Why FTB_launcher always run java 32 bits as default?

Status
Not open for further replies.

francogp

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I have java 32 bits (because chrome and other explorers need that for java programs in windows) and 64 bits (developer purposes), but FTB launcher choose java 32 bits as default.
It should choose the best (64bits in this case) for better performance with optifine, or it Should let me choose the java path (like MultiMC launcher).

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
I believe there is a setting in the java console that lets your pick, Though installing java64 SHOULD take care of any installation needed for 32bit browsers. My system only has Java 64 and FF/Chrome have no issues.

francogp

Jul 29, 2019
I believe there is a setting in the java console that lets your pick, Though installing java64 SHOULD take care of any installation needed for 32bit browsers. My system only has Java 64 and FF/Chrome have no issues.

Yes, but some plugins for chrome and firefox like Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.100.18 (NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy) requires java 32 bits, thats why I have both. The problem is that when I use optifine, I cant use the best configuration (like distance) because FTB launcher explicitly execute java 32 bits. It Should detect both configurations and choose the best (like MultiMC)

TruculentMC

Jul 29, 2019
You can choose the priority from Java control panel, try moving the 64bit version to the top of the list...

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
in the registry there is a key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\jar_auto_file\shell\open\command (the jar_auto_file can be different and be found in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jar) ensure it uses the 64 bit directory

francogp

Jul 29, 2019
in the registry there is a key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\jar_auto_file\shell\open\command (the jar_auto_file can be different and be found in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.jar) ensure it uses the 64 bit directory

I don't have any of those entry's.
If I execute other JAR programs, they are using java 64 bits by default. Except FTB. It is executing the 32 bit version. If I use vanilla Minecraft launcher or other launcher like MultiMC, they use 64 bit Java version by default.

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I've got a similar bit of trouble, I've got some things that have to be 32 (and the old version of it too) due to legacy issues, and yet I want minecaft to run happily under 64. Any ideas?

cwtrex

Jul 29, 2019
I just had this exact same issue. I have an application that requires the 32bit version of Java; however, I obviously want to use the 64 bit version for FTB. The 32 bit version was being used by default.

I found the correct registry entry to modify here:
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\jarfile\shell\open\command
The value was pointed towards my x86 version of java. I simply erased the (x86) portion and it was pointed correctly to my 64bit by doing so.

WARNING: By modifying this entry, it MAY break your 32 bit Java application.

You can get around making this change, by running either the 64-bit applications or the 32-bit applications via command-line or script.

I created a file called "FTB Launcher.bat" and placed this code inside:
Code:
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\FTB\FTB_Launcher.jar"

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
You could just uninstall 32 bit Java.

I don't understand this comment? Will every java program run fine in 64bit Java? Is there any chance of a program needing 32bit java to run?

Just curious , it would make java updating a lot easier for me if I didn't need to update both the 32bit and 64bit. If I could just get rid of the 32bit java.

Sorry for the derail. I am extremely curious though.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand this comment? Will every java program run fine in 64bit Java? Is there any chance of a program needing 32bit java to run?

Yes. Simply: 64 bit java can run 32 bit applications.
There is not a need to have both versions of Java on your computer. That includes use for 32 bit browsers. I have 32 bit Firefox and Chrome, and they both have full (working) functionality with my 64 bit Java.
(That is me calling bullshit for the "My browser is 32 bit, so I need 32 bit java for it to work" excuse).

Status
Not open for further replies.