have lava and water touching the pile. 4 water to 1 lava is about the best you can get off a pile while keeping it maintenance free.

And Hell I play with GregTech on hard you think I like to do anything in the easiest manner? If that was the case it would be all solar all the time for all the UU mater I could stand.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
In my recent restart my aim is creating a blaze reactor (lvl 5 blaze spawner in overworld, piping rods into IC2 generators and boilers for EU and MJ.)

Lets see how it goes :)

Reactions: PierceSG