Thaumcraft aura nodes

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
So, I was on a test world and I found a bunch of wisps spawning. I decided to put on the goggles to see what was causing it and this is what I see: http://i.imgur.com/USXzY.jpg?1
I know it's an unstable node, but I didn't realize it could have such a high aura (and be so large) from something that was just part of world generation. Thought I would share this and see if anyone knows if this is common with this type of node or really anything about it. Finding detailed information on a lot of thaumcraft stuff isn't easy to come by.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
3k+ is the largest I've seen so far I would suspect that multiple nodes and possible a few silver trees (which create there own node) spawned in the area around this mega node then merged.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
3k+ is the largest I've seen so far I would suspect that multiple nodes and possible a few silver trees (which create there own node) spawned in the area around this mega node then merged.

That would be my guess as well, a bunch of random nodes spawned too close and ate each other into a monster nodezillia.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Well there were 2 nearby silverwood trees... about 20-50 blocks away. Except the closer one still had it's node and the further one I think didn't spawn with one, regardless while I was building around there it built up to over 4.5k/2.5k with dangerous levels of flux.

Edit: Well it is basically taking on a life of it's own at this point. Over 5k vis in it, dangerous flux. 9 Aura nodes are starting to converge on it from all sides to be consumed. I lag just by looking at it. It is pretty much the black hole of Aura nodes.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
Too bad it's a test world :)

1916 aura means it reaches up to 479 blocks away. Set up a chunk loader on top of it, build a magic base 200 blocks away (but away from other nodes, like far up in the sky) and you can start sinking the vis into useful stuff.

Remaker

Jul 29, 2019
Too bad it's a test world :)

1916 aura means it reaches up to 479 blocks away. Set up a chunk loader on top of it, build a magic base 200 blocks away (but away from other nodes, like far up in the sky) and you can start sinking the vis into useful stuff.

How did you know that? I mean, you obviously just divided 1916 by 4, but how did you know that was the formula? Are you reading the decompiled code? Because if you are, I have lots of questions that you might be able to answer.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Well now it is at 9388/4806 and is just massive. http://i.imgur.com/HuwMu.jpg
The silverwood tree in the picture had a pure node inside it. 'Had' being the key word... I watched it move towards the huge node and be consumed. It happened quite fast once they got relatively close, was surprising.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
If you're feeling brave, put a bunch of Crystal Clusters around. We can all see if it's possible to turn a whole chunk's Stone into Infused Ore.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
How did you know that? I mean, you obviously just divided 1916 by 4, but how did you know that was the formula? Are you reading the decompiled code? Because if you are, I have lots of questions that you might be able to answer.
I was as clueless as most as to why my nodes in the desert weren't growing, so I spent a couple of hours digging through the thaumcraft 3 thread on the minecraft forums. That hit gold. One post which was hardly commented on had exactly the right information needed on how node merging actually works. ( http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...updated-22122012/page__st__4760#entry20054550 )

I added the information to the thaumcraft 3 wiki, so it's now much easier to find :) Some of the information is actually incorrect based on my own observations, so I may correct it a bit later.

My calculation there is totally off btw, it's based on current aura not max aura, so that would have made it over 900 blocks and now over 2000. With a merge range of 96 blocks.

Reactions: LeC

Remaker

Jul 29, 2019
That information is fantastic. It also explains why my node building program wasn't working. I was planting Silverwood trees on top of each other in sequence. After 5 merges, I still had a tiny node. After reading this I tried planting the trees 10 blocks from the node and got more max aura gain with that one merge than from the other five put together.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
That information is fantastic. It also explains why my node building program wasn't working. I was planting Silverwood trees on top of each other in sequence. After 5 merges, I still had a tiny node. After reading this I tried planting the trees 10 blocks from the node and got more max aura gain with that one merge than from the other five put together.

Yes and as long as you give to time to deal with the flux you can basically "walk" the node were you want.