how to allocate more memory?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
So in FTB I'm crashing all the time because I run out of memory, and I want to allocate more, this is my memory in FTB:
b5378y.png

and in vanilla:

20kvl7a.png

I want the ''allocated memory'' to be more, and in the launcher I have it a 2 gb.

ps: I can't give you logs because they dont show up for me, and in the chat they banned me because I said I could not give them a log...

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I used to have mine set to 5.75gb, and then I started having forge trouble and had to uninstall/reinstall java... aaaaand now the max I can set it at is 1gb :/ My laptop is 6gb. So yeah I frequently run out of memory which sorta sucks :/

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
so you don't know a fix? I really need, constantly running out of memory but everyone in the chat says it isn't, like if they knew what it was.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I used to have mine set to 5.75gb, and then I started having forge trouble and had to uninstall/reinstall java... aaaaand now the max I can set it at is 1gb :/ My laptop is 6gb. So yeah I frequently run out of memory which sorta sucks :/
Old version 64 bit, new version 32 bit?

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
You can probably ignore the allocated. Its handled by minecraft and its just how much mc has asked to have atm. It never asks for the full 2 gigs or whatever right off the bat.

The used numbers are the main ones. Thats how much the game is actively using out of the max you have allowed.

That being said, if you have a bunch of junk running in the background, mc might not be able to reach the full 2 gigs as you are out of free memory to allocate.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
But every time it hits the number I get a lag spike and most of the time crash, I need to make that number go up! just like here and here.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
But every time it hits the number I get a lag spike and most of the time crash, I need to make that number go up! just like here and here.
The lag spike happens because you have too much memory allocated and java is freeing up memory only occasionally so the memory fills up before the timed job for freeing memory is scheduled and it will have to stop what it was doing to free the memory sooner but it won't free enough so the problem gets slightly worse every time. 1G should be enough for FTB, if you're using more than that you should be figuring out what the hell is taking all that memory instead of allocating more.

soccerdog33

Jul 29, 2019
1G should be enough for FTB, if you're using more than that you should be figuring out what the hell is taking all that memory instead of allocating more.

I have 16 Gigabytes of RAM and whenever I host a LAN server for me and my brother, I'll run out of memory within a few minutes. This is with nothing open, and I doubt anything I would have open, like necessary windowns programs, would be using anywhere close to even 2 GBs...

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I have 16 Gigabytes of RAM and whenever I host a LAN server for me and my brother, I'll run out of memory within a few minutes. This is with nothing open, and I doubt anything I would have open, like necessary windowns programs, would be using anywhere close to even 2 GBs...
Well yeah obviously server needs more memory when it is handling more than one player but the client doesn't need more than 1G. Opening to LAN should get its own extra memory instead of using the same as the client to prevent running out when using it. But if you are using the LAN feature regularly you could just make an actual server.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you run the server on the same machine where you play, you have a double batch of memory taken, basically.

I got myself an old computer with 2GB ram, and with it running a linux and only a server, it is just fine up to 5-6 players.
My guess is that it's not even the memory that prevents more players, but the CPU, as it is quite an old and used one now.