Suggest Mods for FTB Here

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azarias59

Jul 29, 2019
If i may suggest something that is soon going to be updated to 1.4.4(depending on how long it takes to update, his mod is huge, which is why he is skipping 1.4.2) I would suggest Gravitycraft + Mine up. As of the current version it does not yet have forge support, but it will when it updates to 1.4.4(or later, depending on whether or not this is the final 1.4 release).

As a side note it would be interesting to see what would happen combining mine up and mystcraft.
I know this is an older post, but I would really like to see gravitycraft in FTB!

Vermillion

Jul 29, 2019
I can't see any/most of those mods being added.
The Eternal Frost mod adds nothing purposeful. More tools with questionable durability, plants that are illogical copies of overworld plants (Frost wheat... what?) that take up more block IDs.
Mutant creatures are overpowered, especially if those mutant creepers spawn naturally and commonly.
Runic Dust looks like a cool mod, but some of those runes can be used for rapid world-rape. That mountain rune that quickly lifts up the ground below it + RP Block Breaker would put an end to quarries or even mining for minimal cost.
Thaumic Bees looks fine, if Extra Bees ever gets debugged to work alongside it.
Flans Mods all seem to add vehicles, guns and airplanes. For their cheap cost, they're overpowered and probably buggy on a server alongside the other FTB mods. Guns would also undermine all vanilla, IC2, RP, etc weapons.
Ultimate Nether Mod looks like it was made by a little kid. No info on the linked page, all the images and spoilers are broken, it looks like it was put through google translate and is only half-finished.
Cogs of the Machine Mod looks very cool aesthetically. Unfortunately, the author clearly states that it's full of bugs and errors and to use at your own risk. As for actual use, the mod is just a Thermal Expansion copy.
As for GravityCraft, that's still for 1.2.5 and has a long list of bugs.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
The Eternal Frost mod adds nothing purposeful. More tools with questionable durability, plants that are illogical copies of overworld plants (Frost wheat... what?) that take up more block IDs.
Mutant creatures are overpowered, especially if those mutant creepers spawn naturally and commonly.
Runic Dust looks like a cool mod, but some of those runes can be used for rapid world-rape. That mountain rune that quickly lifts up the ground below it + RP Block Breaker would put an end to quarries or even mining for minimal cost.
Flans Mods all seem to add vehicles, guns and airplanes. For their cheap cost, they're overpowered and probably buggy on a server alongside the other FTB mods. Guns would also undermine all vanilla, IC2, RP, etc weapons.
Ultimate Nether Mod looks like it was made by a little kid. No info on the linked page, all the images and spoilers are broken, it looks like it was put through google translate and is only half-finished.
Cogs of the Machine Mod looks very cool aesthetically. Unfortunately, the author clearly states that it's full of bugs and errors and to use at your own risk. As for actual use, the mod is just a Thermal Expansion copy.

Its funny, I agree with you on pretty much every one of the points, The two of those I personally use are cogs of the machine and thaumic bees. Cogs is buggy but its actually not that buggy, like no more then say, redpower or something. It also really goes well with other mods in the pack so I think they should add it eventually. Thaumic bees are cool i'm not too into forestry or thaumcraft but nice to have if you are. And I'm using it with extra bees, no problems so far

electroscape

Jul 29, 2019
i know gravcraft is still in 1.2.5.
i agree on flans mod and runic dust,
and i guess i can see how some of the others would not be suited
for the pack.
i tried cogs and it worked fine for me.
also, i didn't know that thaumic bees wasn't compatible with extrabees, thanks.[DOUBLEPOST=1357619076][/DOUBLEPOST]also, the ultimant nether mod is translated from german.

JonReed

Jul 29, 2019

I agree with most of that except for Runic dust, since it is modular with different packs containing different runes(allowing custom rune packs), along with config options to disable each rune separately.

Maffeo404

Jul 29, 2019
Xeno's Reliquary, Thaumic Bees and Ars Magica would all be great additions to magic world! As it stands Magic World is very lacking mod-wise and these additions would fill it out some. I do not think they would work in the other mod packs(except for Thaumic Bees.)

arthahar

Oct 31, 2012
I read in Ars Magica thread that it not compatible currently with Optifine. A lot ppl use optifine and adding Ars Magica in current state will create problems for they.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
I read in Ars Magica thread that it not compatible currently with Optifine. A lot ppl use optifine and adding Ars Magica in current state will create problems for they.
The latest update included a patch that should fix the bulk of the issues being given to people by combining it with optifine. I'd also like to ask you to please spell people correctly.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I think ars magica would ruin pretty much any pack you put it in. At least as it is now. In my opinion the world gen/mobs part of it is really over done. The structures appear way to often and the mobs in it appear pretty much as often as regular hostile mobs. Since they do so much damage they just become really annoying. And the nature of them would make you thing they should be a little more rare. Not too mention the mana creeper which in itself is somewhat pointless. And again I wouldn't mind if it was like a really rare thing or something. And the dryads seem to have no spawn limits. They spawn everywhere no matter day or night, your Y level, what the ground is. It would be better if they only spawned on grass or something. It makes no sense how they spawn now. Even if these issues were fixed I don't think it should be in the ultimate pack. Possibly the magic pack

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
I think ars magica would ruin pretty much any pack you put it in. At least as it is now. In my opinion the world gen/mobs part of it is really over done. The structures appear way to often and the mobs in it appear pretty much as often as regular hostile mobs. Since they do so much damage they just become really annoying. And the nature of them would make you thing they should be a little more rare. Not too mention the mana creeper which in itself is somewhat pointless. And again I wouldn't mind if it was like a really rare thing or something. And the dryads seem to have no spawn limits. They spawn everywhere no matter day or night, your Y level, what the ground is. It would be better if they only spawned on grass or something. It makes no sense how they spawn now. Even if these issues were fixed I don't think it should be in the ultimate pack. Possibly the magic pack

It's a WIP mod. The structure generation as you put it is often and this is a bug that is being worked on. This is caused because ars magica has it's own specific form of chunks that cause structures to spawn once per chunk. The mana creeper is there to give you magical scrolls as well as the mages in the case that you don't enjoy exploring the world. The drayads are also, an alternate source of essences. The mod author is trying to please people, and these are the things that have been asked for.

Reactions: electroscape

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
It's a WIP mod. The structure generation as you put it is often and this is a bug that is being worked on. This is caused because ars magica has it's own specific form of chunks that cause structures to spawn once per chunk. The mana creeper is there to give you magical scrolls as well as the mages in the case that you don't enjoy exploring the world. The drayads are also, an alternate source of essences. The mod author is trying to please people, and these are the things that have been asked for.

WIP doesn't really mean anything when talking about minecraft and its mods. Because of how the updates are, the game will never be finished until it gets abandoned, same goes for all mods. So in theory they are all WIP as long as there are stil updates to it. But I get your saying that a lot of bugs haven't been worked out. Which is why it SHOULDN'T be in the pack. And ok the bug with structure gen is understandable but I don't think there should be that many structures in the first place. I don't really like when mods add in their own types of creepers (like tropicraft, christmascraft etc) I guess because creepers are such classic minecraft mobs that it feels weird. But if there is gonna be another type of creeper it should be a lot more useful/scary and not just based on a mana system of one mod. I never said the dryads were useless. But it is entirely possible to have mobs that are useful and also not completely annoying. Look at cows in vanilla. Are they useful? extremely. Do they spawn freaking everywhere? no. They spawn on grass and when a chunk is loaded for the first time, they don't despawn or respawn, But at the same time they are renewable if the player wants to spend the extra time/resources on it. And at the very least they drop XP. My friends and I put it on our modded LP server and every time we entered our house (which the floor is made of wooden planks and its a good 20 blocks above sea level) there were 5-10 dryads. They just become extremely annoying, and we ended up spending more time killing them then actually playing so we just deleted it entirely. Then of course you can't even set it to a lower spawn frequency. I really like the spells and overall magic feel in it but its just not fun because of the mobs and world gen. And it definitely seems very unbalanced when playing with other mods because of the amount of mobs, structures, and even changes to the default inventory (mana bar) compared to the actual amount of content.

RichieRichh23

Jul 29, 2019
Don't know if this is made yet or not, but I'm looking for a mod or a world where all the monsters come out at daytime but retreat at night it seems stupid I know but there may be others who might like it also you sleep during the day as soon as the sun goes down u got back to mining crafting etc. Its kinda like minecraft cept your a vampire and the monsters are weakened by moonlight.

Darkblock306

Jul 29, 2019
I've used Cogs of the Machine, and it's less buggy than many other mods I've used in Feed The Beast. Now, you're entitled to your opinion, but it's insulting that you dismiss it as a "Thermal Expansion copy." Cogs has a unique powernet completely different from other mods, and its machines are just as unique. This mod doesn't resemble Thermal Expansion in any way that I can see, and that point is kind of moot anyways since Thermal Expansion could be labelled a "IndustrialCraft copy" a lot more so than Cogs being a Thermal Expansion copy. On a side note, I actually DO agree with you about the other mods on that list.

Reactions: Jyzarc

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I've used Cogs of the Machine, and it's less buggy than many other mods I've used in Feed The Beast. Now, you're entitled to your opinion, but it's insulting that you dismiss it as a "Thermal Expansion copy." Cogs has a unique powernet completely different from other mods, and its machines are just as unique. This mod doesn't resemble Thermal Expansion in any way that I can see, and that point is kind of moot anyways since Thermal Expansion could be labelled a "IndustrialCraft copy" a lot more so than Cogs being a Thermal Expansion copy. On a side note, I actually DO agree with you about the other mods on that list.
Cogs of the machine is barely buggy. Redpower is way buggier (especially considering how long it took to update) and its not like IC2 or thermspansion at all. The pounder is a bit like the pulverizer, which is a bit like the macerater. pounder is actually quite bit different in that it gives you 1-3 instead of 2. You can also make other things like rocks. It also has a completely different power source. And a ruler, which IMO is essential

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
WIP doesn't really mean anything when talking about minecraft and its mods. Because of how the updates are, the game will never be finished until it gets abandoned, same goes for all mods. So in theory they are all WIP as long as there are stil updates to it. But I get your saying that a lot of bugs haven't been worked out. Which is why it SHOULDN'T be in the pack. And ok the bug with structure gen is understandable but I don't think there should be that many structures in the first place. I don't really like when mods add in their own types of creepers (like tropicraft, christmascraft etc) I guess because creepers are such classic minecraft mobs that it feels weird. But if there is gonna be another type of creeper it should be a lot more useful/scary and not just based on a mana system of one mod. I never said the dryads were useless. But it is entirely possible to have mobs that are useful and also not completely annoying. Look at cows in vanilla. Are they useful? extremely. Do they spawn freaking everywhere? no. They spawn on grass and when a chunk is loaded for the first time, they don't despawn or respawn, But at the same time they are renewable if the player wants to spend the extra time/resources on it. And at the very least they drop XP. My friends and I put it on our modded LP server and every time we entered our house (which the floor is made of wooden planks and its a good 20 blocks above sea level) there were 5-10 dryads. They just become extremely annoying, and we ended up spending more time killing them then actually playing so we just deleted it entirely. Then of course you can't even set it to a lower spawn frequency. I really like the spells and overall magic feel in it but its just not fun because of the mobs and world gen. And it definitely seems very unbalanced when playing with other mods because of the amount of mobs, structures, and even changes to the default inventory (mana bar) compared to the actual amount of content.

So you don't like the fact that it is adding things in and expanding them later? That's EXACTLY what thaumcraft is doing. Is there something wrong with that? The creeper (along with a battle chicken avatar) was added in to be something comical yet useful at the same time. And yes, you have said dryads were useless about six times now. You have expressed this opinion by saying that they should be a lot more useful and are annoying. Plus, there's this new thing called a "config file" it lets you change the how much mobs spawn in your world. Amazing right? Those two phrases in the same sentence express that you feel they are completely useless.the reason for having so many structures in the first place is because they are the main way of obtaining spells. If you had actually played the mod you would know this. And balance? Name a single thing that isn't balanced in it? Even the fabrication system is balanced in this mod. How exactly do mobs and structures unbalance mods? They're mobs and structures! I suppose you could live in the structures but that's about it. Is that a downside? No! It's an upside, it would allow new players to get into the "fun stuff" of mods with more ease not having to waste time gathering dirt to make their ugly little dirt huts that they'll desert in a day or two anyways. The default inventory? Okay, a little understandable. But really is that unbalanced? You are just wasting your personal opinion in the most sloppy way ever, there is not a single thing unbalanced about adding something to the default inventory. Does it give you any ridiculously large advantage in the game? No. And even if it did, ALL PLAYERS HAVE ONE. So as the line goes "If everyone's special, then nobody is." same here. if everybody has something overpowered, then it's not really that overpowered at all. Now you go on to say there's more mobs and structures than content! MOBS ARE CONTENT. STRUCTURES ARE CONTENT. Even without the mobs and structures, there is close to seventy spells added in the mod as well as an energy system and PLENTY of machines to use the energy on. You can make a teleporter, a shield for your base, a way to pull items out of thin air by sacrificing other items as long as you can make one of those items, a new furnace that works just as well as your powered furnace and has a small chance to double the XP you get, armor that replenishes it's durability as long as you have the mana to do it, and soon there will be a questing system, an API, and a way to choose between light and dark mages. Mithion is also considering the following to be added (this has been talked about in beta chat) a new item movement system, a way to absorb spawners (for the people that don't enjoy killing a thousand mob for that tier 5 soul shard) that involves sucking in levels of mana, a sorting system using keystones for the crystals, an actual story to the mod, a boss mage, and you don't even want to know how many other things the beta testers have cooked up. So tell me, does this look like a mod that's short on features?

Reactions: electroscape

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
So you don't like the fact that it is adding things in and expanding them later? That's EXACTLY what thaumcraft is doing. Is there something wrong with that? The creeper (along with a battle chicken avatar) was added in to be something comical yet useful at the same time. And yes, you have said dryads were useless about six times now. You have expressed this opinion by saying that they should be a lot more useful and are annoying. Plus, there's this new thing called a "config file" it lets you change the how much mobs spawn in your world. Amazing right? Those two phrases in the same sentence express that you feel they are completely useless.the reason for having so many structures in the first place is because they are the main way of obtaining spells. If you had actually played the mod you would know this. And balance? Name a single thing that isn't balanced in it? Even the fabrication system is balanced in this mod. How exactly do mobs and structures unbalance mods? They're mobs and structures! I suppose you could live in the structures but that's about it. Is that a downside? No! It's an upside, it would allow new players to get into the "fun stuff" of mods with more ease not having to waste time gathering dirt to make their ugly little dirt huts that they'll desert in a day or two anyways. The default inventory? Okay, a little understandable. But really is that unbalanced? You are just wasting your personal opinion in the most sloppy way ever, there is not a single thing unbalanced about adding something to the default inventory. Does it give you any ridiculously large advantage in the game? No. And even if it did, ALL PLAYERS HAVE ONE. So as the line goes "If everyone's special, then nobody is." same here. if everybody has something overpowered, then it's not really that overpowered at all. Now you go on to say there's more mobs and structures than content! MOBS ARE CONTENT. STRUCTURES ARE CONTENT. Even without the mobs and structures, there is close to seventy spells added in the mod as well as an energy system and PLENTY of machines to use the energy on. You can make a teleporter, a shield for your base, a way to pull items out of thin air by sacrificing other items as long as you can make one of those items, a new furnace that works just as well as your powered furnace and has a small chance to double the XP you get, armor that replenishes it's durability as long as you have the mana to do it, and soon there will be a questing system, an API, and a way to choose between light and dark mages. Mithion is also considering the following to be added (this has been talked about in beta chat) a new item movement system, a way to absorb spawners (for the people that don't enjoy killing a thousand mob for that tier 5 soul shard) that involves sucking in levels of mana, a sorting system using keystones for the crystals, an actual story to the mod, a boss mage, and you don't even want to know how many other things the beta testers have cooked up. So tell me, does this look like a mod that's short on features?

Last time I checked out this mod there was no config for mob spawning. in fact im still not sure if there is one. I don't mind them adding in stuff and expanding on them later I just don't think it should be called WIP. I'm not quite sure if dryads have any uses but they are extremely annoying, they spawn everywhere and thats my biggest problem with the mod. What I meant by balanced wasn't over power/ under poweredness I meant like actual balance of the content of the game. Like the ratio of mobs/worldgen to other content. Thaumcraft for example has one generated structure that I know of and one naturally spawning mob and also a lot of other content. I think the only mods that should have a lot of mobs/structures are the actual like minecraft overhaul ones (like divine RPG) or mods that are dedicated mainly to adding mobs/structures (like mo creatures or better dungeons) I like the other features of this mod (the nexus, spells, the machines) but the mobs structures and mana bar make me not want to play it altogether

Status
Not open for further replies.